NA 3900 Build

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: NA 3900 Build

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Who made the offset coupler?
zok15

Post by zok15 »

Here is the ebay description:

HPS 3" - 4" (76mm - 102mm) Black Silicone Offset Reducer Coupler Hose 4" Long

You can find it sold at various sites but it was cheapest on ebay at $58 with free shipping.

The offset of the center of the inlet relative to the center of the outlet is 1/2”

It fits nicely on the N* TB and the construction looks to be good quality, the many layers are nicely bonded and it is not too squishy.
zok15

Post by zok15 »

Got a little done on the Fiero. First I wanted to post my cam specs for my own reference as I keep losing this spec sheet.

Back in the day when I cleaned up my firewall I got these weld on studs from McMaster and they looked pretty good originally, but now they look like crap and I want to get rid of them as well as the majority of the factory brackets. Yuck

I cut off the threaded portion and then ground each one of them down to nothing, there was no cutting these off, I welded way too much. The new brackets I add will just get some quick tack welds and will be easy to remove.

I also cut off all the remaining factory brackets everywhere else, but my phone died. I am going to do a little rust repair as there a couple minor areas I want to fix before they become major. Frame rails seem great but I will pull off the rear bumper and crash bar as well as the wheel liners in the rear to really get at everything and get a fresh coat of paint on everything. I will use some phosphoric acid as a rust remover/converter and then POR-15 everything. Going to paint the engine bay a gloss black so it is easy to clean. I have been not thrilled about doing this loud cramped metal dusty job, so I figured I should go ahead and just do it.

And I removed the torque struts for the rear decklid. I didn't plan to, but one broke over time and now they are useless. I plan to replace with some gas struts if anyone has suggestions. Going to leave the hooks in place in the event I want to put torque struts back in.

Gotta do some more CAD work for the headers but going to get started on those soon.

Just bought some Eastwood products, bought the internal frame coating spray with whip and 360* spray tip, some activator for the Epoxy primer I have, and a can of 2K Gloss Black to top coat the engine bay.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Going to spray epoxy primer inside frame rails?
zok15

Post by zok15 »

I got this for doing the frame rails though I may just use POR-15 if I can get in there deep enough and save this for my WRX's rocker panels. The tip at the end of the tubing sprays 360*.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-inter ... rosol.html

My brother replaced his rocker panels on his 98 Legacy GT and used this for the inside of them along with a 2K on the outside and it is still holding up years later while my rocker panels have been partially redone multiple times and painted with VHT epoxy chassis paint and have continued to rust away.

I will probably shoot the rest of the engine bay with the epoxy primer and do the 2K topcoat over it.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

zok15 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:41 pm I got this for doing the frame rails though I may just use POR-15 if I can get in there deep enough and save this for my WRX's rocker panels. The tip at the end of the tubing sprays 360*.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-inter ... rosol.html

My brother replaced his rocker panels on his 98 Legacy GT and used this for the inside of them along with a 2K on the outside and it is still holding up years later while my rocker panels have been partially redone multiple times and painted with VHT epoxy chassis paint and have continued to rust away.

I will probably shoot the rest of the engine bay with the epoxy primer and do the 2K topcoat over it.
They used a similar product on Project Binky, thanks for the link, I need to put this somewhere I'll remember it for another project...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
zok15

Post by zok15 »

Been pulling the rear end apart to repair any rust and paint everything I can.

More bay shaving done, many pesky brackets gone.

Tried to make a test setup to see how effective a box fan and filter can be at collecting angle grinder dust to prevent everything from getting covered.

After a few min of angle grinding with this nearby

It is doing things but not enough, I need a more powerful fan and a box made of air filters.

I remembered my rear crash bar being way rustier than this... I will clean it up and paint it.

A shot down the frame rails that I am trying to illuminate. They are really not bad, debating whether I should replace the metal piece that the original cradle nuts were captured by as it is the rustiest piece in here. I will have to cut that section out from the bottom. It may kill two birds with one stone though as I am going to need a big hole somewhere for better access to clean the frame rails out before painting. Hard to get deep in there. If anyone has methods I am all ears.

Shots from the outside, there's a few spots that need attention but nothing crazy. Going to replace all the sheet metal around the battery though, that is the worst area. I kind of regret all the snow drifting I did in college as the rear end was pretty mint when I originally took the body fully off (besides the windshield roof panel).

Trying to force myself to do all this stuff first because I don't want to do it, but it will be nice to get it out of the way and be able to focus on finishing everything else (the fun stuff). Inspecting it I probably could have left it alone, but I am already in here so might as well deal with it.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

My cutting/working area in the basement is near my home's electric furnace air intake. It has a 20"x20"x1" air filter.

If I do much dust generation, it doesn't take long to clog the filter. I often end up shutting off the ventilation system when making dust, to avoid clogging the filter in a weekend, as I have done.

To a point, dust can be knocked off the filter, and then the filter can be returned to service. So far, my experience is more with wood dust than metal/abrasive dust.

I'm not trying to make any particular point here; simply sharing possibly relevant experience!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

"The Fabrication Series" on youtube built a table with a few box fans and filters integrated it was a neat setup, and supposedly worked satisfactorily. I've been considering something similar for my shop, but I also have a few other considerations to attend to.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
zok15

Post by zok15 »

I found a fan that was in a train station ceiling, 0.8hp which is massive. I may go pick this up and mount it to the wall with some corrugated tubing that I can position near where I am making a mess. I think this will work well. Maybe mount a magnet on the tubing so it can stick next to whatever I am grinding, and I can use dryer vent tubing so it is non flammable.

In other news I wrapped up the STI (and got paid, more Fiero $$$) and I'm back working on the Fiero, I just ordered the SWAG bandsaw kit for my HF handheld bandsaw, this will let me mount it as a stationary bandsaw and I ordered the foot pedal with it as well. I have read nothing but good reviews about their products. I have been waiting to get paid for the side work to buy this stuff, and I have been holding off on the exhaust until I had a band saw to cut all the tubing. The chop saw I have been using for exhausts works well, but it is pretty much impossible to make a nice cut on a bend with it. With the bandsaw I can make near perfect cuts on the bends and get going on fabbing the headers and exhaust.

Plan for today is to cut out the old battery area and repair that as well as wirewheeling off all the rust I can and finding any other areas that need to be patched. I may chop out the bottom areas of the frame as well where that rusty plate supports the rear cradle bolts if I have time. Going to pull off the rear quarter behind the door on the battery side to make it easier. It is all held together with plastic rivets as I have taken this all apart before.

Any ideas on cleaning deep into the frame rails? I am sure cutting out the cradle mounting areas will help, maybe I can get my arm up in there. For the realllyyy deep areas, they don't seem rusty, just dirty, but I would like paint to adhere to those surfaces. Considering maybe a drain snake with microfibers wrapped around the end? Maybe I can find a really long cylindrical wirebrush and chuck it into the drill.

Also on the to-do list is welding some of the standoffs into the bay for the fuel lines, brake booster, and wire harness P-clips. I may reinforce the dog bone mount on the trunk wall as well as I will probably use a solid torque mount, and with the rubber engine mounts I don't want to bend the trunk wall.
zok15

Post by zok15 »

Well I pulled the rocker covers and lower rear quarters off and reached into the upper frame rails and felt some what felt like rusty flakes.

So I decided to just send it.

Rockers are in pretty mint condition thankfully

This was a total b**** to do alone but I managed. Going to need assistance for sure when it comes to putting it back on

The absence of the rear clip is going to make my life way easier with all this rust repair and wrapping up all the wiring and coolant line running etc, and now I don't need to worry about blasting it with angle grinder sparks. I am going to clean the rear window off and probably tape the whole thing up to protect it as I was not thrilled with what was getting blasted onto it as I cleaned up the firewall originally. Going to try and bang out a bunch more work today.
zok15

Post by zok15 »

Did not get to cut any metal out yet but I went ham with the angle grinder equipped with a wire wheel. It has really helped inform me of where metal needs to be cut out and replaced. Luckily besides the battery area it will all be small patches. I did set up a new set of shelves and re-organize the garage so all the body panels aren't taking up massive amounts of floor space.

Found a few places in the trunk that need patching, there is more on the other corner

You can see where the wire wheel broke through in several places

Got rid of most of the seam sealer, made a huge mess, lots of time went into this whole process

I am only taking of all this right now because there is no better time to do it, might as well do it once and do it right. Luckily the upper frame rails are fine, a couple spots inside with surface rust that I will make sure to paint with a rust converter.
zok15

Post by zok15 »

Getting back into this, stupid WRX kept breaking. Blew both headgaskets when the rad had a catastrophic failure and rod bearings were going, fully rebuilt it with new everything, ran perfect for 3 days and blew up - massive #4 rod bearing failure, whole motor is trash, metal in every bearings, new oil pump and everything ruined. Ripped it all apart, nothing was assembled incorrectly, all clearances were well within spec, seems like I waited too long to change the oil, filter got clogged enough in 260 miles that it let dirty oil bypass the filter. Swapped a motor in out of a JDM twin turbo legacy. Pretty much all the USDM components needed to be swapped over except the oil pump. 9:1 compression ratio vs 8:1 USDM so a bunch of tuning later and it is running decent. Too many miles to be a daily (330,000) so I bought a 2009 Honda Fit Sport with a 5 speed. This should help me have more time to spend on projects now, very relieved to have something reliable with good gas mileage. And a K24z swap with a Civic Si 6 speed is certainly in its future once the Fiero is running, would still be very daily driveable, it would be all oem Honda components besides mounts. Great handling car, very slow on the highway.

Anyways going to finish up the rust repair soon, fuel lines, wiring, intake, exhaust, yep. Working on the bus too but that's more of a daytime project, so I should be able to work on them both simultaneously. R6 pretty much done but can't really ride it this year now so it's back at the end of the list. Had to swap a new motor into it, that's all done. No more new projects until all my current ones are done. Where the hell did the last 5 months go.