Streets of Willow

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

aaron wrote:The last one you suggested was to port all of the drain back holes. Now you did this, a lot too. Do you remember me voicing my concerns about doing this without extra oil capacity? Well I did, and you pretty much called me a fucking idiot. Well my reasoning was this. The DOHC has a HUGE pump, for a reason. To keep the massive and complex valvetrain lubricated at high RPMs. Now my opinion on it was that they looked at the heads, added a huge pump, and essentially forgot about the lower end, when they should have added an extra quart capacity. In taking care of the bearings, I told you I think you will be risking the cams/lifters/valvetrain by porting the drainbacks. Problem is, at continuous high RPM, now you have so much flow back to the pan, that the heads are getting starved. Basically, oil is flowing back down much faster than it is getting pumped up. I honestly think you may be running into this problem. Lifter tick is semi-normal on high mileage 3.4s after a hard run. Mine used to do it very slightly after a run to 100+ shifting after 7, but it was still quiet and went right away. Your's sounds a lot more serious, if it is that loud.
Aaron, this is ridiculous. The lifters are fed by a pressurized gallery. Drain back only affects the lifters if the oil pump is starved and there isn't any oil because there's not enough drain back. Too much drain back never hurt anything.

Don't you want to go to dry sump system on your imaginary engine? That's the ultimate in drainback.
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

I would do that rather then doing a 20W50.

Series8217 wrote:I'll get a decent 0W-35 or 0W-40 synthetic next time I change it.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

allWorkNoPlay wrote:I would do that rather then doing a 20W50.

Series8217 wrote:I'll get a decent 0W-35 or 0W-40 synthetic next time I change it.

Yeah, Shaun needs read up on oil viscosities. 20W50 is honey thick when cold. Its going to be bad enough that it causes significantly more startup wear because your oil can barely pump it. Keep in mind that oil pressure does not equate to flow. You have thicker oil you have more oil pressure... because there is resistance to flow. 0W is still too thick when cold, so there's really no hurt in using it unless you don't want to run a synthetic (you can't get a regular 0W oil as far as I know; just synthetics).

Howard posted a great link to some oil info last week:
http://members.rennlist.com/oil/Motor%20Oil%20101.htm
Its a long read but worth it.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Don't you want to go to dry sump system on your imaginary engine? That's the ultimate in drainback.
Eventually I'd like to, but not initially.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I'll have some track footage in a few days. My dad put the digicam software and cable in the mail today.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I really like that third picture!

As for your car, that is the last thing I'd expect to see walking a LS1 Camaro down the straits and through the turns. You've got sleeper to a science.

After looking at the first pic, I'd like my car about a half inch lower than what your's is, but I will have bigger wheels so it may be decieving.

I can't wait to see videos!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

aaron wrote:As for your car, that is the last thing I'd expect to see walking a LS1 Camaro down the straits and through the turns. You've got sleeper to a science.
It was an LT1. But keep in mind I was in the n00b group and the girl driving the Z28 was a n00b too.. so with equal drivers I dunno what it'd be like.
After looking at the first pic, I'd like my car about a half inch lower than what your's is, but I will have bigger wheels so it may be decieving.
Absolutely. I think my front end is about a half inch too high also. I'm going to chop another half coil off the front springs when I go up there to fix my steering rack bushing.