3rd/4th gen F-body rear suspension

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

ericjon262

3rd/4th gen F-body rear suspension

Post by ericjon262 »

I know a bunch of you guys know suspension dynamics WAY better then I do, would this work as advertised? the design looks cool that's for sure, but to me, it looks like it would feel like you're driving a car with a blown transmission mount depending on the amount of movement to couple and decouple.

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/TA/
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: 3rd/4th gen F-body rear suspension

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Circle track cars *kinda* do that...

http://www.circletrack.com/drivetrainte ... iger_rear/

The "birdcage" component mounts the 4 link trailing arms, coil over shocks and brake calipers. This means that brake torque goes through the 4-link. The birdcages have tapered roller bearing pairs so they are free to spin on the axle tubes.
There's a torque arm mounted on the quick change housing which provides anti-squat. As you can see in the article, there's a coil over shock between the torque arm and the body.

Drive loads and braking loads are completely decoupled. They do this because an axle with a lot of anti-squat will be subject to a lot of wheel hop under hard braking ("dribble like a basketball" according to a guy on Corner Carvers).
ericjon262

Re: 3rd/4th gen F-body rear suspension

Post by ericjon262 »

gotcha, so this is a viable design and not just a bunch of BS.

do you have an suggested reading so I could learn more about how suspension systems are engineered?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."