Next car dilemma

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Next car dilemma

Post by Aaron »

I'm not sure what my next car should be. I want it to be a pretty work intensive build, and budget of under 75k. I'm open to ideas, here's a few I've been toying with:

1998-2002 Firebird, with a twin turbo all aluminum 7.0l LSX. Cheap, scary fast, good overall performance. But it's easy to do, has been done a million times over, and wouldn't catch attention until its rolling smoke down the highway.

1991-2004 NSX-T, with a LS7 swap. Fast, great overall performance, looks fantastic, original. Expensive as hell, could prove difficult with engine size and transmission mating.

1974-1984 VW Rabbit, with a new 2.0l direct injected TDi diesel and 6-speed. Hyper mileage (60mpg plus), quick enough, cheap enough, competitive AutoX toy, reliable. Doesn't compare to the other choices, and how much money will I throw at a $1000 car to save a few hundred in gas?

I'm torn. Any ideas along these lines?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: Next car dilemma

Post by crzyone »

I'd go with an LSX FD RX-7

It's fast, light weight, handles amazing and would have a bullet proof drivetrain. I know it's been done, but they are fairly rare. Parts are there to buy, no guess work on mounting.

The FD has been said to handle better than an NSX, much higher skid pad and slalom ratings stock for stock. They have a timeless design, and a ton of aftermarket bodies and parts to make it look and handle just the way you want.

The only down side is I know you are pretty tall, so sitting in an FD would be needed to make sure you fit :-D

I'd ditch the F-body idea unless going fast in a straight line is your goal. Personally, I'd rather build a GTO. Independant suspension and imo looks better. They have a cool factor here in Canada because they are rare, have to import them. Not sure if you see them enough down there to get sick of them. One of the nicest interiors I've ever seen on a North American car. Love the suede on the doors and dash.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:I'd go with an LSX FD RX-7

It's fast, light weight, handles amazing and would have a bullet proof drivetrain. I know it's been done, but they are fairly rare. Parts are there to buy, no guess work on mounting.

The FD has been said to handle better than an NSX, much higher skid pad and slalom ratings stock for stock. They have a timeless design, and a ton of aftermarket bodies and parts to make it look and handle just the way you want.

The only down side is I know you are pretty tall, so sitting in an FD would be needed to make sure you fit :-D

I'd ditch the F-body idea unless going fast in a straight line is your goal. Personally, I'd rather build a GTO. Independant suspension and imo looks better. They have a cool factor here in Canada because they are rare, have to import them. Not sure if you see them enough down there to get sick of them. One of the nicest interiors I've ever seen on a North American car. Love the suede on the doors and dash.
Hmm, hadn't considered that. I do like the way they look, I' enjoy the handling, and it wouldn't be very expensive. I'd have to have a 7.0 twin turbo of course. Leave the body kits, I haven't even seen a spoiler that I liked. Skidpads are relative, new rubber will bounce that by .05. But they do handle better, the NSX, like the Fiero, likes to push. I drove one a while back, it had a racing seat, but ya fitting was an issue for sure.

The newer F-bodies handle well just stock. I was amazed how quick my Dad's SS took the Auto-X track. Dead serious, it really does handle well, and not only that, but they are a blast and a half to drive at the limits because the tail seems to know exactly where you want it (In line, or hanging out). They are a little overweight, and interior quality sucks balls. Not to mention dime a dozen. GTO's are fucking big ugly and plain. I hate their ass end, and the front end until you get the LS2 hood and Monaro front end.

I also forgot to throw out there a E46 M3 with a LSX swap. Fantastic handling, not too expensive, nice interiors, got that BMW class. But wiring would be a nightmare.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

A friend of mine up here in Cheyenne is looking to sell his NSX I think so if you decide to go that route, I could get you two in touch.

That would be a pretty sweet build I think. I really like the looks of them, just are underpowered.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

NSX or Rabbit are the only cool ones. Everyone has a fast Fbody.

Neither of those will cost $75,000 to build, I'd build both if you really have that kind of budget. Daily the rabbit.
BC2002SS

Post by BC2002SS »

how about VW R32 drive train in a 93ish VW Corrado.
2002 Camaro SS
1986 Fiero GT 3800SC 4T65E-HD
slp 1.8 rockers, slp headers, northstar throttle body, Z06 MAF,3.3" pulley,160 drilled stat,
12" Corvette brakes
1.81 60' 13.004 @102
new best 1.939 60' 12.909 @ 104.50
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

If you want to spend money, buy a Porsche. 928's seem to be very easy to spend money on.

Check out what this guy's done: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=40328

Probably over $20K in the engine, but will be 395 cid and 450+ RWHP when complete (headers and full exhaust).
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

Ultima GTR...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Factory Five GTM

Or Cobra... Or Daytona Coupe...
emod19

Post by emod19 »

1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:If you want to spend money, buy a Porsche. 928's seem to be very easy to spend money on.

Check out what this guy's done: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=40328

Probably over $20K in the engine, but will be 395 cid and 450+ RWHP when complete (headers and full exhaust).
Very nicely done, extremely nicely done.

But I'm a 914 fan. I know, weird huh?

But if I got a 914, it'd be too much like a Fiero to me.

Ultima GTR's are just plain ugly. They could out-fly a F16 and I'd still rather have a bicycle.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
emod19

Post by emod19 »

1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.