progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crzyone wrote:If you have room, use one of these for your temp and oil pressure. Just make sure to get one that is the proper size for your engine. I'm just using this one as an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Aluminum-O ... d2&vxp=mtr
If you have an oil level switch in the pan, check out the oil level switch for a C6 Corvette, as it includes a temp sensor AIUI.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'd have to got the sandwich route or drill a hole in the pan. I have a remote oil filter, that uses a ford style filter, so I'm sure I can find one between that and the stock block flange. my pan does not have a level sensor.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

tank is almost fully installed, here are a couple of pictures of the gauge pod out of the car...

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

not much of an update, but I got a good deal on a set of Konis for the front. probably gonna get a set for the back as well here soon, but believe it or not, it's kinda low on the priority list...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

just got a set of '88 rear knuckles as well.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

quick and dirty fuel filter mount...

and my shiny new (to me) Koni's

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, I new I should have put new injector orings in when I took the injectors out to clean them... dammit...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you have torn orings? So how did you discover this with them in the fuel rail and tightened down? Vacuum leak? if so, that means you fired it up right?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

or a fuel leak
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the rail side not the intake side. on fuel pump prime it sprayed fuel. I was quite surprised by it as I didn't notice it upon re-assembly of the rail/injectors.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

today was a busy day, replaced the O-rings, put everything back together, gave it a shot, noth'n, checked the anti-theft settings in the computer, whoops... fixed that, and still nothing. so I hooked up the scan tool to see what the computer was seeing, and low and behold, the computer isn't getting a 7x signal from the ICM... took the ICM to the parts store, they tested it, dead on all tests! picked up a new one, turn the key for about 5 seconds, nothing, turn it again, and as I was releasing the key, it burped, and then, tried it one more time, and.... IT LIVES! it's in desperate need of a tune though, doesn't idle at all. needless to say, it made this whole weekend fuck'n awesome!

Edit:

No video as of right now, I'll get one soon though.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nice!

Remind us what you've done to the engine to make the tune so far off it won't idle?

And yours is an LX9, right?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

congrats always a good feeling
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Nice!

Remind us what you've done to the engine to make the tune so far off it won't idle?

And yours is an LX9, right?
it's an LX9, but I'm running a 3100 PCM and programming. The engine is a full build, crank, rods, pistons, heads, cam, intake, exhaust ect. I expect it'll be a bit of a challenge to dial in, but it'll be worth it for sure.

cam is a .573" lift, 224 degrees @ .050 intake, .565" lift, 214 degrees @.050 exhaust.

heads, stock is column 1-2, port job is 3-4

Shaun41178(2) wrote:congrats always a good feeling
Thanks!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

quick glance at my last log (all of 15 seconds...) shows it's running really rich, 10-11:1 upon further investigation, my fuel injector flow rate was wrong in my tune, it was off by about +15 msec/gram, I doubt that will get me exactly where I need to be, but it's one step closer. I might reflash it on my way home from work and try again(car isn't at my house...) hopefully with that and a few other tweeks I can make it happier.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: it's an LX9, but I'm running a 3100 PCM and programming. The engine is a full build, crank, rods, pistons, heads, cam, intake, exhaust ect. I expect it'll be a bit of a challenge to dial in, but it'll be worth it for sure.

cam is a .573" lift, 224 degrees @ .050 intake, .565" lift, 214 degrees @.050 exhaust.

heads, stock is column 1-2, port job is 3-4
ericjon262 wrote:quick glance at my last log (all of 15 seconds...) shows it's running really rich, 10-11:1 upon further investigation, my fuel injector flow rate was wrong in my tune, it was off by about +15 msec/gram, I doubt that will get me exactly where I need to be, but it's one step closer. I might reflash it on my way home from work and try again(car isn't at my house...) hopefully with that and a few other tweeks I can make it happier.
Heh... I was thinking that something would have to be pretty darned far off for a MAF based tune not to be able to start and idle. It's not like a speed density system in which low idle vacuum screws up the load calculation...

Nice ports.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Thanks!

I found a spec sheet for my injectors, thought I'd share.

http://www.usa.vdo.com/generator/www/us ... rect=false

I'm going to email them and see if they have written specs instead of graphical.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

sound quality is crap, but here's a short vid

http://youtu.be/Ne71Xeg-4xU
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I figured out earlier why I was having so much trouble with idle too...

Note: No IAC passage...

well, the LS1 TB I'm running was made to bolt to an intake with the passage cut into it... guess who forgot to cut the passage into the TB... DOH!

so, I cut a passage into the back of the TB, problem solved.

IIRC, N*'s, which use a similar TB, have the passage made into the TB, like how I have modified mine.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

went for a test drive today... felt real good. haven't gone past 25% throttle yet, still feels awesome though.