Ticking / clicking sound when tightening PP to flywheel

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Lou and Blue

Ticking / clicking sound when tightening PP to flywheel

Post by Lou and Blue »

I was hearing a ticking or clicking sound when I was tightening down the pressure plate, even before I torqued the bolts. I sure hope I don't have to take this apart again.
Any ideas
Im worried that it may have been the rivets holding the Center disk to the clutch plate that broke.
When I spin the axle by hand it spins Freely and is not trying to turn the engine even if I switch the gear by moving the selector
Arm on the tranny.
It's a brand new spec 3+.
I'm hoping it was the springs clicking on the clutch disk or something that isn't bad.
Any ideas?
Any way to test it while on the cradle and not put Into the car yet?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Ticking / clicking sound when tightening PP to flywheel

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Lou and Blue wrote: When I spin the axle by hand it spins Freely and is not trying to turn the engine even if I switch the gear by moving the selector
Arm on the tranny.
If you only have one axle in, you're just spinning the side and spider gears inside the diff. This won't tell you anything about the clutch.

As you're tightening down the pressure plate bolts (you did go around in a circle, 1-2 revolutions at a time, right?) you are compressing the pressure plate spring. Between the spring, the pivots on the pressure plate, the pivots on the pressure plate cover and the tension straps at the perimeter connecting the pressure plate to the cover, there may be some noise, especially if the tension straps are doubled or tripled.
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

I didn't know about that one to two revolutions at a time going around . I prob did tighten it down a bit uneven but knowing it was the pressure plate springs is a relief.

And thanks about the spinning the axle bit. I was told that if I spin both axles I the same direction at the same time it would be hard to move because of the clutch engagement .
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

if you just got done bolting the trans to the block, and you are unsure of ANYTHING, unbolt everything and redo it while its out of the car. Its a lot less work now.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312