Moderator: crzyone

Emc209i

Need a five speed shifter...

Post by Emc209i »

Anyone got an extra?
fieroguru

Re: Need a five speed shifter...

Post by fieroguru »

Just modify the 4 speed shifter that is in the car. In the pic below there is a 5 speed shifter on the left, and two 4 speed shifters on the right. Both of the 4 speeds have been converted to 5 speed function, but using 2 different methods:

The center one had the spring loaded lever for the reverse lockout removed (just cut off at the pivot point) and the far right one just had the adjustable level that pushes against the spring loaded lever removed (take off the 10mm bolt and remove the bracket it holds into place). Both shifters also had the spring on the vertical shaft just behind the reverse lockup mechanism either removed or just the end unhooked.

If you really want to get fancy, you can remove these two parts as well:
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Excellent information! Thank you very much! I've got two four speed shifters to work with. I've always be meaning to figure out what V8Archie was doing to use them with the F40, just never got around to it. I was worried that the base would be different and would have the incorrect anchor points for the shifter cables, but the base is identical to the five speed's.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

Emc209i wrote:Excellent information! Thank you very much!

I've always be meaning to figure out what V8Archie was doing to use them with the F40, just never got around to it.
Glad I could help.

My LS4/F40 thread documents the modifications I made to the 4 speed for my F40 swap... that's were some of the pictures above came from.