some things that need to be fixed before I try driving her

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

kippo

some things that need to be fixed before I try driving her

Post by kippo »

Well I picked up a 86 gt 5 speed for 800. Could not start it due to broken connector on coil.

Any way fixed the connector a few mins ago checked oil and coolant.hooked battery up and tried to start her. No joy. Battery to low. Hooked up the jumper cables and turned key to on position. And here a r e my questions about the fiero.

Key in on position. Oil pressure and temp gauge pegged out high. I can shoot wires just didn't know if this may be a common thing.

the blower in the trunk area starts running as soon as key is in on position.. is this normal?

there is coffee can looking canister laying in the trunk with what looks to be two nipple for vacuum lines. Where does this go ?

Two relays on left side of fire wall . The one farthest to the left which one is that. Mine is not plugged up but I don't really see a sensor for that one to plug into.

Turn key to start and she fired right up. Idles by tach around 1500. After a few mins it drops it 1000 and fluctuates between 1000 and 1200 or so.

this car has been sitting for 3 or 4 months after the shop broke the coil plug while doing a clutch change. So the clutch hydraulic s need to be bleed out.

How stiff should shifter be in neutral moving side to side? Thanks in advance.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: some things that need to be fixed before I try driving h

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

kippo wrote:Well I picked up a 86 gt 5 speed for 800. Could not start it due to broken connector on coil.

Key in on position. Oil pressure and temp gauge pegged out high. I can shoot wires just didn't know if this may be a common thing.
Water temp gauge pegging is normal, but is undesirable. That's actually a design error in GM's wiring harness. The fix is out there... google "Fiero temp gauge wiring fix" or similar for the specifics.
kippo wrote: the blower in the trunk area starts running as soon as key is in on position.. is this normal?
I think so... this blower just provides cool air for the coil and alternator
kippo wrote: there is coffee can looking canister laying in the trunk with what looks to be two nipple for vacuum lines. Where does this go ?
That's the vacuum reservoir for the cruise control. It bolts to the engine compartment side of the trunk firewall straight aft of the throttle body.
kippo wrote: Two relays on left side of fire wall . The one farthest to the left which one is that. Mine is not plugged up but I don't really see a sensor for that one to plug into.
Two relays are the fuel pump and A/C compressor clutch. If the car runs, the one that's unplugged is the compressor clutch
kippo wrote: Turn key to start and she fired right up. Idles by tach around 1500. After a few mins it drops it 1000 and fluctuates between 1000 and 1200 or so.
Not ideal but within the range of normal. You may have a small vacuum leak from the EGR tube.
kippo wrote: How stiff should shifter be in neutral moving side to side? Thanks in advance.
There's a spring load that pushes it back to the 3-4 gate. There should be essentially no friction and the only resistance should be that spring load. It should flop back to the 3-4 gate when you push it to one side and let go of it.
kippo

Post by kippo »

Thank you sir. I've been googling for the past few days.

I did find a article on the fix for the temp gauge. So from the factory these cars had temp gauges pegging? You would think that gm would have fixed a issue like that with a recall.

I figured out the pegged oil pressure gauge. My fuel pump was running all the time so have oil pres switch, valve cover gaskets, plenum gaskets, and dist oring on the way here now. Those and e brake cables and a few other things are suppose to be here this eve.

Ready to get this thing back on the road. I get these fixed and get the alignment done she should be ready to drive.

Then I have to tackle the ac.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

why do fiero owners get hung up on the coolant gauge pegging issue at startup? C5 vetts gauges all peg when started. All that time and money wasted to "fix" something that isn't broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9wMgayq_tw
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:why do fiero owners get hung up on the coolant gauge pegging issue at startup? C5 vetts gauges all peg when started. All that time and money wasted to "fix" something that isn't broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9wMgayq_tw
It *IS* broken. The Fiero gauge is analog. Hitting it with 12V hammers the needle against the inside of the instrument cluster. The needle fell off the gauge in my Formula from this. It's also bad design and not the way the rest of GM's lineup at the time was designed.

The Corvette gauges are digital and the initial sweep is just eye candy.
kippo

Post by kippo »

Mine pegs and stays there. That's why i want to fix it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Then you have a wiring fault in your gauge circuit someplace... not clear if it's continued application of 12V or a faulty coolant temp sensor.
kippo

Post by kippo »

Well while I was looking it over after getting middle and upper plenum off I found the temp sending unit for the gauge busted. Both the wiring harness plug and the sending unit are broke. So trying to find everything local before I order online.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I thought the sensor for the temp gauge is on the trunk side head underneath the ignition coil. Or am I thinking of the wrong one?
kippo

Post by kippo »

Your right i just happened to notice it while i was making mental notes of things .