FRECNDY
or
BUG OUT
or the new entry
BOOGALU
-with a nod to black-face Ralphie

Here it is getting on the trailer in Tucson:

In my dad's driveway in VA:

It didn't want to start coming off the trailer, but I found it has an immobilizer that was somehow activated during transport. I figured out how to deactivate it, although I haven't removed it yet. Once it would start, I turned it around to start getting work done on it.

BEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKEEEEEE!

Here's the bulkhead. The rig came with two fire extinguishers, a hose reel, a small exhaust pipe going through the floor and a fuel tank. I guess whatever line of business it was formerly used in required an engine driven air compressor, hence the fuel, exhaust and 12V wiring everywhere.

Only the plastic parts are smashed

Here's where the compressor was in the auction photos

After some work, I got my seat range of motion back.

That thing is rather heavy (the bulkhead more than the cat, but the cat's kinda chunky too)

The van is a 2006 Express 3500 Extended Diesel with sliding door. Add all those up and it becomes a unicorn.
2006 was the first year for the Duramax in the GMT610 platform (Chevy Express & GMC Savana vans)
All calendar 2007 production was required to have the DPF, which hurts fuel economy. Since *RANGE* is the primary defining characteristic of a bug-out rig, I had to have a pre-DPF rig. This narrowed my selection to 2006 Diesel production only.
Within the set of 2006 diesel van production, a 3500 Extended van is on the rare side, but not unicorn status.
However, when you add the sliding door into the list of requirements, that specific configuration does become a bit of a unicorn.

Platform stats:
Wheelbase: 155" (135" is standard length)
OAL: 244"
GVW: 9600
Empty weight: TBD
GCW: 17000 without load distributing hitch, 18000 with.
Max trailer weight: 10,000

Frankly, I don't understand why people would pick the hinged side doors over the sliding door. The hinged side doors don't open far enough to have the full width of the body opening available to ingress/egress, as well as requiring a good bit of real estate to the side of the vehicle in order to use them. The sliding door is much better in both regards. On the current model configurator on the Chevy website, the sliding door is only about a $200 option. I don't understand why it's not WAY more common.

Following the van's basic configuration being a unicorn, this particular van is:
-Low mileage at 137k, while most diesel work vans are in the 250k range by the time they hit eBay
-Straight; most work vans get external hasps to lock the doors with a padlock and the bodies get beat up over time from being treated like work trucks. This rig has only one dent, and that's on the left front fender, which has no impact on the function of the doors or weatherstripping.
-Rust free, having spent its working life in AZ

The only option it's missing that I really wish it had is cruise control.

Plans:
-Empty it: As noted, I already pulled out the bulkhead. The shelving will follow. The current shelving prevents laying 4x8 plywood or drywall flat. I'll end up with shelves that will allow 4x8 payloads. Basically, I'll rip everything out and start over.

-Fuel and Spare tires: Remember the primary characteristic of a bug out rig is RANGE. The full body vans are available in 135 and 155 inch wheel base options and all have 30 gallon tanks inside the frame rails, with the spare under the body behind the rear axle. The cutaway chassis have 159 and 177" wheelbase options. Those chassis also have an optional 55 gallon tank that fit behind the rear axle. So in this van I'll remove the spare and mounting hardware and install the 55 gallon tank where the spare was. I have multiple options to carry a spare, of which the current front runner is dual spares carried internally. Yeah, I'm aware I could carry six spares on the roof, but that's kind of attention-getting.

-Hitch: I'm surprised it didn't come with a hitch, but whoever ordered it was definitely trying to keep it cheap while still fulfilling some must have requirements similar to mine. E-Trailer has a Class V hitch for it... I'll snag that before too long.

-"Crew Van": This is similar to GM's current "5 passenger seating" option for work vans. GM's option requires full body glass and a full interior, thus turning a work van into a passenger van with some seats left out. That's not quite what I want. I want the first bench seat and body glass installed in the forward section of the cargo area. I want to keep the rear section of the cargo area paneled. That means that I can install a seat and a windowed sliding door to be 2/3 of the way there. I'll have to consult with body shops to figure out how hard installing the forward bank of windows in a panel body would be. There are 5 vertical structural members there. Members 2 & 4 need to be replaced with shorter ones and window sill structure installed, in addition to cutting holes for the windows and then doing sheet metal work to profile those edges to accept GM's windows.

As mentioned, I'll swap the panel door for a windowed door. I also want to change the color to green. Green vehicles get the fewest tickets. Green is also the color that's the best compromise between urban and rural camouflage on the east coast. Green was also the LOWEST production of any color GM painted a van. I've found a green windowed sliding door, but it's a full day road trip distance away. I don't trust a junk yard to ship it, so I'm thinking I'll drive out there, swap the doors and leave my current door there.

I'll also snag any other serviceable green body parts they have. The more green I can bolt on, the less green I have to pay a body shop to change over from white.

-Other: Fuel economy tune, maybe a couple of Titan transfer tanks, shelving that doesn't interfere with 4'x8' cargo, front and rear high current electrical sockets for winches or jumper cables, engine driven air compressor (bolts on to Duramax!)... and other stuff as I see fit.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Will's Bug Out Rig: Duramax Van

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

License plate suggestion.

free cndy
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:50 pm License plate suggestion.

free cndy
That's too many characters for a VA plate, but I can do
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 am
FRECNDY
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

LOL!
So after re-spotting it to load the removed bulkhead into the back to transport to a junk yard, the ignition lock BROKE and I couldn't shut it off. I had to take the lower cover panel off the dash and shroud off the steering column to be able to access the ignition switch electrical connector and unplug it.

The lock cylinder and housing are both available from the aftermarket as well as GM. The multi-function switch that covers turn signals, hazards, wipers, washers and cruise control is also available aftermarket, although we can't tell from the parts catalog which GM part number has cruise.

However, thanks to MattyB for the help, it looks like all I'll have to do to have cruise control is just install the right multi-function switch. Sweeeeeet! The body-side cruise switch connector is right there, ziptied to the side of the steering column.

The lock housings and multi-function switches are specific to the vans and are NOT shared with trucks... at least per RockAuto

The shifter mechanism *IS* shared with trucks, as well as being available in the aftermarket from Dorman. There's nothing wrong with my shifter, but "while I'm in there" I might as well install one that's compatible with an Allison... you know... just in case. The shifters that are available are for the 4 speed transmissions and it's become hard to look something up in GM's system without a VIN, so I'll have to do some more research on that.

Here it is in mid-thrash:

My dad did the reassembly. He says the cruise works with the new switch. That's pretty sweet... only thing we had to do was swap the switch out.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

All Allison A1000's are 6 speed, the five speed models are just a TCM (and valvebody?) away from being a 6 speed, which should help with economy, but, they weigh something like 350 pounds, which doesn't help either...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 pm All Allison A1000's are 6 speed, the five speed models are just a TCM (and valvebody?) away from being a 6 speed, which should help with economy, but, they weigh something like 350 pounds, which doesn't help either...
Right, I've heard that. The switch to the 6 speed was just the discovery that engaging the existing clutches in a different pattern would result in a sixth gear. The valve body is different to allow that, as is the TCM, of course.

To switch to the Allison, I'd have to switch out the transmission harness, which also includes power in some different locations in the under-hood fuse block... so it's not even close to a plug/play swap. Oh well... that was going to be one of the last things on my list anyway.

I always thought the 4L80E was fairly heavy, but I just looked it up and it's only about 180 lbs. The Allison would about double that... but I'm estimating my empty weight around 5500# (currently has ~200lbs of stuff in it spread across shelves and tank and 1/4" plywood walls) and the GVW is 9600, so I have ~4000# of payload capacity...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:51 pm
ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 pm All Allison A1000's are 6 speed, the five speed models are just a TCM (and valvebody?) away from being a 6 speed, which should help with economy, but, they weigh something like 350 pounds, which doesn't help either...
Right, I've heard that. The switch to the 6 speed was just the discovery that engaging the existing clutches in a different pattern would result in a sixth gear. The valve body is different to allow that, as is the TCM, of course.

To switch to the Allison, I'd have to switch out the transmission harness, which also includes power in some different locations in the under-hood fuse block... so it's not even close to a plug/play swap. Oh well... that was going to be one of the last things on my list anyway.

I always thought the 4L80E was fairly heavy, but I just looked it up and it's only about 180 lbs. The Allison would about double that... but I'm estimating my empty weight around 5500# (currently has ~200lbs of stuff in it spread across shelves and tank and 1/4" plywood walls) and the GVW is 9600, so I have ~4000# of payload capacity...

at this point, I'm seriously considering trying to find a DMAX van for a donor for the pig rig. I think a 4L80e would greatly simplify the installation compared to an allison, and if I later decide to go that route, I'll deal with it then.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ok, cool. You mentioned a couple of different axle options, and I was a little lazy to go back through everything to figure it out. 4.10's, right?

I agree that the 4L80E would be an easier swap than the Allison. I haven't spent a lot of time, but I haven't found a definitive "Allison fits in the Square Body without cutting" or "Allison fits the Square Body but requires XYZ inch body lift" swap.

I don't know if the DMax van 4L80E's had any special hardware or just an aggressive tune in the TCM.

A 6L80E or 6L90E would be fantastic options as well. GM ran those in the Diesel vans starting in 2010 per Wikipedia. The 4:1 first gear would be great for offroading.

You probably want an '06 for the same reasons I did: lack of DPF. I know it can be left out of a swap. However, in your case, if you have to justify the swap to some overbearing dictatorial asshole State government, it'll pay to have an engine that did not require the DPF to begin with.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 pm Ok, cool. You mentioned a couple of different axle options, and I was a little lazy to go back through everything to figure it out. 4.10's, right?

I agree that the 4L80E would be an easier swap than the Allison. I haven't spent a lot of time, but I haven't found a definitive "Allison fits in the Square Body without cutting" or "Allison fits the Square Body but requires XYZ inch body lift" swap.

I don't know if the DMax van 4L80E's had any special hardware or just an aggressive tune in the TCM.

A 6L80E or 6L90E would be fantastic options as well. GM ran those in the Diesel vans starting in 2010 per Wikipedia. The 4:1 first gear would be great for offroading.

You probably want an '06 for the same reasons I did: lack of DPF. I know it can be left out of a swap. However, in your case, if you have to justify the swap to some overbearing dictatorial asshole State government, it'll pay to have an engine that did not require the DPF to begin with.
for me the year isn't as important, but I would prefer an 06 model just because it's less BS to have to deal with, the 4L80E came stock in 89-91 3/4 ton Suburbans, which makes things even easier, and like you, I'm not after 10K ft lbs torque, I'm more concerned with range. my goal is to have 1000 mile range in road trip configuration for the Pig, my plan, is to run tall gears in the diffs, and a doubler kit for the transfer case, when I need low gears, I shift the 203 range box to low, and a 3.23 becomes a 6.46 gear. I'm trying to see if I can find a range box that is ~1.5:1, as I think that would overall be more ideal for towing in low range with a 3.23.(3.23x1.5=~4.85) the current axles are 4.10:1, but as I said, I plan to run taller gears if I do a DMAX.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Your current first gear is 3.07 and the 4L80E first gear is 2.47; that affects your crawl ratio as well.

My dad's old '79 3/4 ton Suburban that since rusted out and was scrapped was built with a 454, TH400 and 3.21 ratio 10.5" 14bff. We kept that axle and swapped to his current truck, but adapted later disk brakes. With a 4L80E it turns 1750 at 55 and 2200 at 80 mph. I'm not sure what other "big" axles there are in that ratio range, nor do I know anything about carrier selection and lockers available with that ratio. GM has several 3.42 options, though, and Dodge put 11.5" 14bffs with 3.42 gears in their 3500 trucks.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 am Your current first gear is 3.07 and the 4L80E first gear is 2.47; that affects your crawl ratio as well.

My dad's old '79 3/4 ton Suburban that since rusted out and was scrapped was built with a 454, TH400 and 3.21 ratio 10.5" 14bff. We kept that axle and swapped to his current truck, but adapted later disk brakes. With a 4L80E it turns 1750 at 55 and 2200 at 80 mph. I'm not sure what other "big" axles there are in that ratio range, nor do I know anything about carrier selection and lockers available with that ratio. GM has several 3.42 options, though, and Dodge put 11.5" 14bffs with 3.42 gears in their 3500 trucks.
when I get to crawling, the NP205 will be shifted to low as well, I more plan on using the range box as an underdrive than a crawl gear, that way I can manage great fuel economy, good tow capability, and good offroad capability. I'd prefer a 1.5:1 ish range box, to really make the best of everything, high range give great economy, low gives great torque, then with the transfer case in low, it gets a decent crawl of about 23:1 overall
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

on the reasoning for hinged doors over sliding, I used to work out of a van, and the you can store stuff on the hinged doors, and still access it with the doors open. it made a difference for us, because we had lots of small parts that we regularly needed that we would keep on the doors.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I do get that... but any significant bulk on items hung on the interior of the side doors makes accessing the inside of the vehicle even more difficult.

Top gear on the 4L80E is 0.75, while the 6L80E/6L90E's is 0.63... That's a significant improvement in economy, and the aftermarket is supporting the 6 speed transmissions pretty well.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 pm I do get that... but any significant bulk on items hung on the interior of the side doors makes accessing the inside of the vehicle even more difficult.

Top gear on the 4L80E is 0.75, while the 6L80E/6L90E's is 0.63... That's a significant improvement in economy, and the aftermarket is supporting the 6 speed transmissions pretty well.
I haven't looked at the 6 speeds much, most of the vehicles I have driven with them seem to gear hunt quite a bit, but that can probably be tuned out. it's definitely worth looking into, that being said, more gears allows an engine with a narrow powerband, like a diesel, to stay in peak efficiency over a wider range.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

6.6 Diesel vans got the 6L90E starting in 2010 per Wiki, so likely not difficult to make it work with a 2006 engine.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:53 am 6.6 Diesel vans got the 6L90E starting in 2010 per Wiki, so likely not difficult to make it work with a 2006 engine.
the 4:1 first is also very appealing for a vehicle built to do some towing/crawling. I'm definitely adding this to the research list, stock trucks were running these with 3.42 gears as the heavy duty option and towing quite well. it's also close to the same bulk as a 4L80e. this is a 6L80 not 90.
post-37769-1227183788.jpg
post-37769-1227183788.jpg (70.11 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
post-37769-1227183777.jpg
post-37769-1227183777.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
A1000 vs 700r4
163_0412_duramaxpart103_z.jpg
163_0412_duramaxpart103_z.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That's pretty wild that the 6L80E and 4L80E are so close to the same overall length. The 6L90E is only minimally longer than the 6L80E; 1/2" maybe? The only difference is a wider final planetary gearset to deal with heavier towing.

The Allison is a big bitch. The van forum at DieselPlace says the Allison swap is too much work, don't even bother. So far the only issues I've dug up are that it hits the floorpan and needs transmission crossmember work. Pretty much any transmission swap needs crossmember work and the floorpan interference can be handled with a body lift, if the interference is even with the floorpan and not just a body support member. I think there are some build threads there, but I haven't found all the information of interest yet.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I need to unbolt the filebox between the front seats so I can get the engine cover off and start looking at where the bellhousing and transmission case and physical parts all end up.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:54 pm That's pretty wild that the 6L80E and 4L80E are so close to the same overall length. The 6L90E is only minimally longer than the 6L80E; 1/2" maybe? The only difference is a wider final planetary gearset to deal with heavier towing.

The Allison is a big bitch. The van forum at DieselPlace says the Allison swap is too much work, don't even bother. So far the only issues I've dug up are that it hits the floorpan and needs transmission crossmember work. Pretty much any transmission swap needs crossmember work and the floorpan interference can be handled with a body lift, if the interference is even with the floorpan and not just a body support member. I think there are some build threads there, but I haven't found all the information of interest yet.
the problem I have with the A1000 is that it significantly limits transfer case options, a custom range box like I described above would allow for whatever case I want, but costs quite a bit.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Are you still looking at the NP203/205 doubler setup?
That's basically what the Atlas 4 speed T-case copies, right?

Novak says the 6L90E is 1 3/8" longer than the 6L80E
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t ... matic/6l80

Don't forget the Quadrasteer. :wink: I just re-read a little bit of your thread... I had forgotten that you said the tow rating went UP on the Quadrasteer trucks. Wild.