Multiple video feeds on a common time index

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Multiple video feeds on a common time index

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've mentioned elsewhere that I want to take The Mule to a standing mile later this year.

Since that's a big effort, I'd like to take some video. What I imagine the finished product for the run itself would look like is a multi-frame setup with a 16x9 or other high aspect ratio video in the top two thirds or so with three small frames across the bottom. One would be a camera on my feet, another would be on the tach and the last would be on my face (eyes since I'll be wearing a helmet). I've seen Touge battle videos with setups like this, usually just tach, just pedals or both. I don't think I've seen one with three subframes.

What's the correct terminology for the smaller frames in the main frame?

What's the least expensive way to do a good job with this? Make a product people might actually want to watch (I know nobody wants to look at The Mule, but I'm talking about production quality of the video).
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Multiple video feeds on a common time index

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Picture in picture is the phrase I think you are looking for.

For what you are wanting to do, you will obviously need three cameras. I would def go with high def as well. Don't panic, you can get them cheap. Go Pro is an obvious choice but have no zoom on them. Which I am thinking you will only need a zoom for the camera on you, unless you find a way to mount it close.

You can get HD camcorders for like $90, then you will just have to fab up some sort of suction cup or mount system to put it where you want. Velcro could work. Of course the Go pros come with suction mounts

The software I use only allows for one pic in pic although I have never tried to insert more than one. I am using pinnacle studio plus but its several years old, so maybe a newer version can insert more than mine. Adobe Premier is a good editing software, but it might be a bit pricey.

If you are doing the mile, then in addition to the cameras where you mentioned, I would mount one in the car showing the track as well so people when watching will know in relation to where you are at on the mile.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I guess I wasn't clear... large frame at the top would be the view ahead.

Hadn't heard of a Go Pro... I'll check those out.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

A friend just bought a gopro and this video may actually be perfect for you, they put it in all different positions on a lot of different cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1InGJWvC-iQ
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Cool. I was a headless chicken all weekend and didn't have time to look up specs on those.

How can I record multiple streams at once, then put them together into a *synchronized* picture-in-picture arrangement?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

what you will do is just record the video on the separate cameras, and it will be your editing software that can put them all into one time index. You can use a sound marker in each video, for reference, so as all the videos are in sync with each other.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

IE, do it the old fashioned way.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

GoPro: http://gopro.com/

ChaseCam: http://www.chasecam.com/

The ChaseCam DIVA looks like exactly what I want... but it's pri$ey. The basic version is $1200 and I bumped it to $1500 with some pretty basic options like... a mounting bracket (well, not *just* a mounting bracket, but essential options drive the price up quickly). Having evolved from the Cone Cam, it is definitely motorsports oriented and it can also do OBDII datalogging (albeit with another pri$ey accessory cable). It has its own HD camera as well as inputs for 4 lipstick ("bullet", 'tev) cameras and can record to a 32GB SD card.

I'd need multiple Go Pros that start at $180 for bare-bones setups and would need a few options, so figure at least $800 for a setup capable of producing the video I want to make. The Go Pro looks like it would be FAR easier to use to make a walk-around video in the paddock, so I can take mad tyte phat video of all the alcohol fueled 30 psi Ford GT's that show up
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the hardware will be up there, unless you can find someone with a gopro or camera to borrow. They are relatively cheap, so quite a few people do have them. You might get lucky and someone local will have something.

The software to put 4 separate movies into one is something that might be rare. That software might cost more then your regular video editing software as that sort of editing is rarely done. Most pic in pic software only allows one smaller pic in the original. Setting up 3-4 will be harder to find. Might just have to make more than 1 video

Best buy does have some HD camcorders starting as low as $50. Now I don't have one so I can't vouch for the pic and audio quality. WIth a video of this nature, I def think you are going to want something that will pick up the audio pretty well.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

I don't have a Gopro myself ( yet), but theres a guy on our SX4 forum that has one and makes some amazing videos from all locations on the car. He claims it's very versatile and robust. It does HD and all kind of cool shit, deffinitely worth looking into Will.