This looks tasty

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

THE PUNISHER

This looks tasty

Post by THE PUNISHER »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-0L-Engine-fro ... 18&vxp=mtr

3.0l 265hp

anyone got any real info?
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: This looks tasty

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you'd be the first.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Direct injection? Might be a nightmare.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

crzyone wrote:Direct injection? Might be a nightmare.
Why? Direct injection is a pretty much a self contained system on the engine. An electric fuel pump simply feeds gas to the engine where the DI system does it's thing similar to a diesel.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Exactly the same externally as the 3.6 DI engine from CTS's, SRX's and Camaros that makes 305 HP.

Check out www.car-parts.com for good prices on swap engines.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

jelly2m81 wrote:
crzyone wrote:Direct injection? Might be a nightmare.
Why? Direct injection is a pretty much a self contained system on the engine. An electric fuel pump simply feeds gas to the engine where the DI system does it's thing similar to a diesel.
The high pressure fuel pump is mechanical... I've been wondering where it is and how they drive it on the V6's and the Ecotecs.
On the new LT1 V8, they put a gear on the back of the cam and drive it like an old school distributor. It's very compact and the entire fuel delivery system tucks into the valley between the valley cover plate/AFM oil manifold and the intake manifold.

Edit: The LNF Ecotecs have a reciprocating pump run off an extra lobe on the back of the intake cam: http://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/showima ... 0&catid=29

Looks like a nice compact little unit: http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66 ... mp-251663/

Edit 2: Not a gear on the LT1 cam... just another lobe and reciprocating pump:
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/eng ... ewall.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-v- ... -show.html
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

do it! lets see a unique swap instead of another boring LSx engine.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

ericjon262 wrote:lets see a unique swap instead of another boring LSx engine.
The LSx swap itself may be boring, but the resulting vehicle is not.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I am looking more for balance then a brutally fast car... I just sold my very well setup (ESP) mustang.. It had everything Sam strano could sell me for it.. The car was perfectly balanced for the HP it had and the 285 RS'3s. I could easily outpace 2 well driven Elises, c5 Z06's etc at our local track... I drove a friends GT500 with similar mods and hated it. The car was over powered for the chassis and just cuimbersome.

Different strokes for different folks..
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

And the GT500 has what... 150 more lbs over the front tires?

The Fiero can take a good bit of power and not be unbalanced... I have ~315 at the wheels and The Mule feels like it could easily handle more. That's with 215 front and 245 rear tires.

I imagine Steven's car with (IIRC) 230 WHP and 275's on the rear can accept WOT right off an apex and never have a problem.

Having driven the Northstar, I feel that a 3.6 would get boring quickly.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:And the GT500 has what... 150 more lbs over the front tires?

The Fiero can take a good bit of power and not be unbalanced... I have ~315 at the wheels and The Mule feels like it could easily handle more. That's with 215 front and 245 rear tires.

I imagine Steven's car with (IIRC) 230 WHP and 275's on the rear can accept WOT right off an apex and never have a problem.

Having driven the Northstar, I feel that a 3.6 would get boring quickly.
At 220 whp, I'm pretty much flat on the gas in 2nd gear shortly after turn-in. It will start to push with too much throttle on low speed turns but it won't spin the tires. First gear is drift mode though, if I'm not going straight.

The car could use another 100 hp. I don't know about going beyond that, especially with the open diff..
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Here are some dyno numbers for the 3.6L version of the 3.0L that the Pun found on ebay:
223 HP, 221 ft-lbs. Peak HP is at about 6500. Nice torque. Huge area under the curve.
(from http://www.trifectaperformance.com/dynos.aspx)

It's through an unknown transmission, but probably a slushbox, since I found similar numbers for a CTS with an automatic transmission: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/20 ... tions.html

So it's about the same amount of power my 3.4 DOHC (LQ1) put down on a Dynapack (which reads ~10hp higher than a Dynojet), but through an automatic. I would expect at least 10 or 20 hp more through a manual trans. Also the 3.6L has about 10 ft lbs more usable torque throughout the rev range.

Basically about 10-20% more power than a tuned LQ1 but with modern efficiency and, I presume, less weight. The motor also looks like it fits better. However, you have to run the F40 transmission, which does weigh more than the Getrag 282...

Based on all these numbers, I don't think the 3.0L is worth the investment. Go with the 2.8 turbo or the 3.6 DI..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

3.6 DI + 2.8 turbo hardware and upgraded turbo :wink:
The engines are externally identical, so it should just bolt up.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

just found a 3.9 from a Montana here locally for $500.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

500 is a great deal if it runs and doesn't need a rebuild. If you can hear it run or inspect it first I might jump on that. Mileage?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The 3.6 would definitely be the better route, I wouldn't even consider a 3.0, there's no advantage.

As for the Fiero being unbalanced, my car has at least 400whp, probably a decent bit more, and I can honestly say it's way too much. But I'm also on stock suspension, and it's probably not adjusted well either. Not an accurate example in my opinion, I think a Fiero could be balanced and stable with as much power as I have, it'd just need to be built to handle it. Another problem is how power comes on in my car, not only do the cams come on hard at 4,000rpm, but you also go from 0psi to 9 in a heartbeat. Without looking at the graph, I gain something like 200whp in 1,000rpm. I'd love to see Steven's car with my motor. It'd be hard as hell to drive, impossible on an AutoX track, but it'd be fun!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.