My NEW fiero turbo setup

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

Re: My NEW turbo setup

Post by ericjon262 »

I love how you talk shit non stop about people not finishing their cars, or not putting it on a dyno, or not taking it to the track, but when it's your turn, you seem to disappear, and don't post in your own build thread any dyno updates, track times, or even just a video of the car doing anything but idle. all bark no bite. Several of us were looking forward to seeing the results of this build, guess we won't see shit.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

crzyone wrote:Will quickly coming off throttle under boost bend the aluminum butterflies? Might be good to have a large BOV close to the intake. Not sure if a BOV would react quickly enough, hopefully they are strong enough.
Funny you stated this. The blades were such a soft aluminum, they were getting tweaked once the engine was up to temp. It would idle fine, and when I would snap the throttle, the butterflys would not return to full close because one blade would slightly bend. I had new butterflies cut(maxbore.com), and I also drilled additional ports for the iac valve instead of using the same vacuum manifold for IAC and for the MAP sensor. This was throwing off my readings and causing a huge run rich condition. Basically the IAC is a vacuum leak.
WP_20150828_002.1.jpg
WP_20150828_002.1.jpg (137.61 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Interesting. Glad you found a fix
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

we will see if its fixed after several heat cycles and positive pressure from the snail. Im just hoping this is finally it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Steel butterflies? Good find!
Sounds like you're really getting this thing together. Having the perseverance to stick through the details to make it run right separates the men from the boys.
Will be great to see it finally turn tires in anger.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

not steel. aluminum butterflies. They appear to be a better quality. not as soft. I was hoping for brass, but maxbore chose aluminum as I never specified upon delivery.

If you ever get around to using yours Will, I would verify fitment of the butterflies before bolting the intake on. I suspect yours has some gaps too.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The strength of aluminum can vary tremendously by alloy and heat treatment. These intakes seem to be nice back yard castings, so it's not surprising that they missed out on some engineering.

I may end up milling down my original stacks to bolt on some extrude-a-bodies... sounds like less work
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nice nickel.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Channeling Master Tuner Akimoto.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I wasn't able to afford his dime package. I am a Fiero owner after all
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Nice nickel.
now I see it...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I wasn't able to afford his dime package. I am a Fiero owner after all

I would have kept the injector where it was and ditched the distributor, though.
Are the original injector bungs pointed at the valves? No you have one that isn't, which may (probably?) impact that cylinder's mixture quality and distribution relative to the others.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the originals point at the back of the valve just fine. I kept the dizzy to see if it would work and runnable which I have proven. Knocking out that nickle is no biggie if going to Dis

I made the switch to e85 since a station opened here in the meantime too.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I bought some new toys. I need a tach that reads higher than 6500 and my factory coolant temp took a dump. I can't seem to figure out whats wrong so instead of waste more time, spending money is easier.
WP_20160302_003.jpg
WP_20160302_003.jpg (180.65 KiB) Viewed 7467 times
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Been running e85 for several months now. If you have it in your area and can tune for it I say go for it. Quick spool, cooler engine temps and good power. So far no adverse effects. Do your research though. I am keeping a close eye on things
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the only real problem with e85 is that the engine burns way more of it.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I just put premium in the daily, and it was $2.19/gal. E85 here was about $1.60 today I think. About .60 cents spread. Its actually cheaper than running 93 at this price even having to use 30% more. Even if it wasn't, the higher octane is worth it for me. Its not for everyone and you have to do the math to see if its financially worth it vs the octane and performance increase.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Dang your e85 is expensive. Premium here costs about the same, but I topped off with e85 today at $1.25/gal.

Umm, ya, the shit kicks ass. I wish my high pressure fuel pump could fuel 100% e85, but it can't, so even with the aftermarket low pressure pump I don't go over 3/4 e85.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The DSM community used to say that race fuel was DSM crack, but I think it has been supplanted by E85.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I wish we could get E85 up here.... Apparently it doesn't vaporize very well in cold weather so it can't be used during our winters.