brake line nut

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

dgzfiero
Live from Ard's Cricket Ranch

brake line nut

Post by dgzfiero »

How important is the nonthreaded end space of the brake line nut? I had to use vise grips on both of the fronts to get them off. It mangled them pretty bad. The only nuts I could find in town have the threads all the way to the end. I couldn't find any specific brake nuts just these generic steel ones with plating.
I can wait till Monday to get the new ones end cut to the same size if its an issue. The head on the new ones are .390 compared to the 12mm of the originals. The length is the same.
Emc209i

Re: brake line nut

Post by Emc209i »

I'd like to help you, but I very honestly don't know. I've never had the opportunity to observe how the collar seats inside the caliper. I do know that the bleeder has a precision cut seat that the tip fits into, but that's not any help.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer this soon.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

This is where the hard line goes to the rubber line. I'm changing the rubber lines out for stainless. The old ones are all cracked and brittle. I didn't see any signs of them swelling or anything.
I don't see a seat or anything in the new stainless lines or the old rubber ones. I just don't want to tear it back apart if for some reason that step is needed.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Did you cut the tube? Planning to reflare?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Are you sure the new Flare nut is metric? Don't know if it's just a 'around here' thing, but I have never seen a brass metric flare nut, they are always steel of some type.

I have gotten and used metric flare nuts that are treaded to the end, if you look into the end of your flex hose you will see that it is treaded all the way down to the seat.
dgzfiero

Post by dgzfiero »

I cut the tubing with a tubing cutter. I am going to reflare it. The new nuts are steel, probably zinc plated. The chromate treatment gives them the yellowish look.
Pocket

Post by Pocket »

Mesh the threads of the new/old nuts together. Next take a caliper and make sure the ID is the same. You're checking the difference from std fittings vs metric. Metric tubing is slightly smaller OD than std so you should know pretty quick

The fitting just pushes the flare into the seat, its end shape doesnt matter. Only ones you have to watch for are O-ring fittings, but brake/trans lines dont have to worry about them