Anyone know how to run an E37 PCM as stand alone?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

BigRedDeckSpoiler

Anyone know how to run an E37 PCM as stand alone?

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

As the title says...
Does anyone here know how to make the E37 ECM forget about all the other modules that it likes to talk with? (BCM, ABS, TCM, etc., etc.)
I have heard people allude to (on other CANBUS PCMs) just looping the CANBUS connections back on themselves, but I'm having a hard time believing that's all there is to it.
I found a vendor who said that they can make it run stand alone - for a price, but if it's something as simple as looping back a few data lines, I'd rather not do that.
I have Tunercat, and the appropriate VDF file, so I'm good in that regard, but I figure there will be more stuff that I can't get to.
This is for a 3.9 (LGD) swap. It's essentially a flex fuel version of (and a lot more common than) the LZ9. I'm okay with the drive-by-wire. Want to retain the VVT. This will be a manual tranny install.

Thanks for any assistance.
BRDS
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Anyone know how to run an E37 PCM as stand alone?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I have no idea, but I'm curious.
I'd like to try the DOD/AFM version of the 3900... see if I can add 100 HP, 70 ftlbs of torque and top 30 mpg with a $500 engine.
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I have no idea, but I'm curious.
I'd like to try the DOD/AFM version of the 3900... see if I can add 100 HP, 70 ftlbs of torque and top 30 mpg with a $500 engine.
Be careful with the DOD version. I had forgotten that it even existed until I poked around a bit. They only sold it for a year or two, and lots of people bitched about how it performed. Sluggish. Lots of vibration. Stuff like that. Said that the mileage wasn't any better than an older 3500.
One person said ~20 MPH combined. I do about that with my 3500 G6. (Which, BTW, is the inspiration for a 3900 in a Fiero. As "padded down" as the 3500 is, it still pulls the G6 around quite nicely. I'm guessing that the 3900's 20 more horsepower, with torque management turned off, will do quite nicely.)
BRDS
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The DOD version was offered one year in gasoline (LZ8) and one or two with flex fuel (LZG). The flex fuel version was produced in greater numbers than the gasoline version.

I totally expect a DOD V6 to vibrate when cylinders are turned off. I guess Honda used really squishy engine mounts in theirs. Modern GM transmissions have tall enough gears that the engine turns so slowly in top gear that DOD just doesn't work well in an engine that small. With DOD activated, it's only 1.95 liters AND has three extra sets of piston rings to drag around. It's not going to make enough low end torque to pull the car in top gear.

However, since a Fiero is lighter than the Impala AND the 282 has shorter gears, the combination should allow a Fiero to cruise in DOD to a MUCH greater extent than the Impala. The higher RPM should also make vibration from the lower cylinder count less obvious also.

If it doesn't work well, I can do a DOD delete on it.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I can't help with the stock computer as I have done no research on it although 1000$ standalones can control a 3900. Prob be easier to go to 7730. Although a stock fieor computer can run a 3900. I have some ideas for making this swap almost as simple as a iron head 3.4 but not sure if I'll ever get around to developing/marketing them
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312