My new Fiero.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

VF1SkullAngel

My new Fiero.

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

I originally went to Test Drive a 300ZX out in San Diego, was gonna buy it till the owner did a burnout which was a total deal breaker for me...... I found this guy out in Los Angeles for $3500 but talked them down to 3 even.

It has 92k on it, fully serviced, smogged, Adult owned since 1989 by an elderly man that this was his baby since then and now I'm officially the 3rd owner as of this week.

This car starts right up every time. Drives great and very strong. My only negs is the 3 speed automatic and the out dated radio it has but you can't complain for the price. The plans are is to keep it as my daily driver till I get another car here shortly. Get rid of that silly hood scoop and get me a real Fiero GT spoiler. Oh yeah and swap that damn 3 speed out for something better! I wanna swap the rims out for something more modern but retain the Fiero look. Maybe some BBS rims? The seats will be swapped out for Recardo seats because GM sucks at making seats for their sportscars, I had to do the same when I had my 96 Camaro RS. but otherwise the interior will remain stock.

The Suspension could use an upgrade along with the brakes. Maybe Ebach springs and a simple brake upgrade couldn't hurt. I may repaint it a different color and get the PISA Mclaren F1 style front bumper and tail light kit for it but its gonna stay a Fiero regardless. Eventiually it will get the 3800 Supercharged swap and make it a street legal low 11 second car but that won't be for a very long time. For now I'm having lots of fun driving it stock for now. I won't lie, Id love to build a Lamborghini Diablo or LP640 Replica one day but I kind of wanna keep this car a Fiero.

I took it down to Old town with my lady on a date. Many folks thought we had a Ferrari 348

Bye bye Camaro :(

The car prior to the Fiero.
Sometimes you only need six cylinders to get the job done.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: My new Fiero.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Looks like a good purchase... more pics?
Body color skirts on an '86 mean it's been repainted.

Do you mean that the burnout turned you off to the 300ZX because the guy had probably abused the F@#$ out of it?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Its an 80s American car with glossy paint, of course its been repainted.

Nice car. Without the hood scoop and some modern wheels you'll have a nice looking car. I much prefer the single tone paint.

Is PISA even still in business? Their website hasn't been updated since like 2004.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Looks like a good purchase... more pics?
Body color skirts on an '86 mean it's been repainted.

Do you mean that the burnout turned you off to the 300ZX because the guy had probably abused the F@#$ out of it?

He probably didn't. I know he did. I asked him how many times he's raced it and he's abused it.

Yeah its been fully repainted. probably a backyard special. It will need to be reworked.
CincinnatiFiero wrote:Its an 80s American car with glossy paint, of course its been repainted.

Nice car. Without the hood scoop and some modern wheels you'll have a nice looking car. I much prefer the single tone paint.

Is PISA even still in business? Their website hasn't been updated since like 2004.
It used to be gold at some point and time in its life cycle. That I can tell you by looking in the trunk.

I believe PISA is still in business. If not hey there's plenty of other body kits out there I may go with as well. I wouldn't mind doing an LP640 Replica to with a 3800 Turbo. But the only way this will become a kit car is if something really stupid happens to the body. :wink:
CincinnatiFiero

Replicas are lame in my opinion, it'll never be more than a fiero. Which is fine, I own 3 of them, but I don't like when people present them as something they are not.

3800 is a good swap, I have a 3800SC automatic, really like it, but I never drive it

Get some rims!
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

What city are you in?
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Replicas are lame in my opinion, it'll never be more than a fiero. Which is fine, I own 3 of them, but I don't like when people present them as something they are not.

3800 is a good swap, I have a 3800SC automatic, really like it, but I never drive it

Get some rims!
It depends on how you build it. Some guys build them like shit. Others you can't tell the difference. There's a guy out in Chatsworth who's got a Fiero based Murcielago and you can't tell the difference between his LP640 with a Supercharged 2.8 and the real deal.

I've been wanting to build a "Custom" built Lamborghini Diablo or Countach for many years now and after doing much needed research I don't think ill be buying a real one because of the ridculous cost to keep the fucking thing on the road. 10k for a clutch job? Seriously? Id rather build one that will out perform the original, be cheaper to maintain and be much more reliable. I may Go fiero based unless I can buy a project car with a tube chassis like a Prova Countach Replica and ill swap in the Viper V10 or BMW V12. The only thing id be missing from the real car is the noise. That you can't replicate.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Series8217 wrote:What city are you in?
I'm in Oceanside. Blocks outside of Camp Pendleton.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

VF1SkullAngel wrote:There's a guy out in Chatsworth who's got a Fiero based Murcielago and you can't tell the difference between his LP640 with a Supercharged 2.8 and the real deal.

I may Go fiero based unless I can buy a project car with a tube chassis like a Prova Countach Replica and ill swap in the Viper V10 or BMW V12.
Can't tell the difference until he puts the loud pedal down and gets dusted...

Everyone seems to forget about the Mercedes V12.

BMW M70: SOHC 2V 5.0 300HP/330TQ
BMW M73: SOHC 2V 5.4 330HP/360TQ

Merc M120: DOHC 4V 6.0 390HP/400TQ

Not only does the Merc crush the BMW stock, the Merc 12 has HUGE potential comparatively.

Also, Ferrari engines are not as out of reach as you may think... http://www.ebay.com/itm/150768164616
CincinnatiFiero

You can tell lol, you can always tell. Some build them to where the vast majority cannot tell but anyone whose been around the real deal won't even have to look twice.

Sure you can buy a good LP640 kit, then pay to have the car lengthened, then $10,000 in paint and body if not more, several grand in OEM lights, several grand into the interior, $10-15k to use OEM wheels and brakes. But at the end of the day it's a cut up fiero so its tough to value and it's never worth what you have in it.
PLUS a year or two of your life to build it if you don't want to pay out the nose to have it done

When Ferrari 355s are under $50k, why dick around with trying to make a fiero something it isn't?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote: When Ferrari 355s are under $50k, why dick around with trying to make a fiero something it isn't?
Exactly... Why imitate when you can have the real thing? Building a replica is as labor intensive as building the original car was...
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

If you want a kit car that performs well and has resale value, look into Factory Five Racing. They have a midengine car coming out soon that uses a Subaru donor for total build cost of less than $15k. It will outperform a Fiero. More similar to a Lotus Elise or Exige.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:You can tell lol, you can always tell. Some build them to where the vast majority cannot tell but anyone whose been around the real deal won't even have to look twice.
This reminded me that I saw a Dino years ago in Pensacola. I was driving The Mule and pulled up next to him at a stoplight. I noticed that both cars were the same height, which surprised me; I had thought the Dino was tiny. Then I noticed that the outside of his A-pillar had the same window alignment tab that mine did...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:If you want a kit car that performs well and has resale value, look into Factory Five Racing. They have a midengine car coming out soon that uses a Subaru donor for total build cost of less than $15k. It will outperform a Fiero. More similar to a Lotus Elise or Exige.
Interesting... I've been curious about a small light mid-engine car. If it'll take the flat 4, I'm curious about the possibility of a VAG W8.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
VF1SkullAngel wrote:There's a guy out in Chatsworth who's got a Fiero based Murcielago and you can't tell the difference between his LP640 with a Supercharged 2.8 and the real deal.

I may Go fiero based unless I can buy a project car with a tube chassis like a Prova Countach Replica and ill swap in the Viper V10 or BMW V12.
Can't tell the difference until he puts the loud pedal down and gets dusted...

Everyone seems to forget about the Mercedes V12.

BMW M70: SOHC 2V 5.0 300HP/330TQ
BMW M73: SOHC 2V 5.4 330HP/360TQ

Merc M120: DOHC 4V 6.0 390HP/400TQ

Not only does the Merc crush the BMW stock, the Merc 12 has HUGE potential comparatively.

Also, Ferrari engines are not as out of reach as you may think... http://www.ebay.com/itm/150768164616

The Merc is pricey as hell. If I could find me a M120 engine tho i wouldn't pass it up! They sound much better.

I do like the sound of the Dodge Viper V10 the most. My dream car is pretty much a Countach with a Viper engine as lame as it sounds.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:You can tell lol, you can always tell. Some build them to where the vast majority cannot tell but anyone whose been around the real deal won't even have to look twice.

Sure you can buy a good LP640 kit, then pay to have the car lengthened, then $10,000 in paint and body if not more, several grand in OEM lights, several grand into the interior, $10-15k to use OEM wheels and brakes. But at the end of the day it's a cut up fiero so its tough to value and it's never worth what you have in it.
PLUS a year or two of your life to build it if you don't want to pay out the nose to have it done

When Ferrari 355s are under $50k, why dick around with trying to make a fiero something it isn't?

The problem I have with exotic car is the ungodly amount of money that has to go into the Maintence just to keep them on the road.

If I could find a Diablo or Countach with a blown motor for under 50k id be game. Ill pick it up and swap something else in. The good thing is many of those early Lamborghini's that I want (Especially in kit form) are now going cheap. So I might not have to start out at ground zero paying up the ass, I'm hoping to pick up a project in the future that needs bodywork, interior and a motor so I can build it the way I want to.
Series8217 wrote:If you want a kit car that performs well and has resale value, look into Factory Five Racing. They have a midengine car coming out soon that uses a Subaru donor for total build cost of less than $15k. It will outperform a Fiero. More similar to a Lotus Elise or Exige.

Their GTM is awesome. Thats all I know from factory five. I donno about this Subaru powered car for less than 15k ill have to check it out.
CincinnatiFiero

If you're not interested in losing money I'd keep the whole domestic motor in an exotic out of your head.

HOWEVER, if you're buying an exotic car with maintenance costs in mind, you're far from in the right mindset. They aren't cheap to run, they aren't supposed to be.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I started a thread on the 818 here: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =9&t=17654
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:If you're not interested in losing money I'd keep the whole domestic motor in an exotic out of your head.

HOWEVER, if you're buying an exotic car with maintenance costs in mind, you're far from in the right mindset. They aren't cheap to run, they aren't supposed to be.
My dream car is priceless but id like to go on a drive without the worry of losing 20% of my overall value for taking it on a cruise or down the strip for a couple passes. So a Diablo Replica or swapped engine doesn't sound so bad for me. I know its gonna be costly at first but at least ill be able to maintain it all on my own. :roll:
CincinnatiFiero

The difference is the exotic will depreciate fairly hard until it starts to appreciate. A replica isn't worth what it cost the day you got it, and it never appreciates.

If it were me I'd put my money into a baller engine swap and leave it at that.