progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

90-92 is normal. I wouldn't worry about it.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:90-92 is normal. I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm not really worried about it, just gonna keep an eye on it. I still want to do the dye check to find the really slow leak I observed with the last pressure test.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Dye checks are soooooo easy it's comical

Just be careful not to spill the dye... add it to the engine or radiator and not the overflow tank.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'll add it to the radiator, I don't want to spill it anywhere near where I suspect the leak to possibly be... I guess if you got the engine good an hot you could get it in through the overflow tank, but it seems like the biggest pain in the ass that way...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well... sometimes you just can't win... there is a rattling noise coming from the transmission... if I push the clutch, it goes away, when I release, it comes back, pretty loud... not sure if it's just the infamous getrag rattle, or something wrong with my clutch/flywheel/HTOB... the bearing is brand new... but so is the clutch, and flywheel, maybe 15-20 miles on them... any ideas?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Sounds like Getrag rattle.

Your throw out bearing would get louder when you push the clutch.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

is the rattle intermittent? I never noticed it today... I really hope that's all it is.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

There's radial play in the input shaft inner bearing. The rollers run directly on the input shaft. The radial play allows the clutch to apply slightly eccentrically sometimes. That results in some rollers loaded and some rollers clunking around between the race and the shaft. If you release and reapply the clutch, sometimes it'll become more concentric and quiet down.

I've heard similar complaints about S2000's... "sitting around in neutral sounds like a bucket of bolts in a paint mixer".

I have not yet tried having that race hard chromed and re-ground to tighten up the radial play.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

god damn... drove it about 2 miles today... and the oil line for the turbo blew out... I'm hoping there's no damage, but at this point, it's impossible to tell.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

your turbo and engine will be fine. I am guessing when you say blow out, the actual line split causing oil to come out. I am guessing you noticed it right away and shut it down. don't panic if thats the case. a new line or a tightening of the fitting and all will be well.

take pics
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

no pics yet, but the turbo has significant shaft play now, not sure if because cheap turbo, or loss of oil, or both... either way, it's trash now...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

DIY rebuild?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

maybe... I'm thinking I might go a step in a more serious direction...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Nothing to do with the oil and everything to do with Ching Chong turbo. I made mention of it years back when you bought that it was no bueno

Get new chonger for cheap to get you back on the road, or spend some real money for a legit garret unit
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Nothing to do with the oil and everything to do with Ching Chong turbo. I made mention of it years back when you bought that it was no bueno

Get new chonger for cheap to get you back on the road, or spend some real money for a legit garret unit
I feel like just about any journal bearing turbo would have the same fate if the oil supply went to 0 at speed... they don't have brakes. I'm not by any means saying the ebay turbo was a quality piece, but journal bearings need oil...

I'm looking into a few options right now...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I was going to swap the turbo out for something more fun, but I think for now, I'm just gonna throw another ebay special at it. once I finish the work on the hotside, I'll do the real upgrades.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

There is nothing wrong with your hotside now. Yea it might lack max efficiency but it will still make good power.

You have been working on this for what 5 years now and its still not daily drivable. Its like you prerlfer to keep working on it then actually driving it
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:There is nothing wrong with your hotside now. Yea it might lack max efficiency but it will still make good power.

You have been working on this for what 5 years now and its still not daily drivable. Its like you prerlfer to keep working on it then actually driving it
efficiency isn't the principle reason for me trying to improve the hotside, I already mentioned the main reason I would like to redo it, is packaging, but if I am going to redo it, why not take the time to make improvements while I'm at it?

either way, like I said in my last post, I'm throwing another ebay unit on for now, so I can drive it, and continue to improve it.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

new turbo arrived today, gonna try and get it installed later this week.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, I started working on installing the new turbo, and realized I'm probably going to have to drop the cradle to install it... yet another reason why I want to redo the hotside of this POS...