cluster lights

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

cluster lights

Post by ericjon262 »

Any of you install LED's in place of the factory cluster bulbs? I have the dash out of my car, and have a couple of duds and would rather replace them now. got any pictures?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
draven

Re: cluster lights

Post by draven »

Have a little experience with the individual replacement LEDs from years ago and they were 'spotty' (literally) at best. Looks like they've improved however. I did experiment with EMC209i's LED strip backlight solution. Took it about 4/5's of the way there to see if I could improve upon it. I used strip leds and halo rings and even etched a copper circuit board to fit into the AC control light bar with SMD LEDs. Got the AC controls LED alignment off on my first cut but proved it could be done...

I shelved the project but have everything packaged up and ready to start back.

This was the basis of my efforts by EMC209i:

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Archives/Arch ... 71876.html
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Thats neat! I did find a bag of bulbs from a cluster I pulled ages ago that I thought I had tossed, so for not, I'm going to stick with what's installed, then work out a better solution later if I find it's still necessary.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Convenience has its relevance.

I posted that in the stone age of LED tech.
draven

Post by draven »

Emc209i wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:14 pm I posted that in the stone age of LED tech.
Somewhat appropriate for these cars, no?