Off the deep end, for fun

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Atilla the Fun

Re: Off the deep end, for fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:You're going to put a single 14G on a 350ci?
Is 14G the common name for the turbo used to get the early-'90s Eclipse to 210 HP? Assuming so, then don't think about cubic inches, think about airflow. Don't think 350 cubes, think 105 HP. Putting a 14G on a SBC 350 may be absurd, but putting it on a 105-HP engine is absurd? I don't think so. I think that the 210-HP 2.0L Mitsu engine wouldn't be much over 105 HP without it's turbo.
Know of any other donors in that age range and power level, that I can find at Pick-N-Pull?
The last 14G I saw, I skipped, because at the time I thought I needed a matched pair.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Why not use a 5.9 cummins turbo. You will be similar displacement and RPM, plus a turbo off an older 12V would likely suit the engine best. The 12V would also be gutless without the turbo.

The 96-98 12V was rated at 180hp, but that was completely stock. The turbo is capable of a lot more with different fueling. They were 215hp with a manual transmission.

98-00 the engine made 215hp. I imagine the turbo is that same, just higher boost pressure and more fueling.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

crzyone wrote:Why not use a 5.9 cummins turbo. You will be similar displacement and RPM, plus a turbo off an older 12V would likely suit the engine best. The 12V would also be gutless without the turbo.

The 96-98 12V was rated at 180hp, but that was completely stock. The turbo is capable of a lot more with different fueling. They were 215hp with a manual transmission.

98-00 the engine made 215hp. I imagine the turbo is that same, just higher boost pressure and more fueling.
Seems like some excellent thinking. I'll ruminate on it a bit. Thank you.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Isn't that an HX35?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Dunno, but I guess it wasn't me whom you were asking.
Picking up more new blades this morning, so expect new progress pics tonight.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Since diesels generally have lousy airflow, diesel turbos are designed to achieve a higher pressure ratio with lower airflow than turbos for gasoline engines.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Now the in-trunk stuff is mostly mocked-up, the next part is getting under the car, and adding some steel to anchor what you've seen.
I started on this last night. First, I measured the actual subframe rails, they're 2.5" so I got some 3"x3"x 0.25"-wall square mild steel tubing, and marked off a 6.7" length for the driver side, and a 7.9" length for the right side. That's all I can fit. Before cutting it to length, I'm cutting away the seamed side to make it like an extra-deep C-channel. Pics will follow.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

In '88, There was a notchback option for the GTA. You could order your new GTA as a notchback, from any Pontiac dealer.
If I can get one of these, even a modern copy, then I can have the gooseneck without having to go hatch-less.
Here's a link to some good pics: http://www.gtanotchback.com/pictures/se ... hback.html
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

TEN pictures and none of them show the top of the decklid.

Fail.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Fail? For not reading your mind in advance? By me, or by him? http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Black88GTANotchback.html
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Atilla the Fun wrote:Fail? For not reading your mind in advance? By me, or by him? http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Black88GTANotchback.html
The dude at your first link was trying to show off a rare car... but didn't have *ANY* good photos of the dern part that makes it rare! %) :crazy:
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Gotcha.
So, does anyone either agree or disagree with the POSSIBILITY of this being made to work with a gooseneck?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Just like the glass, you'd have to unbolt it to hitch something up.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I was thinking more like making a big hole in it, right at the base of the window, hitch up right through the new deck. It might also need a notch at the top, since it extending a couple inches past the new glass reduces the angle of driveway dips it could do without hitting. But this notching wouldn't be obvious from the side view.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

this is my inspiration for what I'm currently working at.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

2 days of no forum. Why does this keep happening? Bad server / hosting?
Anyway, I made more progress:
While we're waiting for pics of my progress, here's the Competition Engineering 12-point roll-cage I'll be ordering as soon as I get my tax refund:
to go with my Competition Engineering sub-frame connectors:

Progress! I have both of my deep-channels cut, and finished grinding one. It's ready for a test-fit tonight, so expect pics tomorrow.

Now, back to the chassis stuff. These first 3 pics are my original plan for 2 different styles of sub-frame connectors:

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

But now I've seen this:

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Please note that I'm not happy with any cage I'm posting, they're all focused on protecting front-seat passengers only. None have any concern for back-seat usage, of any sort, nor are any of these concerned with anything behind the rear suspension. So my design will be altered, but still I'm starting with the C.E. stuff for basic mounting compatibility.

Here's a cage modified for racing:

But to show how a cage can be compatible with a nice interior, here's how you could get a cage in a then-new '92 Firehawk from any Pontiac dealer: