water/meth injection

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

Re: water/meth injection

Post by ericjon262 »

pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:10 pm Air temperature is used in speed-density to correct for the air density variation with temperature. If you're using a MAF, you don't really need an air temperature sensor anymore, as you're taking a direct mass flow measurement.

Be careful with air temperature sensors placed after a turbocompressor. When gas is compressed, its temperature rises (immediately). This means that at the moment we hit full boost, the compressor discharge air is hot right away! When you shift and you're no longer boosting, the discharge temp goes right back down.

If you're running speed-density, this means that your temperature sensor must be fast enough to react to the temperature swings. If your sensor doesn't react fast enough, the speed-density algorithm is working off the wrong data.

I tested my open-element sensor by dunking it into a pot of boiling water. It took seconds for its resistance to stabilise after the dunk. I have about 0.3 seconds of turbo lag between WOT and full boost. So forget it, a post-compressor sensor would never keep up.

On my Fiero (which is running speed-density), I placed the temperature sensor in the intake duct just behind the intake scoop. It's basically reading the ambient air temperature. The air density reduction due to the temperature rise of the compressor ends up being baked into my VE(RPM, MAP) table. It seems to work well enough, but I usually hang around the same altitude (which happens to be near sea level). I think if I drove my car to a different altitude, the compressor would be working at a different pressure ratio for a given MAP, so the mass flow estimation would be off.

With an intercooler, temperature estimation gets complicated (since the sensors are slow), so MAF starts to sound like a good idea...
Air temperature also plays into detonation resistance too though, a hot charge won't take as much timing as a cold charge at the same AFR. I'm honestly not sure of the specifics as to how a MAF generates it's signal, and how temperature compensation takes place.

the sensor lag time is also part of the reason we tune our cars, as we can see the response of the whole system, and calibrate accordingly. I am curious about the response time of my card MAF's IAT sensor, but I'm not really sure of a way to perform a repeatable test without destroying it. I was also considering using the water discharge temperature from the intercooler to adjust timing, as there should be a linear correlation between charge temperature and water outlet, but it adds an additional variable that isn't as predictable without adding at least 1 additional water inlet temp sensor.

pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:10 pm Some comments on the video

The dude missed the point of the water/meth injection. Water/meth isn't a power adder on its own. What it can do is stave off detonation, which allows you to run more boost without detonation.

The video shows an air temperature reduction (in the compressed air piping) with the water/meth, as cool as with the intercooler... I'd call BS on that result. If the air temperature was the same as with the intercooler, the air density would be the same, and then the power would be the same.

However, power on water/meth was the same as with the non-intercooled non-injected configuration, so I reason that the air density (and thus temperature) was the same as with the non-intercooled non-injected configuration.

My bet is that the water/meth droplets were hitting the temperature sensor and cooling it, giving a false temperature reading!
I don't think is objective was ultimate power, it was more of a test to show the effectiveness of the two different methods of charge cooling, power output being the factor that changes the most. I would like to see a comparison with a system more like yours, which directly supply's the mixture to each cylinder, which was the major pitfall of water/meth on an LSx like in the video, the front cylinders get the juice, and the rear run dry, which means you reach a limit on some cylinders, while you still have room to go on others. He talks about it quite a bit around the 15 minute mark. Richard does a ton of test videos and claims to tune each setup to the best achievable output that he can, while i would love to write it off as marketing, I've seen him test stuff that costs nothing, which to me, lends some credibility to his work.
pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:10 pm I think that if you can package an intercooler, it's a good thing to have. However, depending on its own temperature, it may not always cool the compressed air the same amount, which introduces another variable that can lead to inconsistency with the tune. However, if you have a MAF, the tune problem is largely solved.

The MAF is just a bit more tricky in that you have to install the MAF itself, and you have to recirculate your BOV flow. So it's more fabrication / packaging work.
The BOV isn't really a problem unless you install it after the MAF, pre-MAF and you don't have to recirculate it as the air is exhausted prior to the air getting to the MAF.

pmbrunelle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:15 pm GM's decision to relate MAF to frequency vs. Bosch's decision to use 0-5V definitely gave the GM sensors at least one and maybe two significant digits of precision, though.
The input capture unit of a typical microcontroller is 16-bit. (for frequency measurement)

The ADC of a typical microcontroller is typically 12-bit. (for analog voltage measurement)

The increased accuracy, from what i remember reading, was more related to the fact that by outputting a frequency instead of a voltage, resulted in the reading of the MAF not losing accuracy based on parameters related to wire length and ground resistance.

as far as the "air door" style "MAFs" go, I've only heard them referred to as "air flow meters" not MAF, they are a truly garbage design in my opinion.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Bit of advice.

The car will and run and drive and make boost with no intercooler. Get it running. Drive it. Tune for 10 psi or less boost. Enjoy it for a bit. You have been building the car for almost 10 years and never driven it but a couple of times.

I had e85 but I ran no I intercooler and 16 lbs of boost. Just get it togethor and drive it for more than around the block. Worry about that other shit later. Your ADD is controlling you
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:04 am Bit of advice.

The car will and run and drive and make boost with no intercooler. Get it running. Drive it. Tune for 10 psi or less boost. Enjoy it for a bit. You have been building the car for almost 10 years and never driven it but a couple of times.

I had e85 but I ran no I intercooler and 16 lbs of boost. Just get it togethor and drive it for more than around the block. Worry about that other shit later. Your ADD is controlling you
that's actually what I'm working on, this is more of a side project while I wait on parts... somehow the only parts that I have to work with ATM, are the parts for the intercooler... :crazy: Hopefully my new MS3 arrives tomorrow and I can continue with the setup and initial debugging of the rest of the electrical systems over the weekend, if it doesn't, I'll start working on fuel system plumbing and try and get everything else ready to roll as soon as it gets here. Maybe I'll pull the engine back out so I can paint the cradle and install the flywheel/clutch and have it ready to roll.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

pmbrunelle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:15 pm Intake air temp has to be baked into the MAF reading. Without this compensation, a hot wire/hot film MAF would read differently between 10 lb/min at 30F and 10 lb/min at 90F. GM's MAF + MAP controls help differentiate this, as does IAT directly.
When I think of a MAF, I imagine a black box that returns the mass air flow. Whatever internal mechanisms it may use are abstracted away from the user.

If a sensor returns a raw value that must be combined with another variable (temperature) to obtain mass airflow, then it's not a MAF.
pmbrunelle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm I tested my open-element sensor by dunking it into a pot of boiling water. It took seconds for its resistance to stabilise after the dunk. I have about 0.3 seconds of turbo lag between WOT and full boost. So forget it, a post-compressor sensor would never keep up.
The point is that this happens to the temperature sensing element of a MAF as well, although the MAF sensor's integrated temperature sensor can be significantly lower mass than the stand-alone IAT you were testing.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:15 pm GM's decision to relate MAF to frequency vs. Bosch's decision to use 0-5V definitely gave the GM sensors at least one and maybe two significant digits of precision, though.
pmbrunelle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm The input capture unit of a typical microcontroller is 16-bit. (for frequency measurement)

The ADC of a typical microcontroller is typically 12-bit. (for analog voltage measurement)
I think that's a chicken/egg argument. There's nothing in science that can be measured more precisely than a frequency, and a measurement in which the measured quantity is proportional to a frequency inherently has better noise rejection than a voltage level, so it's only natural that microcontrollers would be designed to take advantage of these facts.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:32 am The BOV isn't really a problem unless you install it after the MAF, pre-MAF and you don't have to recirculate it as the air is exhausted prior to the air getting to the MAF.
Even if the BOV is upstream of the MAF, there's compressed air downstream of the MAF that will expand backwards through the MAF as the BOV releases the pressure in the intake tube. It's not as big a problem as dumping charge air downstream of the MAF, but can lead to double- and even triple-counting a small mass of air. Mount the MAF as close to the throttle as possible and the BOV as close to the compressor as possible to mitigate.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 am The point is that this happens to the temperature sensing element of a MAF as well, although the MAF sensor's integrated temperature sensor can be significantly lower mass than the stand-alone IAT you were testing.
A hot-wire MAF is a temperature sensor (albeit a self-heated one) that does respond quickly, so in theory it is possible to created a fast-responding standalone temperature sensor.

The open-element GM sensor I tested was encapsulated, but if it were instead a thin exposed wire, it would be much faster.

I also shopped for other standalone IATs, but I didn't find anything that was fast (i.e. 100 ms time constant) and accurate enough when reading the high temperature air from a turbo compressor discharge.
ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:32 am Air temperature also plays into detonation resistance too though, a hot charge won't take as much timing as a cold charge at the same AFR.
You can go off of ambient temperature. Hot ambient -> hot engine intake temperature. Cold ambient -> cold engine intake temperature.
Hot ambient = timing retard?
ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:32 am the sensor lag time is also part of the reason we tune our cars, as we can see the response of the whole system, and calibrate accordingly.
You can only calibrate a system that repeats. If a system does not repeat from one time to the next (i.e. due to sensor lag), the calibration will not work.
ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:32 am I am curious about the response time of my card MAF's IAT sensor, but I'm not really sure of a way to perform a repeatable test without destroying it.
Shop vac to create some wind through the sensor, then use a hot-air gun to introduce a step temperature change.
https://www.fieromontreal.com/index.php ... 0#msg17530

You may wish to substitute a digital meter if the analog meter's response is too slow for what you're trying to measure.
ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:32 am I was also considering using the water discharge temperature from the intercooler to adjust timing, as there should be a linear correlation between charge temperature and water outlet, but it adds an additional variable that isn't as predictable without adding at least 1 additional water inlet temp sensor.
Check section 8.17 of the TS Reference Guide:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... 5-111.html

It describes the blending of temperature reading depending on airflow.

Without firmware modifications, you'll be limited in the sensor blending that can be done.

You could just suppose that the intake air assumes the intercooler's temperature, and feed the IC temp to the IAT input.

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:04 am I had e85 but I ran no I intercooler and 16 lbs of boost. Just get it togethor and drive it for more than around the block. Worry about that other shit later. Your ADD is controlling you
Eric should have two Fieros, kind of like Will.

One Fiero to drive.
The other Fiero to feed the ADD.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

I have my IAT sensor between the intercooler and the throttle. For ambient temp I drive by the bank.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

pmbrunelle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:59 pm Shop vac to create some wind through the sensor, then use a hot-air gun to introduce a step temperature change.
https://www.fieromontreal.com/index.php ... 0#msg17530

You may wish to substitute a digital meter if the analog meter's response is too slow for what you're trying to measure.
Way too many variables to make an easily repeatable test. dunking the sensor in water eliminates a bunch of variables, you know exactly when the sensor hits, and the temperature that's hitting it, and because water has a much higher heat capacity than air, it will take less time to stabilize as well.
pmbrunelle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:59 pm Eric should have two Fieros, kind of like Will.

One Fiero to drive.
The other Fiero to feed the ADD.
I have a "fun" DD already, realistically, me buying another Fiero would be about as bad an idea as they come...

My fun DD, The Pig Rig:

Honest Don wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:46 pm I have my IAT sensor between the intercooler and the throttle. For ambient temp I drive by the bank.
I'm not to worried about ambient as much as I am about the air going into the cylinder. because I have a sensor in my MAF already, and it's already wired up, I may as well use it. If I build my custom intake intercooler, I'll install one post intercooler and leave the MAF IAT sensor wired in so I can monitor intercooler performance.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

I used to have a 90 Sub. Stolen twice. The first time they recovered it; no such luck on the second.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Honest Don wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:30 pm I used to have a 90 Sub. Stolen twice. The first time they recovered it; no such luck on the second.
Mine is a '88, Last year it saw 12 different states, including trip to Alaska. It's slow, but it does everything I need it to.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

here are some pictures showing the fitment problems, you can see the relocated crossmember that prevents me from mounting the IC lower/horizontal.

Laying the intercooler down flat like this, and having the inlet and outlet pipes come off vertical and perpendicular it would fit way better.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Firewall mounting possible?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I guess you'll also have a duct down to the Fiero stock intake location behind the quarter panel?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:41 am Firewall mounting possible?
Maybe, but the space isn't as much of a problem as the form is.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:03 am I guess you'll also have a duct down to the Fiero stock intake location behind the quarter panel?
The IC was only resting there as a quick reference, if I mounted it there, the air intake and discharge would both enter/leave the IC vertically, instead of out the driver's side. it would require custom ends, but I think I could manage it.

Ideally, the intercooler will be mounted to the subframe so that the entire engine assembly installs/removes as a unit, which greatly simplifies maintenance requiring engine removal, like clutch jobs.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I was referring to your turbo intake, which will need to be fairly large (4"?) and package in the immediate vicinity of your intercooler.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:14 pm I was referring to your turbo intake, which will need to be fairly large (4"?) and package in the immediate vicinity of your intercooler.
It's much higher than the proposed IC positions, and is 4". Short term plan is to stick the filter on it and run it, Long term plan is to duct it to fresh air.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:44 am here are some pictures showing the fitment problems, you can see the relocated crossmember that prevents me from mounting the IC lower/horizontal.

Laying the intercooler down flat like this, and having the inlet and outlet pipes come off vertical and perpendicular it would fit way better.

In other posts it looks like you have a welder that can do aluminum; why not put the inlet/outlet where you want? Due to poor planning and a winter cold snap, I found out that those intercoolers use a pretty weld-friendly grade of aluminum.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I do have a welder capable of doing aluminum, but I need a better one, and by a better one, I mean the guy who uses it sucks at it...

But in all seriousness, that's what I'm planning to do, I just don't have the time to invest in the R&D aspects of making it fit at the moment.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

ericjon262 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:18 am I do have a welder capable of doing aluminum, but I need a better one, and by a better one, I mean the guy who uses it sucks at it...

But in all seriousness, that's what I'm planning to do, I just don't have the time to invest in the R&D aspects of making it fit at the moment.
I’m not pretty at it either, but so long as it holds... And if it actually does pop, just do it again.

It’s an old car, from a dead brand, with almost zero aftermarket. Homemade is more than acceptable. And it’s out of sight.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Honest Don wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:39 am
ericjon262 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:18 am I do have a welder capable of doing aluminum, but I need a better one, and by a better one, I mean the guy who uses it sucks at it...

I’m not pretty at it either, but so long as it holds... And if it actually does pop, just do it again.

It’s an old car, from a dead brand, with almost zero aftermarket. Homemade is more than acceptable. And it’s out of sight.

I completely agree, and I am going to do it when I have more time.