CAN you dig it?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Honest Don

CAN you dig it?

Post by Honest Don »

Getting pieces together to play with the canbus capabilities on the MS. Moreso for datalogging various this and that, but ideas are rolling in.

Specifications

Microcontroller: ATmega2560
Operating Voltage: 5V
Input Voltage (recommended): 7-12V
Input Voltage (limits): 6-20V
Digital I/O Pins: 54 (of which 14 provide PWM output)
Analog Input Pins: 16
DC Current per I/O Pin: 40 mA
DC Current for 3.3V Pin: 50 mA
Flash Memory: 256 KB of which 8 KB used by bootloader
SRAM: 8 KB
EEPROM: 4 KB
Clock Speed: 16 MHz

I/O for days!
Attachments
DA6BF5D2-E5F4-4507-982A-2EABCCAF847A.jpeg
DA6BF5D2-E5F4-4507-982A-2EABCCAF847A.jpeg (108.79 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
pmbrunelle

Re: CAN you dig it?

Post by pmbrunelle »

Probably a large part of the project will be to cook up a suitable enclosure with connectors/strain reliefs robust enough for (I'm guessing) the cabin of a car.

Will you use the Arduino IDE, or will you be programming on bare metal?
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

Enclosures are pretty easy anymore. I either draw something up from scratch or in most cases, find an existing drawing somewhat close and modify to fit my needs. Not sure what I’m doing for connectors just yet.

I’ve had good success with IDE.
Attachments
6997A4D7-6945-4E80-BD07-2ABFDCB25434.jpeg
6997A4D7-6945-4E80-BD07-2ABFDCB25434.jpeg (149.35 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
BAC3D97F-00FE-44FD-A1D4-1A9F288680C7.jpeg
BAC3D97F-00FE-44FD-A1D4-1A9F288680C7.jpeg (142.79 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

Oooh, a 3D printer. I'm sure it's a handy tool to have.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:49 am Oooh, a 3D printer. I'm sure it's a handy tool to have.
Yeah, it’s saved the day on a number of occasions.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

For an enclosure, my easy button would be McMaster.

Snazzy stuff; custom CANBus architectures is the future of hot rodding.

There's a WHOLE LOT of documentation out there about GM CANBus, but their modules only do specific things. There's a bunch of profe$$ional motor$port grade $tuff that can do ABS and similar data via CANBus...

I've been curious about doing real time tire temperatures. A bar near the face of the tire could hold IR temp sensors that could give real time inner edge/center/outer edge temperatures. Mount another one in the dust shield reading the surface of the rotor for brake temperatures. Would they work in the rain? Maybe?
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:54 pm For an enclosure, my easy button would be McMaster.

There's a WHOLE LOT of documentation out there about GM CANBus, but their modules only do specific things. There's a bunch of profe$$ional motor$port grade $tuff that can do ABS and similar data via CANBus...

I've been curious about doing real time tire temperatures. A bar near the face of the tire could hold IR temp sensors that could give real time inner edge/center/outer edge temperatures. Mount another one in the dust shield reading the surface of the rotor for brake temperatures. Would they work in the rain? Maybe?

What about *in* the tire? There’s a video going around where the guy actually managed to fit a gopro on the wheel and mount the tire over.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:54 pm For an enclosure, my easy button would be McMaster.

Hardware to do that is super cheap from china, I may have bought some years ago on small break out boards.
https://www.mouser.com/new/melexis/mele ... ermometer/
car.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

A complicated programmable part with a 52-page datasheet (possibly containing errors)... and it's in an old-school metal can.

Honest Don wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:44 pm What about *in* the tire? There’s a video going around where the guy actually managed to fit a gopro on the wheel and mount the tire over.
I suppose that the heating (via friction) and cooling (convection) of the tire tread happens on the outside, so wouldn't readings on the inside be a poor proxy of the external temperature, given the thickness of the tread?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I can dig it quite a bit. I'd be very interested in a CAN-bus gauge controller that could drive all of the factory gauges via MS-CAN, thus eliminating all of the redundant wiring in the console. I'm going to try and do this with a microsquirt, but I don't think it will be able to carry all of the gauges by itself.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

ericjon262 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 am I can dig it quite a bit. I'd be very interested in a CAN-bus gauge controller that could drive all of the factory gauges via MS-CAN, thus eliminating all of the redundant wiring in the console. I'm going to try and do this with a microsquirt, but I don't think it will be able to carry all of the gauges by itself.
There's also the gpio board if you're brand loyal.

I'm mostly using this for additional data acquisition (trans temp, line pressure, coolant pressure, etc.) and maybe drive a few bright idiot lights that will hopefully get my attention before things go too wrong.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Honest Don wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:09 pm
ericjon262 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 am I can dig it quite a bit. I'd be very interested in a CAN-bus gauge controller that could drive all of the factory gauges via MS-CAN, thus eliminating all of the redundant wiring in the console. I'm going to try and do this with a microsquirt, but I don't think it will be able to carry all of the gauges by itself.
There's also the gpio board if you're brand loyal.

I'm mostly using this for additional data acquisition (trans temp, line pressure, coolant pressure, etc.) and maybe drive a few bright idiot lights that will hopefully get my attention before things go too wrong.
it's definitely something I'm going to start researching soon, I don't think that the microquirt is really ideal for what I want it to do, but it does offer other things that I would later like to implement into my car. when I have the car running, I'll start worrying more about getting the controller developed.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

300psi sensor from Low Doller Motorsports. $35 and comes with a calibration chart.
Attachments
56C57E60-78D3-484C-813F-2E7A83703ECE.jpeg
56C57E60-78D3-484C-813F-2E7A83703ECE.jpeg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Honest Don wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:35 pm 300psi sensor from Low Doller Motorsports. $35 and comes with a calibration chart.
I'm using these same sensors on my car for fuel pressure and oil pressure, just at 100 PSI and not 300. so far they seem ok.