progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I've heard Nuke school is interesting. Nuke was my second choice after aviation, but I ended up in the Civil Engineer Corps instead. Go figure.
officer side is a little different from enlisted side, so it's hard to say exactly how interesting it'd be for you, but I can tell you the enlisted side is definitely quirky...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, made it to kings bay, gonna place the order for my new clutch tomorrow, (spec 4+) and try and get the heap on the road so my truck can take a well deserved break...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, I placed the order(acknowledged by a Spec employee via email) for my clutch 4 days ago, thinking that by now it would have left Spec and be on it's way to me,

this was 3 days ago...
They ship in 24-48 hrs..this is a busy week given we are closed all next week. If not today, probably leaves tomorrow…
seeing as I hadn't heard anything from Spec, I called them up, and they don't have anything in their system on my order at all... now how is a order supposed to ship if it doesn't exist??? Guess who just lost a $600 sale.

so now, instead of a Spec, I'll be going with a Bully stage 4 Clutch. hopefully this order works out better...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

SPEC is amazingly disorganized. I don't know how they stay in business.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

today, almost a month after placing the order with Spec clutch, they call me and want to talk about it... good job guys way to follow up on a sale... 3 weeks too late...

this came in about two weeks ago, just didn't get around to posting it yet.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:SPEC is amazingly disorganized. I don't know how they stay in business.

agreed...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Spent this weekend working on the car, got a little more work until I can drag it out of the hobby shop.

The main reason for all this delay...

the little fuck popped while bleeding is. doesn't appear to have hyperextended though.

A few comparison pictures of the two clutches:

The other reason for the delay:

if you look at the top sprockets, you'll notice grooves cut into one and not the other the grooves are there to sling oil onto the chain, without them, the chain gets hot, stretches, and fails.

And then the engine found it's way home!

Still a ton of work to do, but it's progress nonetheless.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

made a little more progress today and yesterday.

Here's how I left it yesterday:

I don't have a picture from today, but it's not much different, now it has some vaccuum/boost lines hooked up, along with the coldside piping installed. unfortunately, I need to re-work my intercooler setup again, it's just not fitting right...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

main coolant lines done, wheel bearings, done, axle seals, done,vacuum/boost lines, done. getting closer, still need intercooler lines done, new intercooler mount made, heater core lines done, fuel system pressure test/pressure regulator adjusted, final clutch bleed, brakes bled, and then the engine tune. almost there!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Git 'R Dunn!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

not much to report, been waiting on parts to re-do the intercooler pipping so it will work right, came in earlier today, plan to work on it after work tomorrow.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Here's a picture from today, not much new, but it's something. most of the vacuum lines are done, heater core lines are done, there's really not much left to do. I need to fix a broken wire I found, and redo some of the intercooler piping.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Hood pins?

When's first start scheduled?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Intercooler piping not necessary to start and drive
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Intercooler piping not necessary to start and drive
I'd say maybe that's how you do your car, but I don't think you have any of the critical components needed to start and drive completed.

That being said, there's no way in hell I'd chance driving without charge piping. First, the air won't be filtered. Second, if you get too high on the throttle, you'll over-rev your turbo and trash it. Totally not worth it when you can spend a couple more days and do it right.

Now if you remove the turbo, by all means have at it. When I first built my car I ran it for a few days with the open Y-pipe. Car was loud as hell, and pulled hard too.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Aaron don't be a dolt. In no way am I suggesting going around and boosting the car. I am talking about starting it and backing it in and out of the driveway. Checking for leaks, verifying idle and temps, verifying clutch engagement and disengagement. You know, those things.

Idling your car for 15 minutes or even a quick drive around the block with no filter is not going to do any harm unless you insist on taking your maiden voyage in a southwestern dust storm.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Hood pins?

yeah, the hinges hit my custom upper intake, so I shaved the underside of the decklid to clear the intake. I'm designing a new set of hinges, everything will be setup more like an MR2, with the trunk accessible independent of the engine. the engine will have a pin on "hood". next time the engine is out, I'm going to cut the old hinge boxes out too. long term, I plan to make the front side hook in, and the back locked down somehow, maybe a set of locking hood pins like these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aec-1 ... /overview/

I'd like to do the first start soon, but I'm not committed to a date yet, I want to make sure everything is the way I want to to drive the car, before the first start so I can hit the ground running on the tune, and don't have to worry about anything dumb holding me back.
Neither is replacing the bad wheel bearings, or bleeding the brakes, but like I said above, I want the car solid before I start it and begin the tuning process. before I left for bootcamp and was working on the car, I was blinded by my deadline,I cut a few corners, and now I want to fix those. it was wrong the first time, and a year and a half of waiting doesn't make it right now.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote:

yeah, the hinges hit my custom upper intake, so I shaved the underside of the decklid to clear the intake. I'm designing a new set of hinges, everything will be setup more like an MR2, with the trunk accessible independent of the engine. the engine will have a pin on "hood". next time the engine is out, I'm going to cut the old hinge boxes out too. long term, I plan to make the front side hook in, and the back locked down somehow, maybe a set of locking hood pins like these

I'd like to do the first start soon, but I'm not committed to a date yet, I want to make sure everything is the way I want to to drive the car, before the first start so I can hit the ground running on the tune, and don't have to worry about anything dumb holding me back.
Neither is replacing the bad wheel bearings, or bleeding the brakes, but like I said above, I want the car solid before I start it and begin the tuning process. before I left for bootcamp and was working on the car, I was blinded by my deadline,I cut a few corners, and now I want to fix those. it was wrong the first time, and a year and a half of waiting doesn't make it right now.
I understand what military commitments do to car projects... You may be dedicated to the project, but your committed to the service. ("You can give you heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Marine Corps!")

Would the stock plenum have hit the decklid?
I have some design work into a dogbone & low mount alternator bracket that would fit the Gen II-Gen IV (V?) heads, but it won't do much good for the later models if the plenum hits.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

[quote="The Dark Side of will]
I have some design work into a dogbone & low mount alternator bracket that would fit the Gen II-Gen IV (V?) heads, but it won't do much good for the later models if the plenum hits.[/quote]

Would be interested in seeing this design. New thread?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
ericjon262 wrote:

I understand what military commitments do to car projects... You may be dedicated to the project, but your committed to the service. ("You can give you heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Marine Corps!")

I have some design work into a dogbone & low mount alternator bracket that would fit the Gen II-Gen IV (V?) heads, but it won't do much good for the later models if the plenum hits.

stock intake points the other way, should clear no problem. stock manifold turned around like mine would also hit, but may be able to be clearanced to fit. I don't remember.

I would also like to see the low mount alternator bracket, would you be able to still have working a/c?