Please help 3800 flywheel bolt question

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Lou and Blue

Please help 3800 flywheel bolt question

Post by Lou and Blue »

I bought a flywheel from a highly regarded member on Old Europe and although I've been advised to use the arp Chevy cam bolts , they are about 1/8 inch too short and if I screw one of the arp cam bolts into the crank by hand without the flywheel on it, if its screwed in all the way it can go it feels secure , but if I back it out a bit to make up for the flywheel thickness (really difference in flywheel thickness and extra bolt thread when fully screwed in) it feels wiggly and I don't know if I should count on loctite,to hold that power. I haven't bought gm bolts but I've read they have interference With the clutch springs and the head of the bolt. I also don't know if the gm flywheel bolts are any longer than the arp ones anyway.

Please let me know what you are using , have used, or that you know is successful.
Thanks,
Louis

(Tried to PM this to shaun but i don't think it worked)
Emc209i

Re: Please help 3800 flywheel bolt question

Post by Emc209i »

The GM bolts are torque to yield and stretch as you tighten them. A lot of different people have sheered them off at the flywheel. I'm not the only one, so I'm inclined to believe that I just didn't have a miscalibrated torque wrench. Picture related.

I replaced them with Grade 8-10 (don't remember) bolts from the local hardware store.

I sold the engine after fixing this problem to a guy who was a lunatic. I heard later he was drag racing the engine on the street quite a lot. I ended up repossessing his car after he stopped paying me for the engine. The bolts held up and were there when I resold the engine. I know of a few others who have also used hardware bolts. I personally would find a longer ARP bolt if I had the choice again and were in your shoes. But in a pinch... it worked. The GM stuff is expensive and is junk. Really soft bolts, not fit for a completely stock setup really.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

doesn't the 3800 use some obscenely small bolts for the flywheel? something like 5/16"?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Shit, I just ordered the GM flywheel bolts. What are you torquing the hardware store bolts to?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Like 60 ft-lbs with red loc tight. You could probably sell the GM bolts on piffle for what you payed for them.
ericjon262 wrote:doesn't the 3800 use some obscenely small bolts for the flywheel? something like 5/16"?
Nah, they fit the ID of the flywheel holes - you can see the shafts in the picture I posted. I do remember though that they felt like cheese tightening. They never really "snugged", you just kept tightening until the wrench popped at a really low torque spec. And to think I payed like $5 a pop.