I'm fixing my turd

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: I'm fixing my turd

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The LF3 is what I meant... I had my wires crossed thinking you were talking about the LF3 rather than the LFX.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The LF3 is what I meant... I had my wires crossed thinking you were talking about the LF3 rather than the LFX.
Yeah. An F40 with the LF3 is feasible but GM's longitudinal packaging typically doesn't agree with the shape of a transverse engine bay.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The one photo I've seen doesn't look too bad. The accessory belt barely sticks out beyond the VVT actuators in the heads. The water neck goes the wrong direction, but there must be SOME front wheel drive part that goes the way that works better for Fieros, as the water neck shown is backwards for GM's transverse mounting as well.

Also, because the DI engine is now offered in FWD vehicles, it's probable that an enterprising swapper could mix and match together an accessory drive and oil pan combo suitable for transverse mounting, while retaining the DI, the turbos, plumbing and intake manifold with integrated intercooler.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Wow, that does look pretty good, as long as the passenger side halfshaft doesn't go straight through the turbo and alternator..
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I hate wiring, therefore all new age motors are crap. I would however look at a shortstar, as I always loved the TDC swaps.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Just get a carb'd Chevy, then... or even better, a 4.3 V6! :crazy:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

GM HF V6 Turbo 2.8 (LP9) in a Fiero: http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/091238-2.html

Looks like getting in the car is pretty easy. It appears to be shorter than the 3.4 DOHC in almost every direction.

Where does one go about getting full drivetrain pullouts like that? Full cradle with engine, trans, axles, wiring harness, ECU, etc..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

http://www.car-parts.com

Call around to junk yards that list the engine... if it's still in the car, they can probably get you a full powertrain pullout.

As it uses a chain instead of a belt, was designed with VVT from the ground up, and fits pretty much anywhere a pushrod V6 fits, I figured the mechanical fitment was a non-issue.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Going to car part . Com will be your best bet. Most yards leave the engine in the car when it arrives. A simple call to a yard that lists one on the website would answer if the whole dropout is available.

My yards here usually have kept the engines in the cars just drain the fluids.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Cool, thanks. It's between that and the LNF when my LQ1 blows up or wears out eventually.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Sold my mustang last night

here is another fiero issue..one that shaun hates

On the shelf is a plastic LS1 we used to build the corvair
On the stand is an L33
under the cover is a fiero

Too bad V8Archie is the only one making adapters..
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Others have made adapters on their own. Check the other forum. I don't think it's a big deal, besides mounting the starter.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The starter's the only big obstacle.

The crank flange sticks out 11/16" from the bellhousing face on a traditional Chevy. This drives Rcheee's adapter plate to be at least 3/4" thick (Maybe 1"... not sure)

That number is down to .280" for an LS engine. That means that you could use a Zumalt style thin adapter plate. From there, just have SPEC put the LS bolt pattern and crank pilot into one of their FWD aluminum flywheels and you'll be able to bolt the driveline together.

HOWEVER, you'd still have to figure out the starter.
You could mount an LS4 starter to the bellhousing the way FieroGuru did: http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000123.html#p1

Or get an aftermarket oil pan and hack it up until you can mount a starter underneath the engine... I think some people were talking about doing that to a GTO oil pan. I think someone on the other forum even found a prototype pan showing that GM themselves had looked at that option for the LS4.

Of course if you dry sump it, mounting the starter under the engine will be easy. :wink:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

There was a guy who did the ls1 swap before V8Archie. He might have a cad file or could maybe make one.

If going ls though I would recommend the ls4 as no adapter is needed. You can still use the getrag too with some ingenuity to mount the starter.

A cam swap and since you hate wring, edelbrock makes a bolt on carb setup with ignition system. Should make 300 whp I imagine dialed in.

3400/3500 would need some wiring but there are now some people that do full swap harnesses. Bolt in and go. Uses stock mounts too.

If staying v6 I say 3500. If v8 go ls4
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I should probably clarify that my deep hatred towards wiring is more to the holley commander CHRFab setup I had. I got the car running within a few hours of install.. It was the paint by numbers interface that sucked absolute anus. I don't "hate" wiring.. I hated what I had..

the being said, I don't want this to get out of control as it originally did.. The more I think about it, the more I think Shaun is probably right. I am not building an autocross or track car out of it.. I just want a nice driver... I would like some "fun" to it.. so probably a turbo v6 is the way to go.. I can't say enough how much I loved the shitty v6..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You already have the Northstar installed, though.

A good running car is as close as a Shelby computer and some rewiring of your current harness.

What's blowed up on your current one?
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I sold my harness and ECM years ago. I wasn't kidding when I said I took the old N* to the wreckers a few days ago.. I do still have the flywheel.

The only way I would ever do that swap again is with a much newer N* with low miles.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I'd stick with the N* over a turbo 6. Get it running right and you probably won't regret it. One thing I miss is the down low torque of a V-8. My GTR is a PITA to drive around town. It's gutless until it spools.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

THE PUNISHER wrote:I sold my harness and ECM years ago. I wasn't kidding when I said I took the old N* to the wreckers a few days ago.. I do still have the flywheel.

The only way I would ever do that swap again is with a much newer N* with low miles.
Mount brackets?

Obviously, you have a cradle that's already modded for the Northstar... Cradle, flywheel and mount brackets are really the big hardware items.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I mounted mine with shaun about 10 years ago.. Wasn't hard at all.. The motor is the real concern.