Stronger front 88 bearing/hub options

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Stronger front 88 bearing/hub options

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

OBTW: http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/0 ... .html#p261

Coleman may have had the dimensions on hand from his inquiry.
draven

Post by draven »

grinding off the driver side steering mount today to prep for building a mount for the corvette rack.. I'll snag some pics
draven

Post by draven »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 pm OBTW: http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/ ... .html#p261

Coleman may have had the dimensions on hand from his inquiry.
yes.. the engineer at coleman stated that they got the idea and the dimensions from a fiero owner but it fell through and the requester never followed up....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

draven wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 pm the requester never followed up....
Shocking.
draven

Post by draven »

Ok.. other than my pre 88 fiero's I've owned in the past I've only dealt with unit bearings.... bearings on a spindle are supposed to be a 'slip-fit' correct?

I was trying to get you guys some pics and the bearings would barely fit on for the first mm or so then the inner race would bind?

Or would these need me to press them on?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

All the ones I've ever seen have been slip fit. Contact Coleman to verify whether they intended slip fit or press fit.
draven

Post by draven »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:33 pm All the ones I've ever seen have been slip fit. Contact Coleman to verify whether they intended slip fit or press fit.
Yeah… after a second look.. these are like trailer spindle bearings and hubs and should be a slip fit.... you have to mount the inner bearing inside the hub before you install the seal... probably just a few thousandths off...
draven

Post by draven »

Sent the spindles back to coleman today hopefully I'll be getting the newly machined ones back soon...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That should be simple enough...
draven

Post by draven »

Spoke with Coleman as they already received and had the spindles reworked and ready for shipment.

1st Have any of you had problems with UPS lately.. I packed the hell out of the spindles in the shipping box but they arrived at coleman with 'zero' packaging, event took pics of the packing, and quite dinged up, so much so they had to rechase the hub threads....

2nd the hubs were .005 too large on both journals.

reworked spindles are due back to me by Tuesday
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Federal agents might have gone through the package
draven

Post by draven »

ok got the updated spindles back... Coleman forgot to send the new outer bearings so waiting a couple of day for those, however, the inner (larger) bearings still are quite difficult to get on the journal and haven't applied any force to get them on by themselves for fear of needing a bearing puller to remove them. The are supposed to be a tight slip fit but wow...

What tolerance should exist in a slip fit between a hardened steel journal and bearing?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Post up some pics if you can
draven

Post by draven »

Pics

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

When I was working with Street Dreams to develop their aluminum knuckles & hubs, I mic'd a 3rd Gen F-body spindle (or maybe it was a G-Body?) and compared those dimensions to Timken's recommendations and bearing bore size. Those spindles are a snug slip fit and the bearings only go on straight. I'll see if I can get some measurements this weekend to help you out with what the fit should be.

I would think that Coleman would have this sort of stuff wired, but maybe they haven't worked with this particular bearing before.

"Be brilliant at the basics" continues to be the best leadership advice ever.

ETA: Looks flipping great! Now I want '84-'87 spindles using those hubs!

ETA2: What is the diametral profile of the central protrusion like? How far out from the hub face is it straight before it starts to taper?
draven

Post by draven »

Spoke to Coleman again about it and they sent me pics of the spindles with the inner bearings on... It is a snug slip fit and some tap and rotate 90deg and repeat may be necessary.

I'll get some more pics up....

once this is all straigtened out with the hubs I'll be tackling the corvette rack adapters and C5/C6 caliper adapters... I've been using eMachineShop's free cad software to design the inner tie rod extensions. Currently piecing together some 'prototype' adapters from large threaded rod and some brass male to female threaded adapters just for functional testing. I'll need some eyeballs on the eMachineShop CAD drawings if you don't mind... Furthermore, if you could recommend another online shop please do so....

Adapter render:

Last edited by draven on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Damn looks good
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

draven wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:47 pm Spoke to Coleman again about it and they sent me pics of the spindles with the inner bearings on... It is a snug slip fit and some tap and rotate 90deg and repeat may be necessary.

I'll get some more pics up....

once this is all straigtened out with the hubs I'll be tackling the corvette rack adapters and C5/C6 caliper adapters... I've been using eMachineShop's free cad software to design the inner tie rod extensions. Currently piecing together some 'prototype' adapters from large threaded rod and some brass male to female threaded adapters just for functional testing. I'll need some eyeballs on the eMachineShop CAD drawings if you don't mind... Furthermore, if you could recommend another online shop please do so....

Adapter render:

Image broken for me
draven

Post by draven »

Pic 'should' be fixed... refresh your browser and let me know if you can't see it..
draven

Post by draven »

FYI, still here.. all bearing/spindle/hub pieces are in....just been working on the Corvette Rack driver side bracket...about to start welding for the first time in oh.....1 maybe 2 decades.. :) pics to come...