High Feature V6 Swap

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

Re: High Feature V6 Swap

Post by ericjon262 »

draven wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:40 pm Lf4/lf3 integrated AW intake.. It's not ideal with the two side entries but it is very compact and fits nicely into the decklid center cavity with no need for a scoop for clearance or a separate core mounting location.

The lf4 vacuum block with wg/bov solenoids add too much height, and although the lf3 setup is remote in the bay i can't find one for a decent boneyard price so im going to rework an lf4 setup.
gotcha, I'm looking at options for a similar design for my car, I think my best option at the moment is something like an LSA IC, or something completely custom.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
draven

Post by draven »

Another step closer... 321 Sch10 pipe, with double slip fits feeding into dual scroll T4 collector to the EFR 8374

This was not my work, Chuck Beaverton Motorsports out of FL. He usually does Saab LP9 header, exhaust, turbo upgrades so this wasn't too much of a stretch for him to crank out with all the right measurements.

Going to have him rework the cast stainless OEM charge pipe manifolds to the AWIC as well as a GESI/Vibrant cat / expansion chamber downpipe.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

FYI, Stainless grows and moves a metric shit-ton when you weld it, be careful, something that fits now, might not when you take it off!

Edit: Nevermind, I see you bought the up pipes....
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Damn, that's a nice setup.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

How does the wastegate work? We see one flapper; does it block two passages, one from each scroll?

Or, is the wastegate flow from both scrolls combined, and then the combined passage is blocked? This would allow both sides to communicate with each other.

That's a very nice-looking turbine housing. I had problems with wastegate flow on my project; this one looks great.

Do slip-joints not leak, considering the pressure buildup before the turbine?
draven

Post by draven »

pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm How does the wastegate work? We see one flapper; does it block two passages, one from each scroll?

Or, is the wastegate flow from both scrolls combined, and then the combined passage is blocked? This would allow both sides to communicate with each other.

That's a very nice-looking turbine housing. I had problems with wastegate flow on my project; this one looks great.

Do slip-joints not leak, considering the pressure buildup before the turbine?
Wastegate blocks two passages.

The double slip joints will leak a minuscule amount on start up but once warm they seal and still give flex for thermal expansion. The builder is moving away from using SS Bellows as the repeated heat cycles lead to premature cracking and leaking.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

The slips are cool stuff.
draven

Post by draven »

The bad news is that I'm going to have to flip the IC 180deg back to the original XTS layout as the IC water inlet/outlets interfere with the passenger decklid brace. Both with oe inlets and the shortened weaponXmotorsports shortened one as well... Going to have a very crowded turbo, HPFP, fuel line, IC hoses area...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

"The automotive problem is fundamentally one of packaging"

We may be able to help out with suggestions if you post pics before committing to a particular hardware configuration.
draven

Post by draven »

The first pic has the AW IC Core with the WeaponXMotorsports shortened Water inlet/outlets. The OEM inlet/out is sitting on top of the core.

The second pic is the fiero hinge with the white mark illustrating where the hinge contacts the inlet/outlet manifold right at the mating area between the black manifold and NPT to AN adapter.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What size NPT?

Can you make your own flanges to bolt to the IC casting, then tap them NPT and install either a street Ell or a NPT to AN 90?

Either

OR

Or a combination, like the fixed Ells in the forward positions on each bank and the swivels in the rear positions
draven

Post by draven »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:34 pm What size NPT?

Can you make your own flanges to bolt to the IC casting, then tap them NPT and install either a street Ell or a NPT to AN 90?
No don't have that level of knowledge or machinery on hand. Furthermore, the two inlets per manifold are separated, i.e. one hot one cold and the IC core has aluminum tubes protruding into the manifolds with O-rings sealing them up. Not to mention another gasket ring machined into the manifolds, which is a copy of the OE manifold at the mating point.

I'm already considering the 90deg NPT to AN adapters (a combination of fixed and swivel adapters) when I reverse the manifold back to XTS style. Unfortunately the PS decklid brace, due to my decision to offset the engine/F40 combo 2" to the PS to keep OE axles, sits right in the pocket between the edge of the IC core and the valve cover timing area taking up all available room even if I did machine a super set of compact manifolds.

Hi-temp materials, turbine blanket, and heat shielding will definitely be in order. I can also duct excess air from the driver side quarter scoop into the area as well as install a fan in the driver side decklid vent.
draven

Post by draven »

Down pipe with expansion chamber and 750hp gesi cat built and temp mounted and camaro lpfp fuel feed line cut and re-tig'd 180deg. New IC manifolds fabbed and test fit with the rear needing modification to clear firewall glass/shelf. Pics to come...

However, my question for you guys is to cross over or not to cross over the coolant pipes to a new griffin radiator?

As we know coolant flow is reversed on the HFV6 layout. If I get a griffin radiator to match the flow of the engine I lose the stock fiero overflow tank but utilizing a griffin that would allow the retention of the overflow would mean crossing the coolant pipes.

What are the cons of crossing the coolant pipes like bmw guru did on his lp9 swap?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Yhe only con I see is having to plan, devise, and build the system. The coolant doesnt know its crossing under the car. It doesnt care.

Its additional work if thats how you want to do it. Other than that I cant see how it would cause any issues
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I can't keep track of everyone's different username at the two forums, but Daryl M is also at that stage of his build.
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/142132-13.html

Soooooo... from building the plumbing for my oil/water heat exchanger, I can tell you that building tightly packaged plumbing is a pain in the ass, and everything in the Fiero engine bay is tightly packaged.

The Northstar has both coolant connections at the flywheel end of the engine. Similar to the way the 2.8 has both connections at the pulley end, this requires one line to cross the engine bay. I installed my oil/water HEX just forward of the forward cradle crossmember, about where the Fiero OE catalyst is mounted. For the Northstar swap, the forward cradle crossmember already has to be moved forward 5-6 inches, so there's already less space than there was originally. So I have a 3" diameter tube/shell heat exchanger clamped to the cradle crossmember with -12 oil lines coming out the side of it that needed to wrap over the top to go to the Northstar oil filter adapter on the front face of the engine, AND an assembly of silicone and steel tubing bends to go up to the Northstar coolant connection, AND the other coolant connection going down to the coolant pipe AND the air conditioning lines going through the same space just a couple inches away...

You'd have to run TWO coolant lines across the cradle and include an oil/water heat exchanger, if you need one, and build the A/C lines AND run your intercooler water lines...

I think your life would be much simpler and the car would be on the road faster if you swapped the radiator connections.

Per the Old Europe thread, apparently some of my concerns about bleeding and air accumulation are unfounded.
draven

Post by draven »

I'm msweldon on Old Europe.

I'm only considering crossing my coolant lines in the front compartment.

The coolant lines out of the engine will stay on their respective sides to their corresponding coolant pipe to the front, hot side on PS, cold side on DS while capping off the 88 heater return port on the DS coolant pipe and using pre88 heater lines plumbed into the OEM lfx/lf3/lf4 heater feed and return ports out of the tstat housing.

Planning on attaching a fill port with lower psi tstat onto tstat housing, like Will's north star setup to aid in burping with maybe a second overflow smaller tank as well.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

While there are a few fabric/silicone caps that can withstand the temperature and pressure of a cooling system, I advise cutting the '88 heater connection off the main coolant pipe and welding on a patch for peace of mind.

Don't use a basic rubber heater cap... they don't last.
draven

Post by draven »

Shifter paint and rebuilt with Dickman's kit and FieroGuru's F40 reverse lockout:

MACE Eng. Larger lobe HPFP fuel cam (30% more fuel) and 90lb valve springs with titanium retainers (should safely support 7200-7500rpm rev limit)

3.5" downpipe with expansion chamber and GESI 750hp CAT, borla crossflow modified to 3.5" inlet and IC intake manifold... front IC manifold is getting reworked slightly to properly clearance firewall glass shelf. Borla cross flow will have to be notched on passenger side so it be can rotated and the PS outlet fit right into the PS cradle exhaust cutout...

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The IC inlet flange used to be straight and you had to build that setup to fit it in the Fiero?

Also looks like you could shorten the slip-fit connection at the muffler to move it to the left a couple of inches. That might be an easier path instead of sectioning the muffler.

Looking good!
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

Is that muffler slip-fit going to remain a slip-fit, or will it be welded?

With the muffler and tailpipes all welded up, it would be a lot of piping to be hung off the turbine housing!