progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I had a couple of prototypes cut to locate the bolt holes on the block and Gen II/III heads... not sure if those stayed the same for the Gen IV(/V?) heads.

The alternator would be mounted about where it is for the Fiero 2.8, which would require reworking the accessory drive a bit.
The Gen II/III engines I've seen all mount the A/C comp low on the forward side of the engine, so it would be unaffected.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I had a couple of prototypes cut to locate the bolt holes on the block and Gen II/III heads... not sure if those stayed the same for the Gen IV(/V?) heads.

The alternator would be mounted about where it is for the Fiero 2.8, which would require reworking the accessory drive a bit.
The Gen II/III engines I've seen all mount the A/C comp low on the forward side of the engine, so it would be unaffected.
would it allow for a dogbone mount as well? how about exhaust clearance? I know the fiero timing cover moves the alternator out a little further away from the exhaust.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

not much to report, but I've got the intake piping mocked up, need to find a new way to mount the intercooler, and then that's done. I also finished up the manual boost controller install, and started working on the intercooler coolant lines again. need to pick up some more hose at the store tomorrow.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

anything today? I'd love to see the car make a pull on a dyno, or a trip down the track, or anything, not gonna hold my breath though, your build seems to have progressed even less than mine, and that say's something...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:anything today? I'd love to see the car make a pull on a dyno, or a trip down the track, or anything, not gonna hold my breath though, your build seems to have progressed even less than mine, and that say's something...

yeah, had it on the dyno, the wheels broke.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

sounds about right for a fiero.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I was planning on running A/C on the car, so when I put the engine in, I left the compressor installed, seeing as I don't have lines for the new compressor, I've decided to ditch it for the time being. I'm considering installing an all electric A/C in it's place in the front as a stand alone system. unfortunately for me, this requires me to re configure my belt routing. and install a new idler pulley. should be done tomorrow.

also worked on the intercooler water system a bit, need a bit more hose, and a couple of hose clamps, but it's coming along nicely. once it's done I'm going to install a heat shield around the tank and the pump, maybe even add a bit of insulation to the tank as well.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

got the belt routing figured out. had to flip the tensioner and install another idler. gonna test fit the new belt in the morning. got the intercooler plumbing around the tank done. gonna try and get the heat shield installed tomorrow, and get the new intercooler mount built.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

got the intercooler mount done today, need a couple of fittings for the remote oil filter before I can put it all together though.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

intercooler plumbed in, remote oil filter mounted and plumbed, intake piping done, along with lots of little other things. it's coming together quickly, gonna clean the car out as best as I can tomorrow and try to make sure I'm not forgetting anything before I try and fire it off. I'm hoping to start it some time this weekend.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Started adding fluids today. My fuel filter turned out to be defective and decided to let me know by spraying fuel everywhere on the initial system prime. I had a very small coolant drip up by the radiator, I am unsure if it was just a little bit of leftover drip from a spill, or a leaky radiator (or just the cap)
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

hit a couple of snags today, it wasn't entirely unexpected though. hooked up the PCM, flashed my base tune, and tried starting it, wouldn't start, presumably due to fuel(no gas smell near exhaust). looked at the tune, and I forgot to remove antitheft... removed it, and tried again, and would get an occasional bump, but no bang. and I remembered I hadn't set my fuel pressure. pulled the plug where the gauge goes on my regulator to install the gauge, and there's brown crap behind it... it looks like when the filter took a shit, it decided to send shit through the whole fuel system. regulator, lines, rail, injectors, all had crap in them... cleaned and began flushing the system, and then one of the lines gave way. I'm not sure where, or if it's one of the lines I made, or the body side lines I didn't touch. I'm assuming it's the stock side. if it is, I'm going to re-do the body side lines so the whole system is new and I don't have to worry about it. on another note, my DHP interface decided to eat shit and die, anyone have one laying around they don't need anymore?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I've had weekends like that.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

yeah, hopefully all that is wrong with my interface isn't really the interface, but the USB to serial adapter. that would be real nice, but I'm not holding my breath. gonna try and work on dropping the tank to make a better feed line, 100% new. maybe I won't have to drop it, but the job isn't terrible in a Fiero either way. I kinda want to pull the sender either way because the gauge stopped working, and to replace the short line in the tank with something that didn't come with the pump, heard more than one horror story about that little bugger leaving people stranded.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, my interface is still good, the USB to serial adapter turned out to have died, which was real nice, $38 beats $200 any day. in the mean time, I made a 3 gauge "a" piller setup for a third gen F-body fit my car. looks surprisingly well for a 1/2 custom part.I'll get pics when I have better lighting.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

ericjon262 wrote: I made a 3 gauge "a" piller setup for a third gen F-body fit my car. looks surprisingly well for a 1/2 custom part.I'll get pics when I have better lighting.
crappy pictures, but pictures nonetheless.

I wish I had taken a picture of the pod before modification, I'm still working on installing instrumentation, right now, I have AFR, and boost. I think #3 is going to be EGT.

the ruptured fuel line turned out to be one of my "new" lines I had dropped the tank, thinking it was one of the lines hose clamped to the pickup, and then the tank decided to start leaking. I ended up grabbing a tank from an 87-88 car, and installing AN fittings on the pickup, so there are no more clamped connections, then I made new braided fuel lines, all the way from the tank to the rail and back. the new tank is almost ready to go in for good, hope to have it done in the morning.

FWIW, on my 85, the later model tank required the brackets for the A/c lines to, at a minimum, be bent before the tank would fit. seeing as I don't have A/C lines under there anymore, I cut them off and threw them away.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Do you have an oil temp gauge? Personally that would be my number 3.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Aaron wrote:Do you have an oil temp gauge? Personally that would be my number 3.

Good idea, only issue I have with installing a oil temp gauge is that I don't want to drill another hole in my oil pan.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

If you have room, use one of these for your temp and oil pressure. Just make sure to get one that is the proper size for your engine. I'm just using this one as an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Aluminum-O ... d2&vxp=mtr
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I had a couple of prototypes cut to locate the bolt holes on the block and Gen II/III heads... not sure if those stayed the same for the Gen IV(/V?) heads.

would it allow for a dogbone mount as well? how about exhaust clearance? I know the fiero timing cover moves the alternator out a little further away from the exhaust.
Yes, I have a boss for the dogbone.

Exhaust clearance should be the same as the stock Fiero setup.