ARI 3.1 stroker with turbo!

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Artemis87GT

ARI 3.1 stroker with turbo!

Post by Artemis87GT »

Hey everyone, so after letting the Fiero sit for about two years I've finally come up with a build plan! I will be going with the ARI 3.1 stroker and a turbo! What size I'm undecided yet, but possibly a MHI 16g or a Bullseyepower 50 that I have left over from my dsm days. Well to cut to the chase my only real question is for the guys who do have or have knowledge of running the 2.8 with a turbo. I've seen a lot of intercoolers in the back cubby with no vents to allow air in, is this really enough?
Shaun41178(2)

Re: ARI 3.1 stroker with turbo!

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I mounted mine where the muffler was. Its not perfect, if you cut the trunk out, then there will be plenty of flow.

I didn't cut out my trunk. Pics are on my build thread

How much power are you looking to make?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Artemis87GT wrote:Hey everyone, so after letting the Fiero sit for about two years I've finally come up with a build plan! I will be going with the ARI 3.1 stroker and a turbo! What size I'm undecided yet, but possibly a MHI 16g or a Bullseyepower 50 that I have left over from my dsm days. Well to cut to the chase my only real question is for the guys who do have or have knowledge of running the 2.8 with a turbo. I've seen a lot of intercoolers in the back cubby with no vents to allow air in, is this really enough?
Welcome to the forum!

Do you already have the engine?
I @$$ume it's an iron head engine, like the 2.8.
Artemis87GT

Post by Artemis87GT »

I don't have the motor yet, although I've been talking to ARI and they are currently 14 days behind and not taking orders. The plan is to take my stock one down as a core and pick up a built long block with a 9-1 cr. For flow to the IC I was thinking of making vents in the trunk, also a deck lid scoop to be combined with my sail and side scoops ( that will all be made functional to help with cooling ). As for power I'd like to see high 300's or low 400''s but I'm still doing the research to make sure I do it safely ;)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Ditch that 16g. It won't make your power goals. The 50 trim I'll have to rerun the numbers but if prob ditch that too. If your goal is 400 hp or so it can be done but I would go with at least a 58mm compressor wheel to do it. I used a precision sc61 which I don't think are made anymore but a billet 62 is close to the same size and better. I made 280 whp on 5 cylinders with 10-11 psi on a dynojet and 370 with nitrous
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Also I wouldn't get a longblock, get a short block and buy a set of falconer ported heads from Will here with titanium hardware. I'm sure he will cut you a good deal
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

Artemis87GT

Post by Artemis87GT »

Damn, you guys know your stuff! Glad I joined this site, as for the turbos the only reason I was considering playing around with those is the fact I already have them. As for power wise I'm hoping to hit those numbers with just boost!
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

sell them both. they aren't worth the trouble of trying to use. put that money towards a turbo with a compressor wheel with at least a 60mm inducer. with the proper cam, head and intake flow, and the proper turbo, you should see about 400 bhp on 15ish psi.

http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... urbo+setup

info on my build and parts used with pics

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

there are better heads and intakes out there than the iron head stuff. I would recommend doing a build with a 3x00 instead of the older engines. you can get more displacement, roller camshaft, less weight, better heads and intake, improved oiling, ect... the 3x00's are very dimensionally similar to the 2.8's and 3.1's as well. they can almost bolt in.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Artemis87GT wrote:I don't have the motor yet, although I've been talking to ARI and they are currently 14 days behind and not taking orders. The plan is to take my stock one down as a core and pick up a built long block with a 9-1 cr.

As for power I'd like to see high 300's or low 400''s but I'm still doing the research to make sure I do it safely ;)
A 3400 or LX9 3500 (aluminum heads, roller cam) will hit that power goal MUCH more easily than an iron head 2.8, with a stock long block, for WAY less money than an ARI reman. You'll still need an appropriate turbo, though.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Here is the thread for the ported iron heads

http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2930

Artemis87GT

Post by Artemis87GT »

Thanks for all the info and help guys!
ericjon262 wrote:there are better heads and intakes out there than the iron head stuff. I would recommend doing a build with a 3x00 instead of the older engines. you can get more displacement, roller camshaft, less weight, better heads and intake, improved oiling, ect... the 3x00's are very dimensionally similar to the 2.8's and 3.1's as well. they can almost bolt in.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Artemis87GT wrote:I don't have the motor yet, although I've been talking to ARI and they are currently 14 days behind and not taking orders. The plan is to take my stock one down as a core and pick up a built long block with a 9-1 cr.

As for power I'd like to see high 300's or low 400''s but I'm still doing the research to make sure I do it safely ;)
A 3400 or LX9 3500 (aluminum heads, roller cam) will hit that power goal MUCH more easily than an iron head 2.8, with a stock long block, for WAY less money than an ARI reman. You'll still need an appropriate turbo, though.
To answer both of those, I don't want to do a engine swap... I understand that not doing so will make reaching my goals more costly and harder but I just can't bring my self to do it. I had originally planned on a 4g63t or j20 swap seeing as all my history is with those motors and other import cars. The fiero is the car that always eluded me, in high school the parents wouldn't let me have one.. due to safety.. HA! to bad I had two 92 dodge stealth tt's and a 95 talon tsi pushing 30psi ;), so once I finally decided to buy one (after owning 16 other imports) I just can't bring my self to.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ok... well, at least go with a roller cam 3400 or 3500 block to top off with iron heads and Fiero intake. :wink:
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you really want to keep the look of the Fiero specific intake and valve covers.

I will say that the Gen II and Gen III 60 degree engines are really not hard swaps, and wouldn't hurt the value in my opinion, all engines gm made are commuter car engines save a few special nostalgic pieces, that's why they can interchange so well. a 3500 would literally cost $500 and has better factory features than anything ARI will throw into the 3.1 long block. They use a factory GENII crank, hypereutetic pistons, and standard OE grade bearings, all stuff a 3500 has, plus the crank has larger rod pins, lighter aluminum heads with canted valves (like the BBC, Cleveland, and every modern NASCAR head), roller lifter cam, revised oiling to the crank for better main bearing support. The evolutionary improvements go on and on.

But most people hate the idea of ditching the machined fin look. Red paint isn't hard to use on any engine.

Its akin to a B18Cx into a civic, its "hardly a swap" when everything just bolts in place and no aftermarket parts are needed.
car.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

He already said he wanted to not have to do an engine swap. Staying with iron heads and porting them out, can still reach his horsepower goals. Besides someone here did a 3500 swap with dis and computer and custom plenum and big throttle body and turbo setup, and all that, and his wiring is still all messed up and its barely running(like crap too) and its been several years since he claimed it was going to be finished.

Nothing wrong with staying iron heads. I made more with my iron heads then unsaid person above has with his fully custom 3500, ebay gt35 turbo swap
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Hahaha. Shaun....lol.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:He already said he wanted to not have to do an engine swap. Staying with iron heads and porting them out, can still reach his horsepower goals. Besides someone here did a 3500 swap with dis and computer and custom plenum and big throttle body and turbo setup, and all that, and his wiring is still all messed up and its barely running(like crap too) and its been several years since he claimed it was going to be finished.

Nothing wrong with staying iron heads. I made more with my iron heads then unsaid person above has with his fully custom 3500, ebay gt35 turbo swap
Dude sounds like a real asshole, he still have the car? I might be interested in getting some parts off of it...

Edit:

is this the car you're talking about shawn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNbOXSFBNis
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Here is the thread for the ported iron heads

http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2930

LOL. I'm the guy who has the race ported iron heads and would love to sell some... but I'm still saying OP will get better results from aluminum heads.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Go 3500. It's 2015, no sense in redoing a .nl build from 1994.

Didnt Shaun have a way to retain the Fiero intake manifold using like gen2 heads on a gen3 block or something? If you HAD to have the red intake.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

ericjon262 wrote:
is this the car you're talking about shawn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNbOXSFBNis
No, that car doesn't have DIS, a messed up wiring harness, and an ebay turbo.