SW20 MR2

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

SW20 MR2

Post by crzyone »

I am becoming a klepto.

Just bought a 92 JDM MR2. Didn't intend on buying another car but it was a deal I couldn't pass up and I have to say I've always been a fan of the 2nd gen MR2s.

I got it for a screaming deal. It was going to be a magazine car build but the owner is moving to a different province and decided to sell the car.

How it was before he stripped it

This is how the car currently sits.

The JDM Kouki tail lights and center piece. I think they look better and more modern then the stockers

My plans? Put it back together and enjoy it. It does come with a fairly impressive list of parts as well.

-Grimspeed Boost Controller (nicest MBC on the market hands down)
-K&N filter
-KO Racing (MR2 specialty shop in the states) full 3" TKO exhaust (cost $800+shipping)
-17" Enkei Evo 5 rims in great shape, 2 rear tires are Pirelli I forget the fronts
-Authentic (hard to find the authentic one) TRD short throw shifter & upgraded brass shifter bushings
-STS sway bars front & rear (the best sway bars for the MR2)
-JDM KOUKI TAIL LIGHTS, RARE, EXPENSIVE I imported from Japan
-Mint JDM suede door panels, rare as hell expensive I had to import from Japan
-K&W coil overs in good shape (almost $3000 retail)
-Custom dash consol built to hold 3 gauges (where the center vent was) I had my dash sent to Puttsburg to have this made
-Custom shifter surround, VERY VERY nice I sent my shifter surround to Houston TX to have this made. NOT RICE... Exotic
-EMS Powered (MR2 specialty shop in the states) digital boost gauge installed into the dash where the factory boost gauge was (it looks factory like it should be there) this boost gauge was tested against other gauges and was found to be far more accurate
-ACTUAL metal brushed aluminum gauge rings pressed into the gauges (not cheesy plastic glued on rings)
-Lexus LS400 door pulls, they drop right in where the plastic MR2 interior door pulls go but they are nice polished metal
-Lexus LS400 door stops and covers, they are nice polished door stops and covers that drop into where the MR2's come out
-Grey Momo wheel, nothing fancy, just a grey momo wheel I had in the car while I wheeled it around
-Momo steering wheel hub
-bunch of tune up stuff like belts plugs wires and stuff
-brand new Toyota door pull surrounds
-JDM Toyota rare 98 spec front side mouldings to delete the corner lights for a cleaner look, BRAND NEW imported from Japan

Only mods I plan on doing to the car is a set of Greddy side skirts and an Aeroware front lip. Makes the car look much newer. I want my MR2 to look basically like this one

I pick the car up on Friday, so I will update with pics and such when I start piecing it all back together. I think I have most of the major Japanese brands covered now... Mazda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda and now Toyota. Time to build the shop I always wanted!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: SW20 MR2

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Sweeet... have a particular power number you'd like to hit? The 3S-GTE is a pretty stout engine that can do some crazy stuff.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I've only recently started reading about the drivetrains on these cars. The JDM engine in my car has a ceramic turbine and is good for about 300 crank hp. I think that will be plenty for now, going to try and keep the build costs down. I did buy a big intercooler for it though.

Big forced air Spearco intercooler, apparently good for 800hp

The large Spearco compared to an upgraded Greddy unit.

If I do upgrade, which won't be for a few years at the earliest I'll likely go with something small like a GT30 and aim for about 350whp. I have a week off starting on Friday and I plan on putting a few hours into putting the car back together. I'll take a few pics of my progress.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I've always liked the 2nd gems with the turbo motors. I looked into them a while back. I Rene er reading something about the intake manifold not having even flow whci causes one cyl to run leaner when really turning the wic up. I think most people say around 350-375 crank is about as far as you want to go on stock internals.

It looks sharp though man. Congrats and I am looking forward to see progress on this. That forced air intercooler is pretty nifty. I might look into doing something like that too
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Let these be the "before" pictures.

Soooo many parts....

Dirty but low mileage 3SGTE. About 80k miles on the car.

It's going to be one hell of a puzzle, but I think it will be a lot of fun as well. Tomorrow and Sunday I'll be working on it quite a bit. Not sure how much after that, getting married in Vegas next weekend.

Poor GTR has been kicked out of the garage until the MR2 is done :cry:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Another sort of update. Just bought a set of rear spats like these ones. It completes the look I'm going for. Amazing how little you have to do to these cars to make them look pretty amazing. My car will be identical to this, except red.

Also bought a set of floor mats (woo...), shift knob, lexus racing pedals, door pull and latch. Nice that high end parts are a direct fit :D Picked up a spare engine block, crank and head to build at a later date. I won't go crazy with it, probably freshen up the head and put some forged pistons and rods in the block so I can up the boost safely later on.

If after the wedding the guy I bought the car from still has this turbo kit, I'll likely pick it up. Price is right, and so is the power potential.
http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread. ... ost1634223
incase you guys can't see the link
$2000 FIRM

-Precision 5857 Dual Ball Bearing turbo with billet compressor wheel and 4" anti surge inlet, Top of the line turbo...

-Custom made "Full-Race Motorsports" equal length Ram Horn exhaust manifold, let me tell you this is NOT NO eBay manifold, it is around $1500 and is made by Full Race to flow this specific turbo perfectly, equal runners length to avoid exhaust pulse turbulence, difference types of steel for the mounting face and tubes to account for heat expansion as well as relief cuts on the mounting plate to also account for expension all to avoid any cracks. Big exhaust runners, individual exhaust temperature sensors inlets on each runner (these can be capped off if you wish) will fit a 2 bolt wastegate (such as Tial) which DOES NOT come with this kit. V-band downpipe clamp! Atmospheric wastegate dump, stainless steel braided lines.

THE PICTURES DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE, in some pics the whole thing is wrapped in dirty ass heat wrap... it is dirty in the pictures and all the exhaust manifold in the pics has gluey type gunk on it because it was all wrapped in heat wrap which I removed... IT IS NOT RUST. The kit was in a car that sat for a while it was only ever driven for 200 MILES (no km) and under no boost, the car was never tuned so it never saw boost... there is ZERO shaft play in the turbo as it is essentially brand new. THIS TURBO ALONE WILL RUN YOU MY ASKING PRICE IF YOU WANT TO GET IT AND SHIP IT HOME!

here is a link to a general Full-Race manifold that is NOT custom made for your exact turbo so it's not as good as this one... however it is shiny... lol this exhaust mani could be shined up OR you could do like I was going to do and ceramic coat it... your choice.

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-manifold.html

This kit will make you around 600HP with the right tune and supporting mods.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

progress?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Not as much as I'd hoped. I put the glass back in, have the interior pieced together but put it on hold so I could get my RX7 ready for spring. GTR MR2 and the Civic are lining up in my driveway with the 7 in the garage.

I actually have another Civic showing up today that I bought for the drivetrain. Going to swap out the lame D16 for the JDM B16 in this other car. Should be good for another 60hp and actually make the Civic fun to drive. I'll upload some pics when I get some.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Just call me lazy

This last week I packed up the car and brought it to my mechanic friend to put back together. I traded the B16a2 swapped civic I just bought for his labor. The car is 95% done now, missing a few pieces to finish the job.

The car didn't want to run at first, but after some fresh gas and plugs it runs like a top. The aftermarket 3" exhaust and HKS blow off valve sound badass.

This video doesn't really do the car justice. One of the best 4 cylinder engines I've heard.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39648487@N05/8352761555/

I'm on a week on week off schedual right now, so next week I'll have more pics and such.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Car back from getting a new windshield. Not a bad looking little car.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Sooollllllddddd

Now I have a problem. I was going to use the money to paint my RX7 but now I'm thinking I could use a car hauler for my GTR. Tired of renting trailers every time I change something and need to tow it to a dyno.

Decisions decisions...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

It's a hard knock life.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

crzyone wrote:Sooollllllddddd

Decisions decisions...
White person problems.

Dude why did you sell? I clicked on this thread hoping to see a good update and while I was scrolling down I was thinking to myself; "I wonder if he would sell this to me?"

Why not drive it to a dyno instead of a car hauler? I don't know how bad your tunes are, but most cars can drive the short distance to a dyno as long as you stay out of it. Unless your closest dyno is an hour away?

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

This is Canada, everything is measured in hours. The nerest AWD dyno is 3 hours away from me. I'm running a base tune right now so driving is out of the question.

I bought the car thinking I'd likely flip it. I want to thin the heard. MR2, Exo X, FD, GTR, 2 Civics and my truck. So getting rid of this car and one of my Civics was a good move.

I'm also getting more into quads. last weekend I picked up a Yamaha Grizzly for the wife and I have my Banshee. So a car hauler will serve more than one purpose. Another plus, I can store one of my cars in it during the winter which would free up garage space.

I picked this up fairly cheap, lots of trails around where I live to go exploring. Lots of mud too which makes my banshee useless.

Quads are taking over!