digital dash options?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

digital dash options?

Post by ericjon262 »

anyone running a digital dash? I'm looking into several options, including installing a tablet in the dash and using that for instrumentation, but haven't really heard anything on the reliability or lag issues.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Indy

Re: digital dash options?

Post by Indy »

What ECM are you running? The number of dashes with fairly good CANBus support is increasing every year. The Racepak IQ dashes are a good option, AEM has a good dashboard out...There are lots of options out there but compatibility with the digital communication protocols is extremely mixed.

I'm currently leaning towards combining the AEM CD7 dash with an MS3 Pro.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Currently an MS3x, I may swap over to an MS3 pro after I get this thing on the road.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Indy

Post by Indy »

Perfect. Both of the dashes mentioned above are known to have excellent compatibility with the MS3.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm also looking into a more DIY option, a guy on one of the MS pages mentioned using a Raspberry Pi and a 7" touchscreen to run tunerstudio, he offered a setup for $255 that included the Raspberry pi, the screen, a mini keyboard, and a the stuff to hook it up, I like it, but I want to take measurements on the car and see exactly how it will fit in the dash. it does offer a much higher level of customization compared to the some of the other options, and because it's running tunerstudio, I should be able to update the tune more or less on the fly.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I find configurable digital dashes very interesting. I'm interested in a mix/match, plug/chug style instrumentation and data acquisition system.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm really liking the raspberry pi option more and more. there's. really only one thing I don't like about the PI, I don't like the idea of using USB ports or other non positively retained wiring connections, that are also hard mounted to the board without any way to isolate them from vibration. I feel like they could cause a solder joint to fail, and cause a loss of instrumentation.
Indy

Post by Indy »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:51 am I find configurable digital dashes very interesting. I'm interested in a mix/match, plug/chug style instrumentation and data acquisition system.
CANBus compatibility seems to be growing pretty rapidly, even 3-4 years ago cross-compatibility of equipment was a nightmare. I think companies are starting to figure out that proprietary CAN protocols that won't play nicely with other boxes on the bus is a liability, as most builders aren't afraid to step out of a given product line to try something else that might work better.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

A dream come true would be buying any product from any vendor, just hooking it up to the bus, being able to log all its parameters with another vendor's DAQ and conduct diagnostics for any module in the car from one port using yet another vendor's diagnostic tool