progress on the banshee...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: progress on the banshee...

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Keep your head down and powder dry.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

has your fiero been to Bonneville? mine has... on a trailer... lol.
bonne.jpg
bonne.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
I now have the car back in my possession. I think the car has a blown headgasket, not 100% sure, but a solid 85%. I'm planning to pick up a low miles stock 3500, and putting my heads cam and intake on/in it. There are a couple of reasons for this plan,

#1, oil control, the engine currently in the car has no windage tray, in the race to get the car put together before joining the navy 5+ years ago, when the windage tray interfered with the rods, it was left off. hind sight being 20-20, not a great plan, but not the end of the world.

#2, oil return, the oil return line from turbo is very poorly plumbed into the pan, and WAY to big, a new engine will come with a new pan that I can make a quick easy fix to clean the engine up a bit.

#3, bearings. after my fiasco 3 years ago with the oil line blowing apart, I'm worried the bottom end may have had bearing damage, no easy way to tell without pulling it apart, but I can say there was quite a bit of metal in the oil and filter when I changed it last.

I'm not too worried about durability, stock pistons and rods on all sorts of late model engines are pretty good compared to old school garbage, that being said, I do plan to possibly open the ring gaps a little bit if necessary, or maybe some trick rings for S+G's.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Back on track. Nice

My stock bottom end with stock ring gaps made 600 bhp.

You shouldnt have to touch it when buying another one. If you were close I'd sell you mine dirt cheap
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Well... how fast did it go?

Good to hear from you.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:28 pm Well... how fast did it go?

Good to hear from you.
about 65... on the trailer... lol, good to be back, hopefully I can get this turd put together and on the road soon, I'm shopping for an engine now, want to find something with under 50K miles, preferably less than 25K, but beggars can't be choosers...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

How long have you been in the Navy? Aren't you a Chief yet? Also, making those Nuke bonuses...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I've been in about 5 1/2 years, I made 1st class last year, so not up for chief for a couple more, I don't think I'll be in long enough to make it, way to much fuckery for my tastes, and no overtime... the amount of 80+hour weeks I've worked since joining is silly, I don't really see the long term being worth it, unless I pick up a commission, and even then, most JO's get shit on at an alarming rate, and still work 80+hour weeks... I'm not gonna say I'm out, but it doesn't look like I'll be staying in.

Edited to correct underlined "say" from "way"
Last edited by ericjon262 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Your early pics are gone. What did you do for engine mounts?

Different communities work differently. There's a DoD-wide shortage of pilots, so if you wanted to commission into aviation, you could get a nice signing bonus for that and then live the Top Gun life. First class in 5.5 isn't bad... you on track to be up for Chief at 7?

The Navy--and the military generally--have serious work/life harmony issues when you're on shore tours and/or not deployed. While you're in, take advantage of the education benefits and come out with a (useful/lucrative) degree.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I don't have a pick of the front trans mount, but when I swapped in the 88 cradle, I welded in a couple of 2x3 crossmembers. I then welded four sets of ears to the crossmember to provide four corner mounting for the engine. the passenger side engine mount is a 2x3 beam with leaf spring bushings in the ends, the fiero stock front engine mount bolted to that, and another tab to catch the center bottom bolthole on the front of the oil pan, and a bolthole on the side of the block. the rear trans mount bolts to the diff housing on the trans, and the front is bolted to the trans bellhousing and kinda doubles as a shitty scatter shield for the flywheel and pressureplate.
mounts.jpg
mounts.jpg (103.07 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
I have to qualify engineering watch supervisor to be eligible for Chief, which may or may not happen, I'm not sure yet, it depends on how long it takes to get to my next boat, if I go to another. I'm definitely interested in getting a degree, probably in an engineering field, I was hoping to stay with the decom boat and have all the time in the world to work on it, but I'll most likely be sent to another seagoing boat. thankfully my nuke training opens quite a few doors that can take me any number of places, with or without a degree.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm

What wheels are those?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The wheels are Enkei Kojin's. They're 18" diameter, but I forget the offsets and widths off the top of my head.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, a small victory today, the car is in the garage. I'm going to try and get the rest of the garage cleaned out, and the car as well. then slowly start prepping for the engine removal. 2019 will be the year of the Banshee, this car will be operational, and cut a time before dec 31.
banshee.jpg
banshee.jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, not really progress, but I was cleaning a set of heads and though baking them might help... I guess I went a little too hot... lol
seats.jpg
seats.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Thankfully, this was just a spare head that I was going to use attempt to get a good 3d scan of...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

some quick notes on 3500 heads:

castings seem very consistent port to port.

SSR on the exhaust is a little wonky in the bowls by the valve seats, the seat overhangs the casting by a pretty good margin, probably over .030-.060" near the spark plug boss, probably not worth much on a flowbench if I had to guess, but if I port them, it will go away.

intake ports seem to have an excess of cast material in the spark plug area as well.

intake SSR feels pretty good, but could use a little bit of blend to the seat.

all ports have a good bit of casting flash, but in terms of performance, smoothing it out probably isn't worth jack.

I'll get come pictures soon-ish.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

quick update:

I'm going to attempt to use the composite logger in tunerstudio to log my 3500's trigger wheel, and compare it to a 7x and 36-1 trigger wheel, so I can hopefully map the wheel and ditch the external wheel altogether.

the garage is very quickly becoming more organized and usable, I plan to try and get the car cleaned out here in the next week, and start the basic disassembly required to get the existing engine out, so I can start getting the new engine (yet to acquire) put together. I'm also going to make a welding station so that I can sit while I weld parts up, instead of the usual odd half standing and bracing parts at awkward angles crap I've been doing for the past few years.

some shitty pictures of the heads:
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (581.43 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (653.45 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg (605.08 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg (599.96 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

small update, I put power to the car again, later when my laptop is done transferring stuff to an external HDD, I'm going to use the composite logger in tunerstudio to log the internal LX9 wheel, and try and get setup so I can use it instead of an external. I pulled all the plugs, and they're all black as hell, like the car was way pig rich, I'm going to put new plugs in with some fresh gas, and see what happens, I'm not holding my breath though.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I reconfirmed the LX9 wheel is a 24x wheel, I thought it was something different like 56x or some other oddball. someone on another forum claimed it was the LS1 pattern, so I logged the trigger signal, and "overlaid" it on the trigger map from the MS3 hardware manual, and aside from some slight scaling mismatch, it's the same.
24x.png
24x.png (67.48 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
this is good news, because MS3 supports the 24x wheel, and I can ditch the external wheel. but there is bad news to go with it, when the 24x settings are applied in tunerstudio, and flashed to the MS3, they don't work. after a power cycle of the MS3, an error message appears stating that the 24x wheel only works with an even fire V8.... GRRR.
nothing.png
nothing.png (249.35 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
I'm hoping someone at DIYautotune, or the MSextra forums can help me reconfigure the settings to work, I'd prefer to use the stock internal wheel, over an external.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Stuff like that is why I stick with factory ECMs...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 am Stuff like that is why I stick with factory ECMs...
well, this opens a world of possibilities, there is a real chance, that the 24x wheel may allow the use of the 0411! not that I'll be going back to obd2 at this point, but it's something I will assist in developing the system to work. the LS1 also uses a 1x cam wheel, but, the LS1 is a 180 degree 1x wheel, not a single tooth wheel like the V6. that being said, the V6 cam wheel could be machined to 180 degree like the LS1 wheel. there is a real possibility that this will work. :twisted:

also, James on the MS forum says there's a patch that was never installed(lack of interest) in MS3 for this, and he'll add it to the next beta, so I should be able to make something happen soonish.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If the Shelby OS has the Northstar trigger/ignition switched on, I don't see why converting it to 6 cylinder using the same trigger would be that hard in software. OTOH... GM never ran a 6 cylinder with that wheel with that PCM.