Reducing rear weight / improving weight distribution

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: Reducing rear weight / improving weight distribution

Post by Series8217 »

You could put a plastic panel in there easily if you needed to for aerodynamics.

I bet with the engine bay the way it is (no belly pan), the air is already pretty turbulent right there.

My silver car actually had almost a full underbody tray using 3/32" thick ABS. It went from the front of the car all the way to the back of the fuel tank. Only weighed a few pounds if I remember correctly.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I am curious as to how this affects airflow under the car, and how it exits out the rear. I wonder how much the air would catch the bumper and find its way into the rear bumper creating a parachute affect or sorts.
I'm not sure, but I did create large vents in the bottom of the rear fascia to help reduce that affect in case it did exist.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

My Corbeau A4s weigh 34 lbs with the stock Fiero sliders attached to them.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

if thats the case then thats pretty darn close, if not more than a stock 88 seat with sliders. I think I weighed my 85 gt seats with the speakers in them around 32 lbs with sliders.