The Hunt!/Eric's new dump.

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

ericjon262

Re: The Hunt!/Eric's new dump.

Post by ericjon262 »

I was FINALLY able to fire the plasma cutter tonight, and all I can say is man, this thing FUXXX! went through some scrap 1/16" steel, and about 1" into the slats on the water table! obviously, I need to make some adjustments to the machine but wow! it's badass! more to come once I have some G-code worth cutting!

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I got impatient... I think I'm going to get more consumables, down to 45 amp for more detailed stuff. the kerf on the 85 amp consumables is pretty huge, but a big part of that could be machine tuning/settings.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

Do you have a CAM software, or you're writing the G-code in a text editor?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm using sheetcam to convert dxf files to g code, langmuir system is supposedly coming out with a g code generator for their tables, if/when they do I'll try it out.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I started looking at house plans again. I've narrowed my search to two different layouts, I like the first floorplan a little better, but I don't care for the wrap around porch, I'm thinking that I'll change the plans to have just a front and back porch. these plans both fit most of the requirements that I have otherwise, the only one I'm missing, is that I would prefer to have a 1/2 bath as well, in the first plan, I could easily add one, the 2nd plan may be a little more difficult. I also need to look into local building codes to make sure that the plans meet code in my area, I may just take the sketches to someone local and see about having something drawn up that is a little more personalized, and meets code.

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplans/9 ... -bathrooms

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplans/8 ... -bathrooms
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I can't be the only one who enjoys cocktails by the pool?

I decided keeping the pool was an increasingly bad idea, I burned a massive brush pile, a old fence, and a bunch of other stuff in it for hours. the concrete was hot enough to explode in places due to steam behind the concrete. it punctured the bottom in a few places, and I found that the top of the water table, is higher than the bottom of the pool. the intense heat did quite a number on the concrete structure, and over the next few days, I'll get it filled in with dirt and ash.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

pool demolition continues...

The job has been a nightmare. I knew it wouldn't be a cake walk, but I also didn't plan on this level of fight... I'm thankful that I burned the brushpile in the deep end, as it made the concrete and block significantly weaker. unfortunately, I only burned the deep end, and by the time I got to the shallow end, I found the block extremely hard, and the chipping hammer I rented was barely putting a dent in it.

I set the shallow end on fire yesterday, and burned out as much as I could. tomorrow when I get home from work, I'll shovel the remaining ash and debris into the deep end, then I'll go at it again for a few hours a day with the chipping hammer. hopefully I have it finished by tuesday.

when I started chiseling it out, I used my air hammer. which was working, but it doesn't have the bite of a large electric chipping hammer like the one I rented. In doing so, my compressor was run at a much higher than typical duty cycle, and I found that the entire condenser I was using to cool the discharge had become heat soaked, and was marginally effective. to improve the cooling, I will install a blower to move air across it instead of relying on convection.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

ericjon262 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:07 pm I found that the entire condenser I was using to cool the discharge had become heat soaked, and was marginally effective. to improve the cooling, I will install a blower to move air across it instead of relying on convection.
If only someone had suggested that you mount it horizontally to aid convection...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:22 pm
ericjon262 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:07 pm I found that the entire condenser I was using to cool the discharge had become heat soaked, and was marginally effective. to improve the cooling, I will install a blower to move air across it instead of relying on convection.
If only someone had suggested that you mount it horizontally to aid convection...
you did, and afterwards, I did angle it off of the wall to aid in convection, it's not completely horizontal, but is greater than 45 degrees from vertical, probably close to 65-70 degrees.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

it's been about a month's worth of work. if there's ever a "next time" I'm paying someone.

all that's left is to smooth out the surface, and keep adding fill dirt as it settles.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I stalled on house plans... I sent some to a local draftsperson, but they never got back to me, which is probably a good thing, the plans I was looking at were nice, but also a bit outside of my needs, I've looked at a few more since, and I think I may be onto something I like that isn't too extravagant, 3 bed, 2 bath, attached 2 car garage (for vehicle storage not work) and about 1400 sq feet. The plans are also simpler to build, which is an important factor if I plan to do this myself.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Still no progress on house plans, at this point, I think I ought to just pick an off the shelf plan and run with it. (edit below)

in other news, I bought 14 Pecan trees.

I planted them in formations of equilateral triangles, this maximizes the available space, and provides the most cross pollination between trees, which should improve pecan output once the trees mature a bit more. typically, trees require a pollinator to be more productive, my pecans are no different, unfortunately, the farm I purchased them from only had one variety, so I left spaces in my pattern for pollinators to be planted once they become available.

the pattern resembles this, with green dots being trees currently planted, brown dots representing spaces reserved for pollinators, and white dots representing spaces planned for future expansion of the orchard.

I intend to continue planting more as time/funds permit, this may, among other things, allow me to get an agricultural exemption on my taxes, which could save me a considerable amount of money.

Edit:

I pulled the trigger on house plans... I had been looking for a while, I found something reasonable, that I could work with, and saved it. today I went through 61 pages of plans, and saved the same plans again, there were aspects about some of the other plans I liked, but I also don't need a 2000+sqft house. it'll have a crawlspace, not a basement like shown in the pictures.

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplans/8 ... -bathrooms
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

did my first "job" on the plasma cutter. these are parts to make a caster adjustment link bracket for a radius arm on my buddy's Jeep J10 Project. they aren't perfect, part of it was the design, I didn't leave any clearance in the drawing, and part of it was machine setup. I'm still trying to get it dialed in, but it should be ok for his needs, I'll work on tweaking the machine more and more until it's closer to perfect.

the two short pieces go under the front and back to locate the brackets on a piece of square tube. that larger rectangular part will go on the top of the brackets and help provide reinforcement.

I still have some learning to do, but this project got me to setup my smaller handheld plazma, and finally get the piece of 4x8x1/4" steel out of the bed of my truck.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Job number 2, for the same project.

These are spring perches and radius arm mounts for a Ford Dana 50 being installed in a 80 something Jeep J10. I found a few settings that seemed to make a pretty big difference in cut quality.

I have a loose plan in my head for a "vice" to square up material in the cutter. which would allow me to use a mag base drill press to make more precise holes marked by the plasma cutter, this could also simplify parts nesting and material changes as well. I'm going to call a local steel supplier tomorrow and see if they can get me setup with a sheet of 3/8" for making header flanges.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

Are you drawing the CAD files for this project?

If you're going to do this on the side, I guess you might find it more fulfilling to do the design + fabrication as opposed to build-to-print projects?

A lot of job shops are more into building-to-print; including design among your services might help you find a niche, and add variety and mental stimulation.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

pmbrunelle wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:24 pm Are you drawing the CAD files for this project?

If you're going to do this on the side, I guess you might find it more fulfilling to do the design + fabrication as opposed to build-to-print projects?

A lot of job shops are more into building-to-print; including design among your services might help you find a niche, and add variety and mental stimulation.
I drew these parts myself, the caster adjustment bracket was entirely my design, the spring perch/arm mount was my design, but based on measurements given, and a picture of what was needed.

today I picked up a sheet of 3/8" that I'm going to use to make exhaust flanges, I already have someone interested in a set of 10 flanges.

I drew new flanges to have round ports instead of d shaped in both the 3x00 pattern, and the LZ4/LZ9 pattern.

I'm going to do a test cut in the morning to verify everything is happy, and then load the 3/8" on the table.

I'm hoping to be able to do small jobs like the suspension parts, as well as exhaust flanges, and to eventually get a small library of DXF files assembled that I can then cut on a as needed basis. I enjoy the design aspect, I wouldn't turn someone away who had a DXF and needed something cut though, unless it was outside of my capability or capacity.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Keep in mind that changing caster on a solid axle driving front end changes pinion angle too, which can cause driveline vibration if the driveshaft has a single U-joint at each end.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:33 am Keep in mind that changing caster on a solid axle driving front end changes pinion angle too, which can cause driveline vibration if the driveshaft has a single U-joint at each end.
he is aware, they aren't really intended for changing caster on a regular basis, more just to allow for the caster and pinion angle to be changed during installation. and get it set where it needs to be.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Production parts! 5 sets of each flange in route to WOT Tech. the ports are round to facilitate easy fabrication, I'm considering producing D-port flanges as well.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Why are you sending to wot tech?

Just sell them yourselves. Ben will just steal it from you.