The Hunt!/Eric's new dump.

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

ericjon262

Re: The Hunt!/Eric's new dump.

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:18 am Have you looked into getting a 2nd meter for the garage? All the cool kids are doing it.

Nice find on the grinder.

I haven't, To be honest, I don't plan on the garage being the shop permanently, I'm working on plans for a real shop to be built out back which I will probably use a second meter for. once the shop is built, I plan to turn the garage into just that, a garage, like for storing a vehicle, and maybe minor maintenance, I'm just not sure when I will be ready to build it, I have a few more pressing issues to resolve with this property first.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

ericjon262 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:15 am I really need to get power run to the garage, at a minimum, I think I need the capability to run about 75 amps at once for the shop, this would run a compressor, and the plasma cutter. I would like to be able to have up to 125 amps, as I am plan on picking up other new tools as well.
Assuming that you'll be working mostly alone in the garage, you don't need more amps because you plan on getting more tools.

Generally speaking, you can only use one tool at a time.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

pmbrunelle wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:11 am
ericjon262 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:15 am I really need to get power run to the garage, at a minimum, I think I need the capability to run about 75 amps at once for the shop, this would run a compressor, and the plasma cutter. I would like to be able to have up to 125 amps, as I am plan on picking up other new tools as well.
Assuming that you'll be working mostly alone in the garage, you don't need more amps because you plan on getting more tools.

Generally speaking, you can only use one tool at a time.
unless one or more of those tools is automated, then you are correct, I guess I'll go ahead and spill the beans that I bought a CNC Plasma cutter, table requires a 20 amp circuit+ an air compressor ~25 amps, + the plasma cutter ~35 amps= 80 amps with no wiggle room, and no shop fans... I'm also looking for a mill to CNC convert, but that should draw way less current than the plasma.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

I think the pool could be really nice once it's cleaned up again. I like the brick edge.

Grinders are invaluable when you need one(kinda messy without a vac though, but the vac can be a bit of a fire hazard if you're not careful)

I'm running 75amps out to mine. House has a 150 panel and code says I can only run half out to the garage. I would run as much stuff on 240v as possible to keep the load down.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Honest Don wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:37 pm I think the pool could be really nice once it's cleaned up again. I like the brick edge.

Grinders are invaluable when you need one(kinda messy without a vac though, but the vac can be a bit of a fire hazard if you're not careful)

I'm running 75amps out to mine. House has a 150 panel and code says I can only run half out to the garage. I would run as much stuff on 240v as possible to keep the load down.

I hope the pool turns out nice, I still have a ton of work to do on it, but for now, I'm happy it's not a mudpit.

sounds like time to upgrade the panel in the house? lol!

Most of my stuff is 240, and/or will be run off a VFD for 3 phase conversion. VFD's do a great job of reducing starting surges when setup properly, which means breakers don't need to be oversized to the same degree they would without VFD's

I think I'm going to setup an appointment for the power company to come out and quote a second meter, it may have several benefits outside of the obvious, the biggest being, that if I start any kind of home business, I can better track my business expenses.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The surface grinder's Y axis got damaged(long story) I made a new one on the mill at work, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but a may need to knock the corners off the top of the ears for fitment. we'll see when I go to get it installed.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What was the welding for?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I didn't have a piece reasonably sized to cut it out of, so it was made of two smaller pieces machined to fit together, and then welded, then machined again. I made it out of scrap metal.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ahh, now that I look at it on a screen bigger than my phone, I see an edge on the HAZ where the two pieces went together.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:43 am Ahh, now that I look at it on a screen bigger than my phone, I see an edge on the HAZ where the two pieces went together.
it's actually 3 pieces, I screwed up and machined away too much material in the base for the ears to align, so I machined it deeper and put a piece of keystock in as a shim. it was ugly, but it worked.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The garage has desperately needed electrical power, I mounted a 200 amp meter pan on the front, and just finished up (for the night) mounting up the 200 amp breaker panel inside. Next, I need to pull the wiring from the meter to the panel, and then run power for lights, and outlets. I'm hoping I can have it inspected Wednesday or Thursday so the power company can quote the damage for the new drop.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I stopped and had a quick chat with the building inspector today, I went there to ask some questions about conduit installations expectations, and then I showed him the pictures of what I had so far and asked if I was missing anything, he said "it looks great except" and then pointed to a posting on the desk:

The picture I showed him...

:-o

so almost all of my day was spent trying to find an adequate replacement for the meter can, or separate disconnect I could install without destroying the rest of the work I already did.

The first option I found was larger breaker panel, which was less than ideal because I already have a breaker panel, and it was massive. it was easily as big as the meter pan.

After several trips to various home improvement and electrical supply stores, I found a viable solution, a combination meter pan/disconnect.

I got it installed just before dark. now I need to pull wire, and start the wiring inside, hopefully I can make acceptable progress tomorrow instead of the abysmal progress like today...

In other news, I discovered why my pictures were sucking more than usual... The cover for the camera lens on my phone is damaged somehow, I think it's almost time for a new phone again, I really liked my CAT S60, but the S61 hasn't really been as awesome. They released an S62, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I'm going to see what the reviews look like, and scope out a few other options.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:45 pm I stopped and had a quick chat with the building inspector today, I went there to ask some questions about conduit installations expectations, and then I showed him the pictures of what I had so far and asked if I was missing anything, he said "it looks great except" and then pointed to a posting on the desk:

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

yeah... that's pretty much how that went.

Today wasn't nearly as productive as I had hoped, I got the wiring run between the meter and the panel, sunk two ground rods, and ran the copper between them. if you didn't know, it's quite difficult to get three 4/0 wires, and one 2/0 cable through one piece of 2" conduit.

one of the problems that arose, when installing the external disconnect, was that the neutral is supposed to be bonded to ground at only one point, this is typically done as close to the meter as possible, in my case, at the external disconnect, which is very easy. the problem is now, that the ground bus bar, and the neutral bus bar, are bonded together in my main panel inside the garage.

here, you can see the neutral connected to the bus bar on the right, and the ground bus bar on the left, both are connected together behind the breaker.

My solution was to remove the left hand bar, flip it upside down, and reinstall it. I plan to install a shorter length of bar in it's original place tomorrow. there will be an air break between the two bars to provide isolation, and I will need to bond the panel to ground as well, which will be easy as pie.

here you can see the flipped bar.

I plan to run most of the circuits out of the top left side of the box, and up into the "attic" of the shop. I'll put boxes on the wall, and conduit running down the wall to each box. it won't be pretty, but it's a shop. I have two 8 foot long tube fixtures with LED bulbs, but I think I'm going to pick up another pair to light the place up similar to what I had in Washington.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Hung new lights in the garage, got everything wired up. I put a plug on the end of the circuit where it would normally plug into the breaker panel to test it and give me some light to work by, and holy cow what a difference... it also allowed me to see just how much of a mess the place was... jumping jesus! My goal is to get the outlets put in over the next few days, and hopefully the county can come out and inspect it so the power company can come out and put a meter in it.

in other news, I already purchased my first upgrade for the CNC plasma cutter, a guy on the facebook page for Langmuir Systems was selling a Hypertherm Powermax 85, I will probably try and sell my older Hypertherm Max 40 and just keep the two inverter machines as they take up so much less space.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

spent my day off working on getting the garage wired up, I'm about 90% finished wiring it up, and hope to schedule an inspection appointment ASAP, which probably means Monday at the earliest. Additionally, when I bought the place, the garage had two closet like spaces inside, I took the walls (or what remained of them) down and mad the garage one large open space. Currently, I have four, 8 foot long tube fixtures, with LED bulbs, I might add a 5th to go over the area where the closets were, as it's a little darker than I would like there.

This sketch is a basic overview of what's going on. The gray lines represent the walls that I took down, the red boxes are the 115V outlets I've installed, each walls outlets will be it's own breaker. The green block is where I plan to install a larger air compressor, I may try and trade my 27 gallon husky to my dad and get my old kobalt back, it's much larger than he needs, and probably still smaller than I would prefer to have, but definitely a step in the right direction. The yellow area is where I plan to setup the CNC plasma cutter, I have not yet decided where I will put the surface grinder.

When I get a compressor, I plan to set it up something like this:

The discharge of the compressor will go to a heat exchanger to bring the air temperature back down to ambient at a minimum. I thought about getting a mini fridge and filling a container with antifreeze and a pump to bring the air temp well below ambient, this will help condense most of the moisture in the humid southern air. After the heat exchanger it will go to a smaller tank, with a drain, ideally, I'll plumb the line in about 1/2 way up the side of the tank, then the air will go from there, I was thinking about having the air flow through the top to another tank to allow more space for the water to come out of suspension, but I'm starting to second guess that idea as being unnecessary. after that, the plan is to send the air to the main tank, I may also add a desiccant drier to the line feeding the plasma cutter, moist air kills plasma cutter consumables with a quickness, so anything to reduce moisture will pay for itself.

I also need to measure for the wiring for the compressor and the plasma, the plasma will need a 60 amp breaker to run, and the compressor will need a 30-40 amp breaker, both of which should use larger wire than what lowes or home depot carries in stock.

Hopefully I can get power before new years, but we'll see.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

In my experience painting in this humidity I haven't collected that much water in my separator. I like the idea but I wonder if it might be overkill for your plasma. If you decide you gotta have it I'll be paying attention to what you do.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Emc209i wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 am In my experience painting in this humidity I haven't collected that much water in my separator. I like the idea but I wonder if it might be overkill for your plasma. If you decide you gotta have it I'll be paying attention to what you do.
I know the manual for the plasma cutter specifies a -40f dewpoint, which is fairly hardcore, and I don't think too dry is a thing. I don't have a way to measure the moisture content yet, I'll have to look into a hygrometer
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

ericjon262 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 pm
Emc209i wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 am In my experience painting in this humidity I haven't collected that much water in my separator. I like the idea but I wonder if it might be overkill for your plasma. If you decide you gotta have it I'll be paying attention to what you do.
I know the manual for the plasma cutter specifies a -40f dewpoint, which is fairly hardcore, and I don't think too dry is a thing. I don't have a way to measure the moisture content yet, I'll have to look into a hygrometer

Friend of mine has one of these and says it works pretty good:

https://www.harborfreight.com/compresse ... 40211.html

We had the campbell hausfield example on the CMM at work and it did a great job of pulling water out.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I've been considering one of those as well, or making something similar to it.