Fiero Formula in BSP

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: Fiero Formula in BSP

Post by Aaron »

I've got a whole bunch of poly suspension components for sale, check them out and make me an offer:

http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =5&t=17894
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

well that big box of parts is kinda full of poly suspension stuff lol, if there is anything else i need i will shoot you a pm.
Aaron wrote:I've got a whole bunch of poly suspension components for sale, check them out and make me an offer:

http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =5&t=17894

Is there is a transmission that is a direct bolt to the frame and the motor that is not in the fiero? if not i am looking for a getrag 5 speed if anyone has any for sale? I am looking to buy sometime after Christmas.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

You can find a getrag from the cavaliers and sunfires from 89-93 or so and technically they are a drop in and bolt to the fiero cradle with the Fiero mounts. The clutch hydraulics are different though which you will have to play with but its well documented and fairly easy
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The V6's all have 3.61 final gears, but if you pick the right Quad 4 app, you can get 3.94 gears. Of course, then you have to swap the V6 bellhousing on and get the crush set correctly on the diff bearings.

Cavalier, Beretta, Grand Am, 6000, Celebrity, etc... basically any GM FWD V6 w/ manual transmission in late '80's early '90's will fit.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

What was the final drive of the Fiero 284?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The 284 is the TDC transmission... IIRC, it has 3.67 final gears.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I meant Fiero 282 sorry. I guess I could just search for it..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:I meant Fiero 282 sorry. I guess I could just search for it..
The Dark Side of Will wrote:The V6's all have 3.61 final gears,
Or you could read :wink:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

tehmaxfactr wrote:well that big box of parts is kinda full of poly suspension stuff lol, if there is anything else i need i will shoot you a pm.
Again, check the rule book regarding rod end lateral links. Urethane in the lateral links is a waste of time compared to rod ends.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
tehmaxfactr wrote:well that big box of parts is kinda full of poly suspension stuff lol, if there is anything else i need i will shoot you a pm.
Again, check the rule book regarding rod end lateral links. Urethane in the lateral links is a waste of time compared to rod ends.
I know these are not legal for Street Prepared but once I get my other motor and stuff ready, I'm about 98% sure they are legal for Super Street Mod.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Hadnt updated in a while, i am trying to source out a getrag 5 speed that has no issues.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

tehmaxfactr wrote:Hadnt updated in a while, i am trying to source out a getrag 5 speed that has no issues.
They aren't too hard rebuild if you have a press and can get the rebuild parts. Check with Rodney Dickman and on ebay for Getrag 282 or NVG T550 rebuild kits.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

ok, thanks.... until then.... its back to the miata lol.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

do you currently have a getrag that is no good?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I have one that second and third grind when you try to shift with any kind of speed.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

tehmaxfactr wrote:I have one that second and third grind when you try to shift with any kind of speed.
All you need is new blocker rings. Call High Gear Transmission (http://www.highgeartransmission.com/) and see if they can still get them. I bought two rebuild kits from them many years ago. You can also try Midwest Transmission (http://www.midwesttrans.com/); they have rebuilt at least a few of these. If those sources don't work, check with Rodney. He might know a source.

Read this thread, and all the threads it refers to: phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16004

Much of the rebuild guide is also available here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repair ... 52801dac21
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

Quick update,I found a donor motor at a local junkyard nearby. It seems the dont see too many of the LX9 motors. I am going to get it in the next couple of weeks.
tehmaxfactr

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I have not had much time to work on the formula ,but i have pulled the subframe out. I want to clean it up and get it powercoated and also install poly bushings in all the suspension components in the rear.
Also I am looking to get a bit more power out of the 2.8. I am very limited in the BSP ruleset. Right now I am looking at making my own intake and exhaust for the car. I bought a lightweight crank pulley to replace the factory one. I am also planning on putting a lieghtweight flywheel.
I am planning on getting all of the extra weight out of the car, with the removal of the AC, stereo with all speakers, going to some light weight wheels, taking out the heavy intake system, using a single exhaust muffler instead of the factory dual one, and some lightweight race seats.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UM1e ... sp=sharing
draven

Post by draven »

You could put in a 3.4 PR
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

If the rules allow for it, you should install solid rod ends in the lateral links instead of polyurethane. See: http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2573

If you decide to use polyurethane you should retighten the long cross bolt after every race day. It will keep working itself loose.