Best engine for what I'm looking for?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Emc209i

Re: Best engine for what I'm looking for?

Post by Emc209i »

dhen wrote:And with respect to all, these cars are 25+ years old...
That's exactly how I feel. Enjoy the car for what it is.

Series8217 has experience setting up paddle shifters. You'd want the 4T65e-HD that came with the 3800. Of course that would be an expensive novelty that really isn't needed considering the PCM is completely tunable for shifting the automatic. So it would be a sport option. At that point I'd just install a stick - because I wouldn't be drag racing.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I don't think you'll ever see quick shifts out of a paddle shifted 4 speed automatic. The heart of those transmissions is still the Simpson gearset. Transmissions based on that gearset just take time to shift because they have lengthy hydraulic passages compared to GM's modern 6 speed clutch-to-clutch automatics.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I don't think you'll ever see quick shifts out of a paddle shifted 4 speed automatic. The heart of those transmissions is still the Simpson gearset. Transmissions based on that gearset just take time to shift because they have lengthy hydraulic passages compared to GM's modern 6 speed clutch-to-clutch automatics.
This is correct.

The paddleshifter setup I installed on a 4T80E was more gimmicky than anything. It shifted very slowly (on the order of seconds).
dhen

Post by dhen »

Series8217 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I don't think you'll ever see quick shifts out of a paddle shifted 4 speed automatic. The heart of those transmissions is still the Simpson gearset. Transmissions based on that gearset just take time to shift because they have lengthy hydraulic passages compared to GM's modern 6 speed clutch-to-clutch automatics.
This is correct.

The paddleshifter setup I installed on a 4T80E was more gimmicky than anything. It shifted very slowly (on the order of seconds).
Yikes. Thanks for letting me know. Manual it is.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I'd like to see more long term testing as well as more people using the f35 behind 3800s for durability. I know that the 65 is robust and reliable and can shift quickly no paddle shift required.

I guess using the thelin mounts is the best way to go than with the f35?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The F35 was available with the standard GM transverse bolt pattern?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I might be getting my trans numbers messed up. F23 maybe?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I might be getting my trans numbers messed up. F23 maybe?
Yes
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: I know that the 65 is robust and reliable and can shift quickly no paddle shift required.
It shifts quickly in that it can be programmed to shift firmly and at a given RPM during automatic operation. However, the hydraulic operations start happening 1-2 seconds before the transmission actually shifts gear. The indicated gear change is the tail end of the shifting operation.