Tial Wastegate vs. Tial "style" wastegate

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Tial Wastegate vs. Tial "style" wastegate

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

For my new turbo setup I bought a 38mm Tial MV-S wastegate. Well my buddy for his twin turbo Mustang bought a pair of Tial style wastegates of the ching chonger variety. I figured we could put them side by side, and see the difference or similarities between a the real deal, and a penny pincher.

The real Tial is the black one, and the fake is the purple. Click thumbnails for larger views

First pic we can see a couple of differences. The body of the Tial is stainless. The body of the ching chong is not. What is it? Steel but its not stainless. You can also see that the fire ring for the Tial is stainless as well. From the color difference, the ching chong is not a stainless fire ring.

Another view

Here you can see the clamps. Tial on the left, fake on the right

The differences in clamps seems quite apparant. The tial is a finely machined. The ching chong, is just that. I mean it looks like a blind person machined and assembled the clamp.

Finally the valve. Here you can see that the Tial is a stainless valve.

The Ching chong is not stainless. Does that really matter? If you want it to last, sure. I didn't really really take any pics of the barb fittings, nothing really noticeably different between those parts.

Overall the Tial is just a higher quality part. You also pay a higher price for it as well. However the Tial MV-S isn't all that much more expensive then the older 38mm Tial wastegates. The great thing about the MV-s is that it has Vband on both the inlet and the outlet. Another cool feature of the mvs is that it has a tapered outlet to the dump. Meaning, the outlet of the wastegate, isn't 38mm like the older Tial wastegates. This tapers, so you can use a larger pipe for even more flow.

I know a lot of people here don't have turbo setups, but if ever contemplating it, maybe you will find this info usefull on whether or not to spend the extra money for the real Tial.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Emc209i

Re: Tial Wastegate vs. Tial "style" wastegate

Post by Emc209i »

Shaun, this is one of the most informative posts you have ever made. Spend more time doing stuff like this, and less time thinking about Arch. Good work!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Ditto! Actual investigation from Shaun! Bravo!

I always try to avoid Chinese products... Of course this post was typed on an Eee PC that was made in China :(

For BMW's there's a diagnostic scanner called a GT1. If you search for BMW GT1 on flea-bay, you'll see a few in the US with prices in the $1200-$1800 range but a whole lot more that list "Location: China" in the $600-$800 range. They've good at copying shit and their government does not care about intellectual property, copyright violations, etc. as long as they can sell product. They're waging economic war against us.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Very much like the $22 VAG-COM cables and basic CDs the chinese sell my friends full version was like $450. I've been considering buying one to turn off the damn seatbelt chimes in the A4.

I love that they both have MADE IN USA etched in them.

Great post shaun.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Technicality, but both of those parts are cast iron. They are just different grades of cast. And the non-cast parts of the wastegates are surely different, one probably being stainless the other not. If you're ever not sure if something is stainless or not, use a magnet. MOST modern stainless steels are non-magnetic.
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Shaun, thanks for the comparo. Good to see you contributing some Tech to RFT. And better yet, some tech that your buddy V8Archie will never tackle.