a few questions while I'm working on the fiero

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

kippo

a few questions while I'm working on the fiero

Post by kippo »

Ok I got the upper and middle plenum off and replacing valve cover gaskets.

I'm going to replace the injector orings while I have it apart. Also doing the plugs and wires since I have no idea how long they have been in the car.

What plugs do you guys run in the v6? I'm partial to ngk but if there is a better one I'm open.

is there anything else any of you would recommend to change out while I'm this far in?

Also the previous owner had just had the clutch done and long story short the shop damaged the coil plug while putting the engine back in the car. Car wouldn't run and owner got fed up sold it cheap. So the rear is all out of whack as far as alignment. Would you drive it the 4 miles to get the alignment done or trailer it?

I can't get a repair manual till next tThursday. I'm trying to find the torque specs and sequence for

upper intake
middle intake
and fuel rail

Thanks in advance.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: a few questions while I'm working on the fiero

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I would look at replacing the distributor gasket o ring. you can get them for a few dollars at any parts store. Verify your plastic vacuum hoses under the upper plenum while you have it apart. they can be cracked at this age.

THe plugs i always used Ac delco R42ts. Also available at any major parts store.
kippo

Post by kippo »

Yes ment to say that. Changing the distributor shaft oring also.

yeah I am looking at them now. Don't see any cracks in them but the soft boots they plug into are deteriorated.

About to see what I can order them for. I'm thinking about doing away with the egr system. Pros or cons for doing this on these cars?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Eliminating EGR might cost you 1 mpg, but it definitely simplifies the engine compartment, results in less soot and carbon in the intake, and removes the EGR tube as a $100 failure point
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

II eliminated my egr never had a problem. I left the valve bolted to the crossover pipe, and made a gasket at the valve and intake manifold made from a cut up aluminum can. I always ran 93 octane so you might need to step up to 89 octane if you get some pinging. I removed the egr tube as well.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I run 87 with no EGR and no problems in my '88. It returns 28 mpg from a full tank at mostly 80 mph. I could probably get 30 mpg if I could keep my sanity at 55 mph long enough to burn a whole tank.
kippo

Post by kippo »

I hooked it back up for now. Found busted connector on my temp sending unit. That may be the reason the temp gauge was pegging out.

Almost ready to start her up. A few pig tails to replace and bleed brakes and the clutch. Hopefully that will go smoothly.

Found a couple of wires under dash on passenger side that were diked. I called the previous owner to inquire and was told they wired a amp in there. I'll post a photo of that tomorrow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Crimp uninsulated butt slices and shrink tube