Is this a fake Bosch pump?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Is this a fake Bosch pump?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

My dad bought a couple off eBay:

The ones he got don't look like the fake described/shown in these links:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/117585-fake- ... pumps.html
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... p=14557718
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll28 ... sch%20044/

Suspect pump on the left, real on the right:

Shaun41178(2)

Re: Is this a fake Bosch pump?

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I see a couple of minor differences, but not sure if it is fake or ching chong. From ebay for half the price of a normal bosch? Then its prob a knock off.

Then again, you need to find out where Bosch gets their pumps from, unless they make their own. Afterall, the same company could be supplying Bosch afterall as whoever is selling them on ebay.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Bosch absolutely makes their own.

The only suspicious aspect of the one on the left is the part mark. It's not the same as the real Bosch part mark.

The linked pages comment on the smaller inlet on the fake pump. The suspect pump we have has the same size inlet as the real one.

The fake pump in the pictures has a different color pot metal used for the outlet casting. The suspect one we have looks just like the real one.

Like I said, the only difference is the part mark. You can see the part number on the side of the suspect pump.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

there appears to be a possible second washer on the outlet of the suspect pump too. Not sure if that means anything or not.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The outlets with the spring loaded check valve is very common on all mercedes bosch pumps, but I guess that would be easy enough to copy. Everything from my SL to my E, to the CE have had those check valves.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Both my 'real' 044 have had fittings on them similar to the pump on the right. The fitting on the left is def. not correct.