WTB steel LS1 manifolds (F-body, Corvette)

Sell your parts/cars here. Parts & Cars - not just for "partscars."

Moderator: crzyone

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

WTB steel LS1 manifolds (F-body, Corvette)

Post by Series8217 »

I want to buy the hydroformed steel LS1 manifolds that you have sitting in your garage. I am not interested in cast iron manifolds; I need to be able to mod them..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: WTB steel LS1 manifolds (F-body, Corvette)

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

My dad has a bunch of both cast and fabbed ones to try on his 5.3 Datsun. I already told Fair he'd have first dibs on the collection once we picked the ones we're going to use, however.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:My dad has a bunch of both cast and fabbed ones to try on his 5.3 Datsun. I already told Fair he'd have first dibs on the collection once we picked the ones we're going to use, however.
Lolz... small world I guess. I was going to send them to Terry to test fit for me anyway :-P
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

What are you building Steven?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

A big smog legal V8 in... something. Still investigating various chassis. Probably going to use an LSx due to good cost, performance and availability.

Current platforms being investigated include:
  • E46 (ideal choice if I can work out some smog-legal manifolds; I'm an EE/Software Engineer so the CAN bus problem is not a problem)
  • E39 (second choice for BMW chassis but I would probably just buy an M5 instead)
  • 968 (with fixed headlight conversion.. otherwise blegh!)
Note: I'm not including an E36 because if the E36 can be made to work the E46 can too, and I prefer the newer chassis for looks.

If I do a BMW chassis it would be a high-end build and probably dual-purpose track/street car. $$$$ suspension and would use an LS3 or maybe even an LS7.

The Porsche would be an extreme budget build. I already have a set of Porsche Boxster wheels, and I would use these. The only changes to the interior would be a cage, racing seats, and steering wheel. I would probably just use an LS1, mildly modified. There are kits available. Smog may take some work as I'm not sure about manifolds.

I am staying away from imports because they've been done alot, and they attract the police even when you're not doing anything wrong. If I did do an import, it would be part of my 'classic car' plan, which consists of either a 1974 Celica with a Lexus V8 (the import) or a mid-engine twin-turbo LSx Corvair with C5 suspension (the domestic).
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:A big smog legal V8 in... something. Still investigating various chassis. Probably going to use an LSx due to good cost, performance and availability.

Current platforms being investigated include:
  • E46 (ideal choice if I can work out some smog-legal manifolds; I'm an EE/Software Engineer so the CAN bus problem is not a problem)
  • E39 (second choice for BMW chassis but I would probably just buy an M5 instead)
Note: I'm not including an E36 because if the E36 can be made to work the E46 can too, and I prefer the newer chassis for looks.

If I do a BMW chassis it would be a high-end build and probably dual-purpose track/street car. $$$$ suspension and would use an LS3 or maybe even an LS7.

The Porsche would be an extreme budget build. I already have a set of Porsche Boxster wheels, and I would use these. The only changes to the interior would be a cage, racing seats, and steering wheel. I would probably just use an LS1, mildly modified. There are kits available. Smog may take some work as I'm not sure about manifolds.

I am staying away from imports because they've been done alot, and they attract the police even when you're not doing anything wrong. If I did do an import, it would be part of my 'classic car' plan, which consists of either a 1974 Celica with a Lexus V8 (the import) or a mid-engine twin-turbo LSx Corvair with C5 suspension (the domestic).
Sounds badass, I can't wait to start my next project (Whatever it will be).

Use an aluminum block. They're pimp. And light too!

I love the E46, and the handling stock of the entire series is fantastic. My girlfriend has a 325ix with an auto tranny, like the most un-sporty 3 series you can buy, and the handling is still great. Very neutral, a lot of grip, great steering feedback and a quick box. They are great cars. But they can be a little on the chunky side if you're building an all out race car.

The E39 is also a good car, not so aggressive on the looks of course, and the M5's look slick. Heavier and bigger, do you need the 4 door/5 seat full size? If not I'd stick with the E46.

I'm not a fan of the Porsche's personally. How about a 914?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:
Budget Porsche builds do not exist. They get sold as unfinished projects when the budget is broken.

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=40328
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote: I love the E46, and the handling stock of the entire series is fantastic. [...] They are great cars. But they can be a little on the chunky side if you're building an all out race car.
Track-ready E46 M3s get down to about 2900 lbs. There's a lot to take out. Still "heavy" but not too bad for street/track car. See: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=775038 for such a build. This car was recently featured in Grassroots Motorports.
The E39 is also a good car, not so aggressive on the looks of course, and the M5's look slick. Heavier and bigger, do you need the 4 door/5 seat full size? If not I'd stick with the E46.
Yeah, the E39 is a pig, which is why it's not #1 on my list. The reason it's still #2 is because the LSx WILL fit with slightly modified (I think they'll still pass inspection) stock manifolds, so I know I can do that build if the E46 falls through.
I'm not a fan of the Porsche's personally. How about a 914?
Too old.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Series8217 wrote:
Budget Porsche builds do not exist. They get sold as unfinished projects when the budget is broken.

You sent me a link to a build involving a Porsche V8...
Last edited by Series8217 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: The Porsche would be an extreme budget build. I already have a set of Porsche Boxster wheels, and I would use these. The only changes to the interior would be a cage, racing seats, and steering wheel. I would probably just use an LS1, mildly modified. There are kits available. Smog may take some work as I'm not sure about manifolds.

You sent me a link to a build involving a Porsche V8...
That thread also has some of the bullshit that guy went through dealing with the 928 body/chassis. It's pretty ugly. Every time I think "one of them front Porches" would be a good car to build up, I go spend a few minutes looking at that thread and come to my senses.

My cousin used to date a gearhead. He's a Volvo guy but dabbled with a 944. It basically broke the bank for him, and was still a crap can. He got rid of it. Admittedly he was in college at the time, but his dad had money.

"There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" applies to Porsches in spades.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote: Track-ready E46 M3s get down to about 2900 lbs. There's a lot to take out. Still "heavy" but not too bad for street/track car. See: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=775038 for such a build. This car was recently featured in Grassroots Motorports.
325xi with TrailBlazer SS AWD...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Whats the going rate for these manifolds? I know someone who might have a set.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote: Track-ready E46 M3s get down to about 2900 lbs. There's a lot to take out. Still "heavy" but not too bad for street/track car. See: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=775038 for such a build. This car was recently featured in Grassroots Motorports.
That's really not bad at all.

Pretty cool M3 in that build, but holy shit. A $3200 AIRBOX??? Ya, not like an intake manifold, or a set of throttle bodies, the FUCKING AIRBOX is $3200. Ohmigod.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Sounds like the Porsche build would end the same way as the Fiero then. I'll pass!
The Dark Side of Will wrote: 325xi with TrailBlazer SS AWD...
Yeah I have had that on my mind ever since you posted the pic of the Trailblazer SS AWD pan in your thread. I will definitely look into fitting it if the LSx fits to begin with.
Aaron wrote:A $3200 AIRBOX??? Ya, not like an intake manifold, or a set of throttle bodies, the FUCKING AIRBOX is $3200. Ohmigod.
The car was built by the company that makes the airbox, so consider it a $400 airbox for them ;-). BMW parts markup is ridiculous...
Shaun41178(2) wrote:Whats the going rate for these manifolds? I know someone who might have a set.
Not sure exactly but there was a local set on craigslist a few weeks ago for $60. (http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/2605479602.html)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Check ebay and www.car-parts.com for prices. $100 a pair strikes me as reasonable... Tough to find C5 Corvette manifolds (for example) for less than this on www.car-parts.com
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I have a set of LS1 C5 corvette manifolds in my garage, I just did long tubes and midpipes on an FRC. If you're still looking for them, I can ask the owner of the car if he wants to part with them.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Yes please!
CincinnatiFiero

What are they worth? Him nor I really know.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

$100.

I only want them if they're the steel ones, not the cast iron ones.

Already got some F-body ones, just need the 'vette ones now.
CincinnatiFiero

They're steel, if you still have my number text me your address and I'll get a shipping quote
CincinnatiFiero

PM me an address dude