Bump Stops

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

eHoward
Banned

Bump Stops

Post by eHoward »

Anyone ever trim the bump stops on the front suspension? Any advice or words of wisdom if so?

I hope to emark on a suspension refresh soon and that will be on my list.

Thanks.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Bump Stops

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I cut mine down 1 inch when I installed the wcf lowering springs. I am not sure if I needed to but I did anyways just in case.

I used a cut off disc to do it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun, isn't your car an '88?

"Shortening the bump stops" on an '84-'87 car frequently involves cutting/welding the bump stop mount on the crossmember. The early car bump stops don't have much height or progressiveness to lose by cutting the rubber... They're pretty old school bump stops that basically just cushion overtravel impacts.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I have 2 pre88s unfortunately. I think Shaun has an 88.

This is may be a good excuse for me to buy either a cheap mig or fluxcore welder to get in there and get the top of the dome back on after cutting.

I am wondering if I should change the style of bumpstop to be more progressive while I am undertaking this now…
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The bump stop is inside the spring, so you have to take the spring out in order to access the bump stop "tower" (stalactite?)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Yes 88 year
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

eHoward wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:59 pm I hope to emark on a suspension refresh soon and that will be on my list.

Thanks.
Want a set of spherical bearing shells for your front lower (and rear, for that matter) control arms?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Yeah. I changed my mind on the soft springs and the spring that is in there is coming out and is being replaced with a 400lb/inch one to start tuning...
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:08 am The bump stop is inside the spring, so you have to take the spring out in order to access the bump stop "tower" (stalactite?)
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Not sure I am ready for those yet... an adjustable upper A-arm ... maybe :-)
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:33 pm
eHoward wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:59 pm I hope to emark on a suspension refresh soon and that will be on my list.

Thanks.
Want a set of spherical bearing shells for your front lower (and rear, for that matter) control arms?
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

eHoward wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:49 pm Yeah. I changed my mind on the soft springs and the spring that is in there is coming out and is being replaced with a 400lb/inch one to start tuning...
You want to rely more on the spring, or you want to use a new-style progressive bumpstop often?

Whatever you do, you should check that the shock absorber doesn't bottom out if you allow the A-arm to move more.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I’d like to up the rate and one of the benefits is the suspension should hit the bump stops less…. When it does hit the stop I’d like it to be less on/off so it doesn’t upset the vehicle as much.

After waiting a year+ for these Vikings I will definitely be testing the entire range of motion before taking it out :) :)
pmbrunelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:16 pm
eHoward wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:49 pm Yeah. I changed my mind on the soft springs and the spring that is in there is coming out and is being replaced with a 400lb/inch one to start tuning...
You want to rely more on the spring, or you want to use a new-style progressive bumpstop often?

Whatever you do, you should check that the shock absorber doesn't bottom out if you allow the A-arm to move more.