My NEW fiero turbo setup

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: My NEW turbo setup

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You're not really going to N/A this thing, are you?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Everything has a price
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Quit being cryptic and just share what's going on.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

if someone wanted to buy it, I would sell it for the right price.

I was looking at going n/a because I am concerned about a boost leak at each runner with how the intake is designed. Right now, the plenum has the 6 runners coming out of the bottom of it. They runners slide into aluminum hold downs which is where I think it might leak. I haven't tested it yet and its not a big deal to fix it would just take a little more fabrication to do.

My thought was to modify it to use silcone couplers, instead of the aluminum dohickies I have on it now to connect the plenum, I would use a 1/8th plate of aluminum cut to fit the intake manifold, have a 1" inch runner welded to that, then use silicone couplers to connect to the plenum. It will also add a bit of flexibility as well to the system. Something like tthis.

Like I said I haven't tested it yet to see if the current system leaks, but its a concern I have. I could be completely off however and they might not leak at all. I just want to test to be certain.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I think Shaun is getting a serious case of piffle thinking, where instead of diagnosing and fixing the problem you throw the entire idea out as rubbish and start replacing random parts. Shaun, I'd start with the IAC, just as Dennis Lagura those always go bad and cause uber KR's.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:if someone wanted to buy it, I would sell it for the right price.

I was looking at going n/a because I am concerned about a boost leak at each runner with how the intake is designed. Right now, the plenum has the 6 runners coming out of the bottom of it. They runners slide into aluminum hold downs which is where I think it might leak. I haven't tested it yet and its not a big deal to fix it would just take a little more fabrication to do.

My thought was to modify it to use silcone couplers, instead of the aluminum dohickies I have on it now to connect the plenum, I would use a 1/8th plate of aluminum cut to fit the intake manifold, have a 1" inch runner welded to that, then use silicone couplers to connect to the plenum. It will also add a bit of flexibility as well to the system. Something like tthis.

Like I said I haven't tested it yet to see if the current system leaks, but its a concern I have. I could be completely off however and they might not leak at all. I just want to test to be certain.
I think you won't have any trouble with those shaft collars... and if you do, some RTV should fix it right up. If you do have problems, I can't see it giving you any kind of huge leak.

How much have you test run it at this point?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Not much running at this point. I am overly anal with this setup since its a one off.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Not that anyone cares but I think I got the vacuum leak solved. I should have verified butterfly alignment and sealing before installation, but I figured it would be legit when I bought it. Then again it was on a race car so idle wasn't a big concern. So I am pretty sure I have the high idle issue solved. While the intake was off I installed my larger injectors.
WP_001109.jpg
WP_001109.jpg (159.75 KiB) Viewed 8218 times
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I care. I'll always care if it's a Shaun post that doesn't have to do with Old Europe.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

sweet, when's the dyno date?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Not that anyone cares but I think I got the vacuum leak solved. I should have verified butterfly alignment and sealing before installation, but I figured it would be legit when I bought it. Then again it was on a race car so idle wasn't a big concern. So I am pretty sure I have the high idle issue solved. While the intake was off I installed my larger injectors.
WP_001109.jpg

Good to hear. Glad you're putting the effort in to get the most out of your hardware.
How did you adjust the butterfly seal?
You on 60's now?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

A couple of the blades had become bent. The butterflys are removeable, and made out of aluminum. So they aren't very strong.

I had to straighten them, then after reseating them, had to shave them down on the edges a little at a time and retest fit. I did this over and over until they fit correctly. I verified by using a light and shining it in the runner while looking through from the other side. One butterfly was really bad, the others were pretty good. I also would slip a thin sheet of paper in between the butterfly and runner as well.

Not running 60's yet. doing 36s right now and see how they do. Fuel pressure will make them approx 42s
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Will quickly coming off throttle under boost bend the aluminum butterflies? Might be good to have a large BOV close to the intake. Not sure if a BOV would react quickly enough, hopefully they are strong enough.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

crzyone wrote:Will quickly coming off throttle under boost bend the aluminum butterflies? Might be good to have a large BOV close to the intake. Not sure if a BOV would react quickly enough, hopefully they are strong enough.
I can't see it being too hard to have someone cut a new set out of stronger material as long as the old set is still in tact.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Not sure. BOV should be alright I hope. A BOV opens before your foot even comes fully off the throttle. Just the slightest bit of vacuum will get them to crack open. I Just have a ching chonger now, but gonna go with the Tial Q eventually. I already looked into having new butterflies made but was told because of the varying degree taper on them, the place I took them to, said they can't be replicated with their machine and not sure of anyone locally that can do it.

obviously there is someone out there that can make new ones, but at what cost. Might not be worth it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Throttle blades should be parallelogrammed, not tapered. Basically "just" tilt the material in a fixture and then cut a circle with the mill.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I was going to post a pic of how thick stock RB26 shafts and blades are but I found something even cooler. This is a "shaftless" ITB system for the RB. Looks like something that you might be able to have made? Probably prohibitively expensive but neat.

This should be worth a few HP.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Snazzy... where do those come from?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Snazzy... where do those come from?
http://www.atpowerthrottles.com/
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

They have a "universal" V8 kit with single throttles that they'll sell me for... 2134 POUNDS. And I'll still have to come up with my own manifold to mount them to.