WK Grand Cherokee Diesel

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

WK Grand Cherokee Diesel

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Chrysler/Jeep has had diesel models in Europe for years.
In the US, in 2005 and 2006, they built the KJ Liberty CRD using the VM Motori R428, a version of which is now used in GM's Colorado & Canyon small trucks and the Express van (even 3500) from 2017 on.
The WK Grand Cherokee was built from 2005 to 2010. In Europe it had diesel options for the entire production run. In the US, for 2007 through 2009, it had the Mercedes-Benz 3.0 OM642 75 degree V6 plus the legendary 722.6 five speed automatic. The 722.6 is also used in my current E320 CDI, as well as the twin turbo V12 S65, CL65 and SL65 AMG models with 730 ftlbs of torque and a warranty.

There's a 2007 WK with 211,000 miles nearby for $4500 that "needs a transmission and/or transfer case". There's a 2008 with 230,000 miles that's ready to drive away for about the same price, but it's in Indiana. www.car-parts.com shows a transmission close enough to pick up for $300. I'm thinking I could leverage the driveable one to get the one in need of repair for cheaper, then drop it and transmission off at a local shop and have them do the replacement.

Then I'd have the great glory of owning three diesel vehicles.

If I were to do this, I would END the Eagle project. The Eagle is just too much of a PITA, the WK would be better off road anyway, has a much larger aftermarket and would be a lot easier to live with on a daily basis as well. Also, I can't do shit with the Eagle until my dad gets his V8 Eagle project out of the way, and god the fuck only knows when that might happen.
pmbrunelle

Re: WK Grand Cherokee Diesel

Post by pmbrunelle »

Worst case you could always take some vacation and go get the faraway one?

I always find I'm better at bluffing when my backup plan isn't completely fabricated.

It's probably less trouble too, something that runs versus something with the potential of running.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The extent of my prep would be to call both dealers. I can take a Friday off without too much effort and my dad's retired and enjoys road trips.

Maybe I should look at a WK forum to see what other vehicles are going for...

Also need to be watchful for "Oh, that's cool!" type impulse purchases...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

this wouldn't have the cool factor of the Eagle IMO. also, it would mean the massive amounts of work you put into it were more or less for nothing. I would keep at it with the Eagle, but that's me.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

2nd for keeping the eagle. Diesel or otherwise, Grand Cherokees are such awful things.
Attachments
18D2F627-D7C5-4056-90F9-D6C056B8A37E.jpeg
18D2F627-D7C5-4056-90F9-D6C056B8A37E.jpeg (186.16 KiB) Viewed 25759 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm this wouldn't have the cool factor of the Eagle IMO. also, it would mean the massive amounts of work you put into it were more or less for nothing. I would keep at it with the Eagle, but that's me.
I don't feel like I've put a lot of work into the Eagle, though. I snagged a freshly rebuilt engine that was a target of opportunity (*I* did not build it). I bolted up a stock flywheel and clutch. I snagged a salvage transmission and bolted it up. I did build a T-case, but that wasn't all that much work. The locker install has been by far the most difficult thing I've done/tried so far.
That it should have been easy and quick was the point of starting it... It *should have* been easy and quick. It even would have been easy and quick. If my dad's Eagle project had been out of the way, I would have pulled the recipient chassis into the garage and dropped the powertrain into it without the locker, and it would be running/driving now.

I'll complete the powertrain... I think am really close to getting the locker done and installed. I think. I won't be able to get the powertrain out of the workshop until my dad's Eagle project moves anyway, so not a big change in actual circumstances. Except that if I buy the WK diesel, I'll have a running off-road rig.

I'm a smidge jelly of a friend of mine. We flew down to Nashville in late 2017 to pick up an H3 Alpha with off-road package. The H3 is built on the Colorado/Canyon frame, the H3 Alpha has a 5.3 V8 and the off-road package includes a 4:1 T-case along with 4.10 factory e-lockers front and rear. He did a shackle lift in the rear, cranked the torsion bars as far as possible while remaining safe for the CV joints in front (which is only a 1-1.5" lift, IIRC), installed 37's and... was done. Actually, not quite. He replaced the factory skid "frame" that could get caught on rocks with an aftermarket skid plate, which actually incrementally improved ground clearance, and then was done. It's pretty damned good off road, and he'd have to spend WAY more money to make it better. It's a definitely a sweet spot in that regard.

His H3 is FAR more capable than it's even remotely practical to make an Eagle. An Eagle is a quirky wagon that can handle fire roads and a little mud. When they're built into extremely capable off-roaders, it's via an amount of work that could turn Barbie's Corvette into a capable off-road rig.

If I weren't currently as jaded as I am, an R428 (GM: LWN) diesel would make a fun Eagle, but after seeing how much of a PITA the Chevy mounts were to fabricate, I'm not wild about that idea either.
Honest Don wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:50 pm 2nd for keeping the eagle. Diesel or otherwise, Grand Cherokees are such awful things.
What's awful about GC's? All the soccer moms? :wink: :P
I'm rather partial to soccer MILFs, actually.

That is a pretty awesome Eagle build. I'd love to do one like that, but I'd keep IFS instead of SAS... and it would take 5 years %)
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

it gets pretty difficult to get a big lift with IFS, the axles are too short, and you end up exceeding CV joint capacity real quick. I'm sure you already know that though. portals would work...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Anything built to that level would have zero stock parts left anyway... CV joints and plunge connections exist to make it work. Like I said, another five years %)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nobody there knows what's wrong, but the salesman said "it doesn't come out of first gear". They received it as a trade-in.

I *think* they received it this way, but it has 32" tires on the front and just over 29" tires on the back.
The tire size/speed difference (9.3%) front to back is definitely enough to cause problems with the 4WD electronics and/or stability control.

I was there to look at it this morning, but it had sat in their unheated detail bay all weekend and didn't want to start. It cranked fine but acted like it wasn't getting fuel. Not sure what's up with that. I assume the engine is pretty bulletproof, being a Benz unit.

It also has a pending P0299 code. I dealt with this on my '05 Benz E320 CDI, so it doesn't scare me.

Other than that the body is straight and the vehicle looks rust free. It has the 12 bolt rear diff and the 4Lo lever on the center console. The paint is still shiny, but has it's share of scratches and dings that look pretty normal to me, considering the mileage. Driver's seat is pretty torn up but the rest of the interior is pretty good for the mileage.

My theory is that the different tire sizes cause the transfer case clutch to lock, trying to speed up the taller front tires while slowing down the shorter rear tires. That will definitely create "drag" on the vehicle and the extra throttle required to move the vehicle would probably keep it in first at a higher than expected speed. I have a more complete scan tool on the way... I'll go back next Saturday. I'm inclined to snag it if I can hear/see it run.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 pm
What's awful about GC's? All the soccer moms? :wink: :P
I'm rather partial to soccer MILFs, actually.
I mean, there is that....

It's more that something is always broken on them.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 am Also need to be watchful for "Oh, that's cool!" type impulse purchases...
Lulz, funny you say that.

The initial post of this thread could be summarized by: this is cool.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 pm
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 am Also need to be watchful for "Oh, that's cool!" type impulse purchases...
Lulz, funny you say that.

The initial post of this thread could be summarized by: this is cool.
:wink:

Have you read my threads?
http://realfierotech.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17543
http://realfierotech.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17615
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

:lol: No kidding! Now only if some of these would get updates! :crazy:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'll be circling back to the BMW when I get The Mule driving.

I need to snag a garage again to make any movement on the Ferrari.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Put a deposit on the GC yesterday.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 pm I'm a smidge jelly of a friend of mine. We flew down to Nashville in late 2017 to pick up an H3 Alpha with off-road package. The H3 is built on the Colorado/Canyon frame, the H3 Alpha has a 5.3 V8 and the off-road package includes a 4:1 T-case along with 4.10 factory e-lockers front and rear. He did a shackle lift in the rear, cranked the torsion bars as far as possible while remaining safe for the CV joints in front (which is only a 1-1.5" lift, IIRC), installed 37's and... was done. Actually, not quite. He replaced the factory skid "frame" that could get caught on rocks with an aftermarket skid plate, which actually incrementally improved ground clearance, and then was done. It's pretty damned good off road, and he'd have to spend WAY more money to make it better. It's a definitely a sweet spot in that regard.
Well to be fair, I spent a whole lot more money on it than you have so far on the Heep (and the Eagle combined). Also: It's about a 2" lift up front (and 2" rear), 35's not 37's (needs moar lift for those), then what you said + Fox 2.0 shocks, high-clearance lower rear shock mounts, rock sliders, and it had to get beefy tie rods and bushings and longer rear sway bar links (then there are the non-suspension related mods). Otherwise you're right... that's where it ends before getting $eriou$. It's more than enough to have a whole lot of fun, though.
Attachments
20201003_082700.jpg
20201003_082700.jpg (321.62 KiB) Viewed 25536 times
20201001.jpg
20201001.jpg (253.42 KiB) Viewed 25536 times
Last edited by alltrbo on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Hurry up and get that Heep home and running so I have someone to go wheeling with. Don't worry, I'll winch it out when it gets stuck then pull it back to civilization when it breaks. :P
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

License plate should be DZL HEEP?
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

CRD HEEP
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator