3800sc engine trans and axles/spindles assembly sequence

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Lou and Blue

3800sc engine trans and axles/spindles assembly sequence

Post by Lou and Blue »

I have the motor on a stand, the 4spd tranny on a tire in the drive way, the spindles are separated from the tranny, and everything is off the cradle because I bought a newer condition cradle. I just mounted new tranny and motor mounts to the cradle.
What is the sequence of putting these components on the cradle?
Should I mount the tranny first and the mate the motor to it and finally the axles with spindles(push axles into the tranny and put the spindles down onto the ball joints) ?

Is that the correct sequence being that the tranny and axles are disassembled and separated and not attached to the cradle yet?

Do I just tilt the tranny back to get the engine to mate to it (input shaft into cutch and bell housing bolts.)? Or do I try to mate the tranny while the motor is suspended by the engine hoist?
As is I have to install the clutch and pressure plate when the motor is swinging from the engine hoist because the clutch and PP won't fit while on the stand.

Or do I mount the engine first and then the tranny onto the cradle as if i Was taking the tranny off for clutch job?

Thanks
Louis

Many more questions to come !
Shaun41178(2)

Re: 3800sc engine trans and axles/spindles assembly sequence

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

take the engine off the stand, put the clutch and flywheel on it. Then mate the trans to engine. Then put the engine mount on the engine and trans mounts on the trans. Leave the bolts loose though to allow for adjustment. Then using the hoist lower the engine and trans onto the cradle. tighten engine and trans bolts. Then install the axles and whatever else.

Thats how I would do it.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Lou and Blue

Re: 3800sc engine trans and axles/spindles assembly sequence

Post by Lou and Blue »

Thanks Shaun thats basically how I did it. Except I lowered the engine trans combo onto the engine trans mints that I base already put in the cradle. All together now. Now just to progress with harness and fuel lines and Coolant lines and brakes and batt cables, etc.