progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

pmbrunelle

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by pmbrunelle »

You're not aligning the level sender vertically like it was stock?

You're tilting the level sender?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:05 am Why wouldn't you use your old factory tank to cut up first in case you goof?
That tank is going in my car either way, and the old tank is still in the car, so this should be faster to swap, and not immobilize the car. if I goof, I'll break the welder out.

From a safety standpoint too, I'd rather cut on a tank that has never had fuel in it, than one that has quite recently had fuel in it.
pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:47 pm You're not aligning the level sender vertically like it was stock?

You're tilting the level sender?
the level sender is perpendicular to the top of the tank, just like stock. I'm not sure where you're seeing it tilted?

I got the other pump in, and mocked both of them up. I'm pretty happy so far, but I've come up with some design changes that should improve the unit quite a bit, and possibly allow the pump hanger to just *BARELY* fit into a stock tank, with minor modification to the ID of the hole, that said, getting all of the fittings into the stock tank opening wouldn't be easy.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

some of the ideas I had for rev 2 if I ever rebuild this. it should weigh less, and fit the tank better. I haven't decided on what would happen with the top if I were to build it.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I started fitting tubes to the sending unit, I did my best to bend the tubes down flat to the tank, but I can't seem to make the required radius, and the tubes are sticking up way higher than I think is acceptable to actually fit in the vehicle, so I decided to see what I can make happen with the 2nd revision. I won't end up using the Ballenger tank pass through, instead, I'll install the racetronix connector instead, the ballenger is nice, but it's just too much work to make it actually fit under the car.

Racetronix claims each terminal of their connector can handle 14 amps continuous, and 20 intermittent.

Quantum Fuel Systems claims their 340 LPH draws 12.8 amps at 60 PSI,

I can ground the pumps to the pump hanger, and the hanger to the chassis, then use one pin for each pump, and one for the level sender, which leaves one pin empty I got the parts cut for the pump hangers earlier, and over the weekend, I'm going to try and get the top made, it will use the same 20x115mm bolt pattern as the last design, so I'll be able to reuse the inside rings. I ordered some stainless steel solder flux that I'll use to fit the tubes to the sender, and I'm working on a simple adapter to attach the pump discharges in a more streamlined manner than the flex hoses.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Development is only necessary because of the stupidity of designers.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, I designed it so....

with the exception of the wire passthrough, I like the new design better in almost every aspect. for one, it almost certainly has to fit better, it's only a hair taller than stock, and that's because of the tube diameter. it's going to be lighter for sure too. I plan to use allthread for the two vertical supports, which also makes the height adjustable, although it should never really need to be adjusted unless the height of the two pumps changes, which could happen if they ever need to be replaced.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I made a slight change to the new sender design...

now, the tubes will have a little more room to fit.

I started milling away a piece of steel to make it, it's been slow going, but I only have a few operations left hopefully I can finish it tomorrow night, then all I will need to work on will be the pump discharge coupling, and the tube arrangements.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Any surgery to the tank yet?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Interesting option for external fuel pump which may not require cutting the tank:
https://quadstartuning.com/collections/ ... 0160224350

Only so many ways to skin a cat:
https://www.fleeceperformance.com/fuel- ... -pump.html

Now that I look at it again, it looks like the Fleece unit uses the 6 wire pass-through, but offset. With dual pumps, it's obvi made for a larger tank opening than the Fiero's though.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That billet hat might sit too high on a fiero tank, and hit the underside of the car. That's one of the issues with the fiero tank. I don't know how much clearance there is on the factory tank to the underside of the car.

I got a rough measurement, I think it was around 1 inch but I can't remember
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I was pointing out that the Fleece unit looks a lot like Eric's design. I was not suggesting Eric use the Fleece unit.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I haven't made much progress. the new top hat is done, but I still need to solder in the tubes, I also need to make the y fitting for the fuel pumps, I have a few ideas that will streamline the fuel system, and improve the reliability.

both of the designs you linked to are similar to mine, but they use fittings in the top hat, which causes the top hat to be taller, with soldered fittings, it's much lower.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If you stagger the pumps vertically, can you fit them through the original opening?

Have one on the bottom like stock, then have one just above it, overlapping in footprint, pulling through some type of pickup tube. Doing this might even help if you can move the remote pickup a few inches away from the lower pump.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Maybe, but I would be surprised if the new configuration didn't fit with only the smallest amount of trimming to the stock opening.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

here's the new tophat, again I still need to solder in the tubes, but it's fairly close to finished. in this picture, I hadn't yet deburred it.

here's step one of the fuel pump discharge, I found some O rings that fit snugly on the pumps, and then I made a 2 piece clamp, I'm not too happy with the one pictured for a couple reasons, so I'll remake it with a few small revisions, mainly the whole part will be taller, and the o ring support longer.

the idea is that the o rings will be pushed into a Y fitting, that is soldered into the top hat, and will direct the fuel into the 1/2" discharge.

in the crappy paint drawing below, the blue is the fuel pump nipples, the black, o rings, the light gray, the above mentioned Y fitting, and the dark gray, the clamp pictured above.

the new fuel system should support more power than I ever car to have in a Fiero, but only time will tell if I get bored...

In other news, I've been carefully planning the LX9's replacement. it will absolutely get a 3900, and the 3900 WILL have a cam, and it WILL retain VVT.

My present plan, is to order a custom ground cam, that will make the most of the VVT (hopefully....). once I have said camshaft in hand, I will make a fixture to hole the driven end of the camshaft in a press, then I will turn the end down extremely carefully, removing the first journal completely, leaving a uniform shaft. next, I'll get a stock LZ9 camshaft, make a fixture to hold the drive end of the cam in a press, and perform the opposite operation on, boring the last journal to an interference fit. The heat the LZ9 cam nose, cool the custom cam, and press the two together for a shrink fit. This will allow me to have whatever cam I want, I can get genuinely stoopid with it, I'll need to pay careful attention to piston to valve clearance for sure if I get really wild.

as far as the rest of that build, I haven't planned much more than that, I'd love to fool around with a custom intake, it's way easier to do with an LZ9 than any other 60V6, and I wouldn't mind playing around with the heads some, but I don't have a good means of determining what works, and what doesn't (a flowbench...)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I'm sure you know about this gadget

https://www.racetronix.biz/p/double-pum ... red/dpc-g6
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:16 am I'm sure you know about this gadget

https://www.racetronix.biz/p/double-pum ... red/dpc-g6
I was not aware, it's well worth the hours not spent at a mill. Thanks.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

What's the diameter of those two pumps next to each other? Is it3 inches? 3.5? Would you mind measuring?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:09 pm What's the diameter of those two pumps next to each other? Is it3 inches? 3.5? Would you mind measuring?
with the new style hanger, and the racetronix dual pump adapter, they're just under 3.25" apart, I haven't measured a stock tank opening, but I feel like that's pretty close.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I think I measured my stock opening at around 3.0 inches. I mocked up a cutout plate to replace the factory hat assembly that measures at about 3.5 inches, but obviously the tank opening is smaller than that.

I am thinking 3.0 to 3.25 range. Twin 450 pumps won't work as they are wider at the base, but it would be real close with twin 255 or even 340. I don't think even then they would fit.

You open up the.opening for the Rodney tank yet? What's your diameter?