Stronger front 88 bearing/hub options

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Stronger front 88 bearing/hub options

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

All the press/slip fit problems fixed?
draven

Post by draven »

Out of state family issues have been keeping me from getting back to this... Have all the new bearing hub parts in but a little reluctant press the bearings onto the snout as they are a slight press fit and would require the seal to be put into the back of the hub and don't want to have to use a bearing puller to get them back off just for a test fit..

I did finish up my single one piece corvette steering rack adapter from a 3" square tubing 2.5 ID. All one piece and all I needed was an angle grinder, angle finder and contour gauge to create and not 4 separate plates welded together... overkill with the 1/4" thickness and will have to chamfer the mating point to the crossmember.. but it was relatively easy to fabricate.. pics and new post to come...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Draven. You see what that fieroline race team is using as front bearings? Not sure what year car they have. Pics were on their photobucket but they didnt appear factory and had acad model drawn up
draven

Post by draven »

Link?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

draven

Post by draven »

It's on an 86 I think.... the hubs look a lot like some of the trailer hubs that WCF was thinking about adapting for the 88 but not sure 'why' they are looking to create new front bearings for the pre 88s as those are already a spindle setup unless its to separate the rotor from the hub bearing for brake caliper reasons perhaps?

After reading through their thread I'm a little perplexed why they haven't gone with the 2025K jbody bearings for the rear with the 1/4" spacer like the yahoo fiero racing list did almost 2 decades ago..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

draven wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:37 pm It's on an 86 I think.... the hubs look a lot like some of the trailer hubs that WCF was thinking about adapting for the 88 but not sure 'why' they are looking to create new front bearings for the pre 88s as those are already a spindle setup unless its to separate the rotor from the hub bearing for brake caliper reasons perhaps?

After reading through their thread I'm a little perplexed why they haven't gone with the 2025K jbody bearings for the rear with the 1/4" spacer like the yahoo fiero racing list did almost 2 decades ago..
Hub failure:
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/the ... nBn/?ref=1

AND

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/the ... nBn/?ref=1

Also: Save weight, multiple bolt circles, don't have to modify a new part before it can be used.
I need to update my design for the Street Dreams hubs to look more like theirs.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Oh yeah, I finally measured my Street Dreams spindles and bearings.
The spindle is 1.2475-1.2476.
The bearing cone bore is 1.2503.
The clearance is 0.0028.

Might double check that against Timken's recommendations. The bearings are from a '92 Camaro Z28, although I don't remember Timken's SET numbers right now.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Coleman's typical custom spindle:

and their order form that has better pics:

http://www.colemanracing.com/Assets/fil ... _Chart.pdf

Now I want to get them to make an '88 front knuckle that accepts C6 Corvette front hubs.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Here comes trouble...
CMM data on '88 knuckle, imported into OnShape

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

oh hell yeah! but don't you have enough on your plate? (as I continue researching quadrasteer! :crazy: )
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Code: Select all

while HeartBeat()
	if NumProjects < 2147483647
	then NumProjects++
end while

draven

Post by draven »

How about you dequeue the front hub project and push queue the rear upright project to the top? :D
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

LOL... Well now that I have the data, it's not going anywhere (Famous last words).

Yeah, I am looking at getting the rear hub carriers built up. The fabricated assembly lives in my head and I need to get it modeled before it splits my cranium open in the middle of the night.

A big piece of that is getting the parking brake figured out. I'm taking web development classes ( NumProjects++ ) on Saturdays for the next several weeks so I don't have as much weekend time to do all this stuff as I otherwise might. Not that I have a lot of time to do all this stuff...

Also have 1.5 weeks of Navy duty coming up at the end of March.
draven

Post by draven »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:08 am LOL... Well now that I have the data, it's not going anywhere (Famous last words).

Yeah, I am looking at getting the rear hub carriers built up. The fabricated assembly lives in my head and I need to get it modeled before it splits my cranium open in the middle of the night.

A big piece of that is getting the parking brake figured out. I'm taking web development classes ( NumProjects++ ) on Saturdays for the next several weeks so I don't have as much weekend time to do all this stuff as I otherwise might. Not that I have a lot of time to do all this stuff...

Also have 1.5 weeks of Navy duty coming up at the end of March.
NumProjects++ haha!

Are you looking to implement a parking brake to be an integrated drum like the C5/C6 setup, integrated into the caliper, or a secondary e-brake only caliper.

Since I'm going C5/C6 front calipers on all four corners I've been looking at secondary e-brake calipers. IPSC makes an adequate one but it's finicky. per the Factory Five guys.... wilwood and revolution make nicer units but neither go to the 1.25" thickness of the C5/C6 front rotors. The revolution looks to be capable in expanding the caliper shim but haven't spoken to the owners yet..
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Funny you should ask about parking brakes...

BMW E30's have drum-in-hat P-Brakes with 6.30" drum ID. This is small enough to get inside the Wilwood 12.2x1.25" Ultralight 32 rotor that costs $85.
I think the E30 parking brake will work out great with a 1/4" backing plate between the hub cartridge and the existing upright. I'll have Coleman make the custom hats required.

To test that, I'll have to pull the uprights out of the car and modify them for "bolt from the back" wheel bearings designed for aluminum knuckles. This is just spot facing the bolt bosses and drilling out the threads, though. After that, I can install 33 spline outer CV joints and 5x115 W-body wheel bearings to keep my current bolt pattern adapters. Once I verify that the 33 spline C6 ZO6 bearings will bolt right in place of the W-body bearings, then I can mount the Corvette wheels without adapters, although I'll have to do some other trickery to make camber work out.

Pics of parking brake: http://www.realfierotech.com/viewtopic. ... 98#p157398
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

draven wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:13 am How about you dequeue the front hub project and push queue the rear upright project to the top? :D
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:18 pm
https://www.wilwood.com/Hats/HatProd?itemno=170-9599 (Mitsu Evo VII; 6.61 shoe ID)

OOOOHHHH, Pay Dirt! The Evo VII never made it to the US, but the '02 Mitsu Diamanate uses a monolithic P-Brake that looks like the little brother of the larger unit GM used with the C7 bearing.

Gotta get a set of these on order and then see what I can find for the expander... if I'm stupidly lucky, I can use the GM expanders, which would be AWESOME!

ETA: Looks like the expander is integral with the backing plate: https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.co ... brake-scat
So I *hope* I can use the GM expander... otherwise I'll have to get way too creative building something.

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:56 pm I probably won't be there this weekend to play with it, but the Mitsubishi brake shoes arrived. I had my dad check them vs. the C7 wheel bearing, and they just barely don't fit. I'm not above modifying parking brake shoes a tiny bit to fit. Also, it *looks* like the GM expander will work with the Mitsubishi shoes, just from holding the Mitsu shoe up next to the GM assembly.

Parking brake may be solved!

WOOOOOT! :Yahoo!:
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 am

while HeartBeat
	then NumProjects++
end while
Projects > heartbeats.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Initial stab at the fabbed knuckle design... lots of stuff to figure out yet, though.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Emc209i wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:20 pm
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 am

while HeartBeat
	then NumProjects++
end while
Projects > heartbeats.