the pig rig?

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: the pig rig?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What did you hit the scoring with? It doesn't clean up with 2000 grit sand paper?

I would have said having the crank ground would be preferrable. As you noted, buying a replacement crank runs the risk of getting one not balanced for the application--ie, a 305 crank.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'll try some 2000 grit, but I don't think it will be saveable without grinding, the defect is deep enough to grab a fingernail hard. I might give it another go, but I don't think it will come out. you bring up a very good point, I didn't even think about the fact that a 305 and 350 use the same crank.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If it's a deep scratch, you won't be able to polish it out with 2000 grit, BUT as long as it's entirely below the surface the bearings see... what's the problem? At that point it's just an oil reservoir.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

it will mean a higher load on the oil film, but for this engine, probably not a big deal, this isn't exactly a high HP hi RPM engine...I'll work at it for a spell tomorrow when I get off work.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Slapped some paint on the front drive brackets, far from good, but good from afar... lol.
paint.jpg
paint.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
Cleaned all the block gaskets mating surfaces.
rail.jpg
rail.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
some jackass stamped letters all over the oil pan rail, right where the gasket goes :crazy: %) I'm just going to apply a thin bead of RTV around the pan to ensure it seals.
letter.jpg
letter.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
surface.jpg
surface.jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
surface2.jpg
surface2.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Bead blast in a can... lol.
blast.jpg
blast.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
short block is back together, I ended up picking up a replacement crank, shooting from the hip and hoping it doesn't try and rattle to pieces.... lol..
short.jpg
short.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
short 2.jpg
short 2.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
when I remove the intake, the oil pressure switch snapped off, I thought for sure I was screwed.
opsu.jpg
opsu.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
picked up a set of "easy-outs", knowing that they're never easy, and well, it actually went pretty easy...
easy.jpg
easy.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
easy2.jpg
easy2.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
easy3.jpg
easy3.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That style of easy out has a slightly better success rate than the square/straight style. That also looks like brass, so less likely to be seized in place in an iron block than a steel fitting would be. Use teflon tape on the replacement for future ease of removal.

I've had good success with Grab-Bits.

You could have pushed the pistons out to the deck to make installing the crank easier. Also slip some short pieces of hose over the rod bolts to protect the journals during installation.

I see you tacked the pickup tube in place as well.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 am That style of easy out has a slightly better success rate than the square/straight style. That also looks like brass, so less likely to be seized in place in an iron block and a steel fitting would be. Use teflon tape on the replacement for future ease of removal.

I've had good success with Grab-Bits.

You could have pushed the pistons out to the deck to make installing the crank easier. Also slip some short pieces of hose over the rod bolts to protect the journals during installation.

I see you tacked the pickup tube in place as well.
have never had any success with any form of "easy-out" before this. I've seen them break on a regular basis though, and when they do, it's a huge PITA. the pistons were moved back and forth quite a bit during assembly, I think it probably would have been easier, and safe to just pull the heads and take the pistons all the way out, but it's in the past now. I actually didn't tack the pump pickup in place, if I had done it, the welds would have been less shitty... lol.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

things are slowly coming together, it's going to look nice when I put it back in, and at this point, the only thing holding it back is the flywheel bolts, one of them didn't want to play nice coming out, so it has to be replaced... the air tube cleaned up nice, I'm surprised to see GM used stainless for it...

paint.jpg
paint.jpg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 14057 times
air.jpg
air.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 14057 times
I picked up a set of "flat-top" knuckles from a D44 axle. they fit the 10 bolt and allow me to bolt a steering arm to the passenger side knuckle for the drag link to attach, so I can run crossover steering and improve steering under articulation.
flat.jpg
flat.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 14057 times
flat2.jpg
flat2.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 14057 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:34 am things are slowly coming together, it's going to look nice when I put it back in,
It's great when an engine comes back together! :-D
ericjon262 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:34 am and at this point, the only thing holding it back is the flywheel bolts, one of them didn't want to play nice coming out, so it has to be replaced...
ARP! :twisted:
ericjon262 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:34 am the air tube cleaned up nice, I'm surprised to see GM used stainless for it...
It's an emissions component; I've always @$$umed EPA had some emissions warranty or durability requirements that drove material selection in some of the less likely applications for stainless.
ericjon262 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:34 am I picked up a set of "flat-top" knuckles from a D44 axle. they fit the 10 bolt and allow me to bolt a steering arm to the passenger side knuckle for the drag link to attach, so I can run crossover steering and improve steering under articulation.
Snazzy. I guess there are only so many ways to skin a cat.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the knuckles are factory parts from an early model D44 axle, they make aftermarket ones for about $300 a side, I paid $150 for both.

as for the flywheel bolts, I'm going to go with whatever I can get tomorrow afternoon. this engine will make a whopping 300 ft lbs of torque if I'm lucky, the flywheel bolts breaking aren't really high on my list of worries.

the exhaust up to and including the cat converter is also EPA regulated, and it's under more stress, and not stainless.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

GM uses 409 stainless because it's cheap. It's just not as stainless as 304, 316 or 321. It ends up getting rust covered but doesn't rust through... The Fiero exhaust for example.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

There wasn't a spec of rust on them, just greasy buildup from years of oil leaks and what not.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

On the cats, you mean? Sounds like stainless to me :P
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Nah, on th tubes, technically the suburban doesn't have a cat, it has a 3 way catalyst. But the 409 typically gets a little surface rust and starts to look crappy. These tubes look brand new, I think they might be 304, but it doesn't really matter.

I'm hoping to have a the engine ready to go in by close of business today, (25MAR) so I can get it back in the truck tomorrow. I am still trying to decide whether or not to spring for some poly engine mounts. The parts store replacements look real cheap compared to the stockers.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

not really much to report. I'm hoping to have the engine back in by the end of the weekend. I removed the brackets for the quadshocks, and threw a little paint on the firewall, it looks way better in person, the rough top edge is GM's black seam sealer...
quad.jpg
quad.jpg (117.02 KiB) Viewed 14033 times

I also did an inspection of the wiring harness, and found a few things that I didn't like...

The PO seemed to think of this as a "Fix",I cut the damage out, crimped a splice, and heat shrunk the affected wires.
wire.jpg
wire.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
wire2.jpg
wire2.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
then I found some abrasion damage on the TPS 5v ref,again, I cut out the damage, and spliced in new wire.
wire3.jpg
wire3.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
wire4.jpg
wire4.jpg (74.55 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
I also found out the motor mounts I bought shortly after buying this truck, are not the right mounts, at all, and of coarse I don't have the boxes or receipts either... DOH. I also have heard plenty of stories of parts store mounts lasting a few weeks before failing, so maybe it's for the better, because I just ordered a set of poly engine and trans mounts.

The EGR solenoid that was on the truck had failed, and been plugged by the previous owner, so I also ordered a new on as well, hopefully it will clear the CEL that was in.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Here's a better shot of the wiring I had to repair...
wire5.jpg
wire5.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
I replaced the engine mount inserts. the old mounts fell apart bad. I wanted to use rubber to reduce NVH, but I couldn't find a rubber mount I liked.
1.jpg
1.jpg (54.09 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
The engine is ready to go in the truck, I have a few parts on order that are holding the process up though.
1.jpg
1.jpg (92.5 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (104.32 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I pulled the steering shaft and gearbox, remember in the last post, I said parts were holding me back? well, I ordered a Jeep XJ steering shaft, it uses universal joints instead of a rag joint, and is supposed to be a damn near bolt in swap. supposedly is makes a huge difference in the steering of the truck.
1.jpg
1.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (126.48 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 14027 times

With the exception of the Y pipe, the exhaust is/was trash, I'll have to throw a new one together from the Y pipe back.
1.jpg
1.jpg (78.72 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (158.46 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (113.55 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (137.56 KiB) Viewed 14027 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

409 Stainless :P

ETA: Interesting info on the steering shaft... I'd like that for my dad's truck if it works for you.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

seems pretty straightforward,

https://youtu.be/H9C4RdvjPNQ

The shafts can be had new:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_0026_07.htm

hopefully everything will be here by Thursday.