Crazy Pushrod Suspension Fiero on YouTube

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

eHoward
Banned

Crazy Pushrod Suspension Fiero on YouTube

Post by eHoward »

So while stumbling around youtube while looking at random nonsense to pass the time while I work out, I ran into this. Thanks youtube algos 8)

He cut holes through the wheel well, welded in mounts for some bell cranks and mounted QA1 coil overs up front!
Fiero-PushRod 1.png
Fiero-PushRod 1.png (3.42 MiB) Viewed 1085 times
Fiero-PushRod2.png
Fiero-PushRod2.png (3.3 MiB) Viewed 1085 times
Fiero-PushRod3.png
Fiero-PushRod3.png (3.07 MiB) Viewed 1085 times

https://youtu.be/rqmWpJA2nGM

It's crazy! I love this thing.

:good:
pmbrunelle

Re: Crazy Pushrod Suspension Fiero on YouTube

Post by pmbrunelle »

On its own, this mod doesn't appear to solve any problems... actually the bellcranks and coilovers take up space that didn't need to be occupied before.

I'm wondering if this is a supporting mod, to free up space around the A-arms in preparation of something else.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Looks like he cut more than holes into the wheel houses!

I guess this is a "Because Racecar" mod in this case...

Open wheel cars use pushrod operated coilovers for aerodynamic benefit, so they get the spring out of the airstream to clean the car up aerodynamically. Pushrod operated coilovers can also provide packaging benefits for fitting wider wheels and tires into available space.
I don't see either one being the case on the front end of a Fiero.

A secondary benefit for "HUGE AERO (TM)" cars is that the motion ratio can be less than 1... that is the shaft speed on the damper is higher than the jounce/rebound speed of the wheel. This makes it easier to build a damper to meet the ENORMOUS damping force requirements of cars that can drive on the ceiling.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I'm not going to make an argument for this being practical. I just think it's f'n awesome.

One could say:
  • It opens up a much wider list of vendors for spring/damper selection
  • It allows for much easier tuning and adjustment of the damper
  • It allows for a much wider range of spring rates and easier changes of them
  • I don't think that bell crank is aggressive but it could have been
  • It should lower unsprung weight although I'm not sure if it did here
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

With a normal progressive rate spring, one disadvantage (is it really?) is that the Q factor will vary with travel, because the spring rate changes with travel, while the damper remains constant.

One can use a bellcrank to set up a progressive rate effect. Doing things this way, the damping effect and spring effect are scaled together.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

eHoward wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:33 pm It should lower unsprung weight although I'm not sure if it did here
Do note that anything that moves with the wheel counts as ""unsprung".

Even though they appear on the body, the pushrod, bellcrank, and the moving half of the coilover shock move with the wheel.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I think it would make adjustable upper control arms easier. not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze though.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."