Flywheel Bolts for the 60-degree V6

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Flywheel Bolts for the 60-degree V6

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shear on the flywheel bolt and play in the hole is not relevant.

The clamp load from the bolts and the friction between the flywheel and crank flange is what keeps the flywheel in place. The bolts are not side loaded.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Shear on the flywheel bolt and play in the hole is not relevant.
More play in the hole = less surface area contact under the head. That's bad.

I still think my Fidanza flywheel might have kept some bolts tight if the holes were actually the right size.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

thought I would add too, I saw somewhere someone saying that the 3500 flywheel bolts are a different pitch, I don't remember where I saw it, but they aren't.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

When using an aluminum flywheel, the smaller surface area under clamp load leads to a greater surface pressure and greater tendency to creep.
That doesn't affect an iron or steel flywheel until the holes are close to the size of the bolt head.

My point was that the holes don't have to have a close fit because of shear on the bolts.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Fidanza 60V6 flywheel (P/N 198261) + Bully stage 4 (P/N 04-1594c) need a pressure plate bolt length approximately 18.5mm under the head. called ARP, they offer a bolt for Ford 302-351W V8, '86-'95,(P/N 150-2202) that is 20mm under head. included are .095" washers, which bring the under head length to 17.587mm, so about a millimeter short, but should be fine for just about any application.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-detail ... cordID=475
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

ericjon262 wrote:Fidanza 60V6 flywheel (P/N 198261)
Stay away unless you plan on modifying it to fix the creep problem.

Mine (came loose 3 times): http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =3&t=10853
sspeedstreet: http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/129350.html
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

hmm. I want to run it because I spent money on it... but I don't want to be taking it apart to that degree on a yearly basis either... I wonder if the counterbores could be milled down and a spreader plate installed to prevent the problem.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

There's a stock part that does that... it gets mentioned every time someone has this problem. Wish I had the part number...

From the thread Steven linked:
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/129350.html#p7

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the trick will be to find it... might be better off getting an old flex plate and cutting it up.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It's a GM part... there was a similar one on my Northstar. Should be cake to get with the part number.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:There's a stock part that does that... it gets mentioned every time someone has this problem. Wish I had the part number...

From the thread Steven linked:
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/129350.html#p7
It's not that simple to implement. Fidanza had a problem with their first 60-degree V6 flywheels breaking off from the hub area. There are multiple failures documented on the J-body forums and elsewhere. They addressed the problem by making the center of the flywheel thicker. In order to do this and still have the OE flywheel bolt head to clutch plate clearances, they counterbored the bolt holes. If you mill the flywheel down to allow the plate to be used, you're back to the old flywheels that break off.

I suspect the flywheels were breaking due to fatigue from pressure plate engagement/disengagement loads. Even my second-gen Fidanza flywheel flexed a lot -- I could watch it move as the clutch pedal was depressed.

sspeedstreet identified some steel insert washers and had them installed in his 2nd-gen Fidanza flywheel after it came loose. It hasn't come loose again... yet... but I don't think he's been driving the car that much.

Also found this today: http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/133235.html#p8

Another loose aluminum flywheel...

Anyway, this isn't really on topic since it's not related to the flywheel bolts but the flywheel material itself.