87 fiero not running need some help plz

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

classic ccg

87 fiero not running need some help plz

Post by classic ccg »

Okay here is what we know:

Spark appears to be strong. 3 ignition modules, two ignition coils, two distributors, checked DC voltage at distributor and ignition coil, all appear to be good. Two parts stores verified the ignition modules. New plug wires, dizzy cap and rotor button.

Timing. Set ignition timing to spec, then 'rotated" the plug wires at dizzy cap 3 terminals ~180 degrees worth, still nothing.

Disconnected the wire going to Tach filter, in case it somehow had shorted.

Verified the Harmonic balancer/front pulley has NOT slipped. Found TDC with coat hanger down #1 cylinder, TDC timing mark was also TDC.

Did get the engine to stumble/somewhat run for 1 second when the distributor was moved (far) away from set timing.

This is while using ether/starting fluid.

Previous owner stated they thought it was timing, their English was not too good.

Fuel tank was cleaned out and fuel pump replaced. Fuel pressure was checked at Schrader valve at 42 PSI, engine not running of course.

Any suggestions? Surely this phenomenon has happened before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qg28m2z8ws

this myhelp
Shaun41178(2)

Re: 87 fiero not running need some help plz

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

car won't start when holding the gas pedal at wot as it shuts off the fuel injectors.

Spraying fluid down it gets it to sputter as it should. If the car has been sitting I say the injectors are clogged.
classic ccg

Post by classic ccg »

ok i did not know that if i held the gas padel down it would shut the injectors off. im going to pull them out. any tips before i do this. this is my first car that has had EFI on it.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Reverify the timing with cyl 1 at tdc and the dizzy rotor aimed at number one cyl.

Pull upper intake. Loosen bolts that hold down the fuel rail but leave the fuel lines connected.

Disable the ignition system so you don't start an accidental fire.

While cranking the engine you can view the injectors and see if they are spraying fuel or put a napkin down in front to see if there is fuel. I am betting its dry if everything else you say you have done is correct.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming you know how to index the distributor as Shaun indicated. It should start on starting fluid with the timing correctly set. If it's not doing that, figure out what's wrong.

You don't need to pull the injectors out. You can listen to them as you crank. Take a long screwdriver and put the tip on an injector and put your ear on the handle end. You should be able to hear the injectors click as the engine cranks.

Was the original fuel pump seized? If so, there's a good chance the injectors are stuck as well. Ethanol gas is very bad for that.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you verify the injector fuses are good?

http://myfiero.com/uploads/8245_.jpg

Its the orange ones with the number 5 on them.
classic ccg

Post by classic ccg »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:you verify the injector fuses are good?

http://myfiero.com/uploads/8245_.jpg

Its the orange ones with the number 5 on them.
The fuses are in working order..
classic ccg

Post by classic ccg »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming you know how to index the distributor as Shaun indicated. It should start on starting fluid with the timing correctly set. If it's not doing that, figure out what's wrong.

You don't need to pull the injectors out. You can listen to them as you crank. Take a long screwdriver and put the tip on an injector and put your ear on the handle end. You should be able to hear the injectors click as the engine cranks.

Was the original fuel pump seized? If so, there's a good chance the injectors are stuck as well. Ethanol gas is very bad for that.
I will get the pics tomorrow to show what I have done but I have a full day to work. Yes the fuel pump was seized with a black sludge so I replaced that and the fuel filter and cleaned the lines. I'm on my phone giving you guys a update..
classic ccg

Post by classic ccg »

So today day was fun and I did pull the injectors out. My reasoning for that is the fuel system was so stopped up form the black sludge that I wanted to be safe and flush out the fuel rail.

But i did try and see if the injectors would let the fuel out. 2 and 4 did, but none off the others would.
So what cleaners would you guys say to use? I was thinking off putting the cleaner in a rubber tube and hook one of the injectors to the car to turn the injector on. What do you guys think? I will post some pics tonight when I get home.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Take the injectors to a business that specializes in cleaning and flow testing injectors. All it takes is one running lean to toast your engine. Make sure they are all flowing equal amounts.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

New or remans are all over ebay for $140-$190 a set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-YEAR-WARRANTY ... f5&vxp=mtr

Just replace all of them.

If you have any buildup or sludge in your fuel system I'd change your filter ASAP. Then maybe change it again down the road once you've run a couple tanks of fuel through the car.