tgp manifolds

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

jdv

tgp manifolds

Post by jdv »

will tgp manifolds fit the 3500 head with porting?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: tgp manifolds

Post by Aaron »

I don't believe so. Even if they will, please don't. Some of the worst-designed manifolds I've ever seen. I know this is the Fiero way of doing things, but don't be like the rest.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

jdv wrote:will tgp manifolds fit the 3500 head with porting?

I was going to use a set until I got them in my hands and saw how much they would choke me down, and the 3500 port is so much bigger, you end up losing all of the sealing area of the flange. as stated, it's just a bad idea.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

if you look closely, you can see where the gasket overhangs the flange in some spots.

again, just a bad idea.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

good pics. The 3500 exhaust ports were changed from the 3400 and the 3100 heads. They might work on those heads with porting as those ports are different from the 3500. They won't be better than custom headers but for something cheap and for space constraints aren't a bad option. People still make decent power on turbo setups with the stock fiero logs.

I am using ported TGP manifolds on my turbo 3500, but I am running gen 2 heads and not the 3500 heads.
jdv

Post by jdv »

Thanks for the info. But gave my word. maybe 3400 heads will work better.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

jdv wrote:Thanks for the info. But gave my word. maybe 3400 heads will work better.
it is possible on the 3400, but just barely, I wouldn't do it myself. my recommendation would be to weld up a log manifold . it's not too hard if you have the tools and equipment. not as effective as a 3-1 header setup, but it works, and won't choke the system down like the TGP parts would.

FWIW, ben @ WOT tech claims max effort 3400 heads will outflow max effort 3500 heads.

what do you mean by "but gave my word"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

ericjon262 wrote:
jdv wrote:Thanks for the info. But gave my word. maybe 3400 heads will work better.
FWIW, ben @ WOT tech claims max effort 3400 heads will outflow max effort 3500 heads.
Both sides? Link?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Gave your work you'd buy them?
Just sell them. There's always someone who wants those.
The front TGP manifold is common to all the FWD 3.1's... only the rear is unique.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
ericjon262 wrote:
Both sides? Link?
he has said it a couple of times on 60V6, keep in mind, he was speaking of LX9 and LA1 heads, not the LZ series heads. I hadn't seen flow number for both in a while, but IIRC, they're on his site somewhere.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I figured that's what you meant regarding "3500" heads. I've heard something similar about DSM heads... while the 1G heads outflow the 2G heads stock due to larger ports, supposedly a max effort 2G head is better than a max effort 1G head because the port shape can be better, due to having more material to work with stock.